Praxis

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by rhabib62, Mar 14, 2007.

1. rhabib62

rhabib62 New Member

Mar 14, 2007

Hello everyone, first I would like to introduce myself, then I would like to ask for help. My name is Nicole, I have three boys my oldest is in college. Five years ago I decided to go back to school and major in elementary education, everything was going great until I decided to take my praxis. I took it five times and each time I am failing on 10 points. Last semester was my internship and I had to drop the semester because I did not pass the praxis. Please help me what can I do? I need to pass this test and I do not know how. I tried taking the test without preparing for the test, I also prepared well for the test.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2007

Welcome to A to Z, rhabib62. You're not the only person in the world who struggles with teacher tests, and I think you'll find some help here.

Which Praxis are you talking about? There's Praxis I/PPST, which is basic skills - reading comprehension, writing, math. There are Praxis II exams, which are more about subject area knowledge.

4. rhabib62

rhabib62 New Member

Mar 15, 2007

Praxis 1

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2007

What have you done to prepare?

6. rhabib62

rhabib62 New Member

Mar 15, 2007

I bought two different study guides, the ETS and the ARCO. I read the information and I took the Praxis tests. My problem is that I am doing fine on the practice tests but when I go to take the real test this is when I mess up the test. I am not a good test taker and I believe this is part of my problem. Or maybe I am not preparing for the test the right way. P.S my GPA in college is 3.5, and I always did good in Math and English.

7. rhabib62

rhabib62 New Member

Mar 15, 2007

Sorry I meant the practice tests

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2007

One possibility is that you're overthinking the tests - that seems pretty plausible, in fact, given that you report that you're not a good test taker. (Which reminds me: please stop saying that about yourself. It tends to turn into a self-fulfilling prophecy.)

When you're taking the test, try imagining as vividly as possible that you're just working on a practice test. That, or try thinking about how you'd help SOMEONE ELSE work through the question.

Does your difficulty seem to be in math or in reading or in essay writing? Do the score reports give more specific feedback?