Praxis with a Concussion

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by 2good, Apr 12, 2015.

1. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Does anybody know how hard it is or can be to pass a Praxis test with a concussion? I was diagnosed with a concussion due to an altercation I had with a student by a neurologist. ETS refuses to give me any accomodations and based on the health insurance I have with my university to allow the physician answer the questions ETS has given me would be a copay of about $300. I have taken the test several times with my highest grade being 155 and the lowest 141. My state requires a 168. I really believe that since this will be my tenth time taking the test the concussion has something to do with it. The US Dept of Education has even recognized my TBI and has waived the loans from both undergraduate and graduate schools, but ETS refuses to acknowledge it.

I hope this does not come off rude or disrespectful, but I would prefer someone other than Teachergroupie to help me. I realize she is a moderator.

3. msleep

msleep Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

You were injured by a student? Why is the school not paying all of the healthcare related expenses?

4. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

The school did pay for me to see the neurologist, but ETS is saying according to their standards the letter does not give enough detail. They have sent a series of approximately 20 questions asking questions like what cognitive tests did the neurologist perform on me to make the diagnosis. To me the neurologist ltr was fine, it waived me from doing an additional two weeks in my student intership and paid for my loans.

5. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Do you think I should consult an attorney?

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

How long ago was the concussion?

7. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

It was over a year ago, but the form from both the Dept of Education and ETS state you can report injuries from up to three years of incident.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 12, 2015

The only thing I can tell you is that ETS has really tightened their required evidence needed for waivers. Since many students have learned to milk the system with vague and unspecified LD, ETS asks for much more specific tests and the effect on the cognitive impact than 10 years ago. If the neurologist is willing to go on record and substantiate that there is now a cognitive deficit where one did not exist before, you may get your extended time, but if his testing can't prove that, ETS probably won't budge.

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 12, 2015

Did the US DoE determine that you are permanently disabled? Did they do so on the basis of only a letter from the doctor?

10. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

My concern would be that if your concussion causes you to not know the material on the test, how would you know it well enough to teach it?

11. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 12, 2015

I don't think that was rude or disrespectful, but I think it limits the information you'll receive. In my opinion, TeacherGroupie knows more about the topic than anyone else on this site. I checked your other threads and don't understand the reason for your request, but you're certainly entitled to make that request.

12. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Thank you Lyne, that was very helpful. It just seems strange that USDof Ed and my univ recogize my injuries, but ETS won't.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

I'm very concerned that your concussion from over a year ago is still potentially affecting you cognitively. I have sons who ave played contact sports...football, rugby, lacrosse...and have ad concussions. They are n something to mess with. But despite each f my ons aving several concussions, one jst earned his MBA and the other is a recent college grad and is successful in his area of business. If you are having difficulties with cognitive tasks, do you continue to believe this is a profession where you can succeed?

14. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

I never asked for my concussion, I was simply trying to break up a fight between two high school students during my internship. I was the only adult in a sea of about one hundred high school students. My head hit the locker and the teachers were in the lounge celebrating a birthday party, when the bell had rang and the students were coming up from lunch.

15. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

I don't post that much on this site, but I really was desperate and needed help.

16. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

That's not really relevant to the situation, though.

If your concussion is causing you to be unable to pass a basic skills test for teachers, then how can you expect to actually teach any of that stuff to students?

Incidentally, were you advised to physically intervene in a fight, particularly as an intern? That seems like a bad decision, and your concussion is the proof.

17. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Again, I am 13 points from passing, it is just frustrating on people have come on this site saying they made over 170. I am getting 66 of the multiple choice questions right.

18. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Excuse me. This state requires you pass the basic test before you have the internship. I have passed the Core test. We have three Praxis tests needed to graduate. I am talking about the content area. Thank you for telling me I got what I deserve, now I know why I don't post here often. The mentor teacher should have been with me and one of her colleagues told me I should have sued her. Believe me my mentor teacher got in trouble for that.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

There will always be those who score higher, have more experience, interview well. I can empathize with your frustrations but your inability to pass the test shouldn't cause frustrations with those who have passed or with the standards of the testing service.

I don't understand why you think your CT should have been with you during a lunch hour. I've mentored 5-6 student teachers and my expectation was they should be able to independently walk students through hallways to specials, do administrative tasks on their own and that I didn't need to hold their hand during a free lunch period. If you were never taught school policy regarding student management/fights, etc, that would be a reason to perhaps question those who prepared you for your ST experience.

Again, I'm terribly sorry for your injury. I do wish you well. But I don't think lowering a passing score would well serve you or potential students you might teach.:sorry:

20. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

What kind of tests are you required to take to obtain an MBA? I know someone with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome and they have a MBA, too.

21. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Apr 12, 2015

My son is an accounting MBA grad from a prestigious university. I can assure you his assessments and projects were as, or more, rigorous than a Praxis.

22. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

If you want to talk about family members with degrees, I can talk with you too. My sister graduated from Mayo Medical School, has a medical residency from Massachusetts General and completed her fellowship from University of PA in gastroenterology.

Our mother is a certified teacher and like she said the time I spent wasting arguing with some of you, I could have spent studying.

My people came by boat and chain did not have the luxury to make on call to American Airlines, I am a descendent of black slaves.

Take care!

23. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

They students were coming back up from lunch and the bell had rang, but she still in the teacher lounge. I did not ask to lower the score, I just asked if my TBI was hurting my chances of not passing it.

24. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 12, 2015

Let me try again....

Did the US DoE determine that you are permanently disabled?

25. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Yes.

26. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 12, 2015

In that case, you may be able to request the documentation that was submitted for the determination from the DoE. That may be enough for ETS.

By the way, you do realize that if you attain employment within the next 2 years, your loans will probably be reinstated, right?

27. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Apr 12, 2015

The problem with ETS is that it is a for-profit organization and may not be subject to the same accommodation requirements as other entities. If you are permanently disabled, you might want to talk with a civil rights attorney about whether you're covered under ADA legislation. It doesn't matter how you received your injury. If it is a permanent one, you could have grounds to request and receive some accommodations. One of my high school friends is legally blind and successfully sued to have extra time on the bar exam, so it is possible.

The reason TeacherGroupie is the moderator specifically for this sub-forum is because she is the resident expert on testing rules and regulations.

28. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

I sent both businesses the same letter from the neurologist, but thank you. Yes, I am aware about the loan reinstatement policy.

29. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Thank you Cat.

30. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Apr 12, 2015

ETS is obligated to do everything in their power to keep the "standardized" portion of "standardized testing" as pure as possible. These scores should be as free of bias as possible, or they are no longer valid for all. Like I said, I have seen savvy parents suddenly seek to have a HS student classified, just to get extended time on the SAT and other standardized tests.

If you look at it from ETS's perspective, you might, or might not have been able to pass the exams before. Now, you are asking them to fall in line with a letter, lacking the cognitive tests that should prove or disprove the valid need for extended time. They are not going to drop the passing score, but if the doctor presents the tests that they require, you may be allowed additional time. I guess I would have to ask - have you been a good test taker in standard time before, or have you always struggled a little to complete essay questions when coupled with the multiple choice sections too?

Your options may include a full neurological workup, assuming that you have medical coverage, or if the original complaint from the injury would cover this. You might do all of this and not meet the requirements, but it is the hoops you jump through to try to prove your claim. ETS is not denying your injury or disabled status, only requesting enough verification of cognitive deficit to warrant allowing more time.

My son has a visual deficit, and over 10 years of varied ETS exams, the proof that the disability warranted more time tightened considerably. What was originally unquestioned became tedious to document, but I did understand why. The best part for my son is that with the advent of the computer versions of the tests, his need for any additional time virtually disappeared. Does he still have a visual disability? Yes, but using the computer, instead of trying to track answers on a bubble answer sheet, and then write answers to essays by hand is an equalizer.

The DOE and university have no problem recognizing your injury - they know that ETS has their back, so to speak. If you never are able to pass the Praxis Exam, then the decision of the DOE doesn't matter - teacher certification is there to catch anyone with severe enough cognitive deficits that they can't pass the exams.

You need to kick this back to the doctor, invest in the tests that ETS is requesting, or try without a waiver until you can claim success. I do wish you the best of luck.

31. comaba

comaba Cohort

Apr 12, 2015

You also gave the DoE permission to get records from your physician when you applied for the waiver. It's possible that they have the additional documentation that ETS requires.

32. 2good

2good Rookie

Apr 12, 2015

Thank you Lynett. Very, very helpful!

33. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Apr 12, 2015

I would certainly take your mother's advice!

"My people came by boat and chain did not have the luxury to make on call to American Airlines, I am a descendent of black slaves." Please explain the relevance of this quote to you passing the exam?