Praxis takers on Aug 5

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Jessica-GA, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Jessica-GA

Jessica-GA Rookie

Aug 5, 2006

Just wondering how everyone feels they did this morning? I took 0016 and feel like it could go either way. I felt really good about most questions but there were some that I had to double check. So how did you do? I know there were a few taking 0012 today. Let's hope the next 4 weeks go by fast!

Jessica

3. 1stGradeDreams

1stGradeDreams New Member

Aug 6, 2006

I'm a little freaked out. I found out about my test (Elem Ed. 0014) the day before I had to take it!:eek:

So I spent the night at Barnes & Noble studying the "What your ____-grader needs to Know" series (thanks to advice on this forum;) ).

Some people are able to pass without studying at all but I'm a career switcher, haven't taken a standardized test in more than 6 years! I think the studying helped on Science and Social Studies. I feel positive that these will be my worst areas.

Not sure how I did but reading these posts it seems like you don't have to get anywhere near a perfect score to pass.

But most of all, I feel kind of sad at the way the Elem. Ed. test is done. I want to do early education (Pre-K through 3). But the test seems mostly geared to 4-6 grade knowledge.

I have a law degree and a bachelor's in economics. But I thought the Praxis II test was quite difficult. Maybe if I had more than a day to study I would feel differently:rolleyes:

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2006

1stGradeDreams, few people pass a Praxis II with no study. I suspect you'll find that you did better than you think.

5. ~Teacher~

~Teacher~ Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I took Praxis Middle School Lang Arts and Middle School Social Studies....I thought the first one was easy...but the SS one was very tough....some of the questions I've never heard of...lol...

6. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Aug 7, 2006

On Saturday I took the Middle School Mathematics Praxis test for the 3rd time. Like Jessica-GA, I feel like it could have gone either way. It never fails --it just seems that no matter how much I study or what I study, whether I put more emphasis on the arthemitic and problem solving end of the Math spectrum, or focus more on the algebra and geometry side of the spectrum, when it comes to the test nothing that I study is really on it. I went all out this time, studied Praxis test books, got a Middle School Math book and read chapters and did problems, even made flashcards and such.

Needless to say that this being my 3rd time taking this test. I just want pass so I never have to worry about it again. (Ummm... Praxis is only a 1 time thing right? We don't have to take them again in another 5 or 10years do we?) I'm just ready to graduate come December 2006, hopefully with a Middle School Education degree...but if I should fail this Praxis, I will have to settle for a Liberal Arts degree. *sighs* But hopefully I will have done better than I think and get a passing score (for VA it's 163..the past 2 times I've taken it, I've gotten 145.)

I know I don't know many of you being a new member and all, but I hope you won't find me to bold to ask you guys to keep me, Mr. MiddleSchool in your Praxis Passing prayers and thoughts!

-Mr.MiddleSchool

7. agray

agray Rookie

Aug 7, 2006

I took the 0014 Elementary Content Knowledge, I felt like it could go either way. Good luck

8. kbat

kbat Rookie

Aug 8, 2006

I took the 0014 also on Aug. 6. I thought it could go either way. I thought the English and history wasn't so bad. But I thought the science was pretty hard. I had studied all the major stuff, but some of the questions got very specific. some of the books were kind of generalized I guess so I really couldn't handle those specific questions....

I went in thinking I knew the math, but it didn't really seem to have stuff that I studied or that were on the practice tests.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for everyone.

9. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

August 5th Praxis

Are any of you planning to call tomorrow for your score? I am. Good luck to all.

10. kbat

kbat Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

I think I am just going to wait for the paper one to be mailed. I need the scores for grad school, and I can't apply until spring semester. Good luck to you.

11. SeattleFlo

SeattleFlo New Member

Aug 31, 2006

Score reports now available by phone for August 5th test - Praxis 0014

Of course, it's 25 dollars.

(=

-SeattleFlo

12. Dream2Teach

Dream2Teach New Member

Aug 31, 2006

I will definitely be calling first thing tomorrow morning. This will be my third time callng for these scores. I want to put this behind me. It has been looming over my head since April and I just want it to be over. I think that my problem with the exam (0014) is the time that you have to complete the exam. 120 minutes for 120 questions. I feel that they should give an extra 1/2 hour or so. The timing is what makes me freak out.

Good luck to anyone that is waiting on score reports.

13. SeattleFlo

SeattleFlo New Member

Aug 31, 2006

Scores are READY! Just got my via phone...

Scores are READY! Just got my via phone...
    :)

14. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Aug 31, 2006

I can't believe I passed

Hi all,

After all this stupid stressing...I passed with plenty of room to spare.

Good luck to everyone!!!

Thanks to Caspian and TeacherGroupie for your support!!!

Now I can relax!

15. Dream2Teach

Dream2Teach New Member

Aug 31, 2006

OMG-I passed!

Hi all,

I just called ETS and found out that I passed! Third time must definitely be a charm!

Congratulations to everyone out there!

I AM GOING TO BE A TEACHER! I am so HAPPY!

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2006

Way to go, hopetoteach and Dream2Teach! Make sure you think about what you did that helped you pass and how you can hand on test-passer attitudes to your future students. And don't forget to celebrate your accomplishments, please.

Seattle, do you mean you passed, I hope?

17. Dream2Teach

Dream2Teach New Member

Aug 31, 2006

Thanks TeacherGroupie! This test definitely taught me more than I ever thought it could.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2006

Oh, tremendous! That's really the point of the exercise: not just passing some &^#$@! test, but brushing up the learning and sharpening the skills (and remembering what it's like to have to take some &^#$@! test), so as to be better equipped to help one's future students. And for your future students, your attitude bodes really well.

Let me steal 25YearsIn's felicitous line: I'm launching a Frisbee in your honor!

19. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 1, 2006

I was literally hopping around my classroom today after calling. I had to take the middle school math and the middle school science tests for my endorsement (which was a condition upon which I was hired.. that I pass and obtain the end.). I was so convinced that I failed the science one that I even signed up for the upcoming test date. So I am getting a refund! :) But more than that, I passed !!! (198-math, 178-science)

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 2, 2006

Huzzah, myangel52! Please spend some time thinking about what YOU did to pass - that 198 is a pretty convincing score, so it can't just have been luck. And make sure you celebrate properly.

21. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 3, 2006

Thanks... :)

Regarding the math, I have always been good at math, but I spent about 2 weeks brushing up on all the stuff in the study guide. I spent about a month and a half going through everything on the science study guide, and still didn't finish. I spent so much time reading and searching the internet for the information that I started having headaches! (Not good, so I know I need to get my eyes rechecked soon.)
    Basically, I studied like I had never studied before. It's the only way for me to learn things. Study and practice. Lather, rinse, repeat... Just joking. I even found practice problems so I could practice things that I wasn't 100% clear in. I highly recommend setting up some sort of study routine if one is preparing for this sort of test. The content study guides are helpful, though a bit vague.

22. kbat

kbat Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

well I passed

:wow: I did pass. I didn't call up for the test scores before hand. After taking the test, of course I wasn't really sure if I would pass or not. I did study for about a month, all though towards the end I was all studied out and didn't spend nearly as much time studying. I got a 182 and for me 145 was passing.

After all that, I may have to take the PPST I for a different graduate school I want to get into, but I need to pass this test to be able to student teach anyway. At the very least, I've gotten some confidence.

Hope everyone else did well also.

23. Praxisanxiety!

Praxisanxiety! New Member

Sep 9, 2006

I took the praxis on August 5 and still have not received my scores!! I took the 0012 and 0016 for early childhood education. I really don't have $25 to spare to get my scores. I am so frustrated. I called and they said that they mailed the results Tuesday, but I haven't gotten them yet. Congrats to all of you that called and passed! I just needed to vent a little. :)

24. kbat

kbat Rookie

Sep 9, 2006

i received mine on Thurs. I don't know where they come from, but hopefully, you'll get them soon.

25. Praxisanxiety!

Praxisanxiety! New Member

Sep 10, 2006

I finally got my results yesterday!! I passed! I am so excited. I was really nervous about that test and didn't think I passed the essay test, but I did better on that one than the other one! I j ust wanted to share the news :):D :)

26. Dream2Teach

Dream2Teach New Member

Sep 10, 2006

Congratulations Praxisanxiety! I am very happy for you! I am glad that you shared the news! Doesn't it feel great to have this behind you? When I found out that I passed, I felt like a ton of weight had been lifted off of my shoulders.

Congratulations!

27. myangel52

myangel52 Comrade

Sep 10, 2006

Congrats, Praxisanxiety! Maybe now you can change your name! :) (I don't know if you can in fact do that, but you know what I mean, right?)

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 10, 2006

Yes, you can change your A to Z name (sorry I don't recall exactly how, but it probably involves visiting the User CP in the upper left hand corner of the A to Z page).

Congratulations, Praxisanxiety! and kbat! kbat, 182's a good score. Make sure you celebrate your success.

29. kbat

kbat Rookie

Sep 20, 2006

thanks TeacherGroupie!!! All that needless worry about nothing!!!! Thanks to all your helpful hints (ie that science book).

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 21, 2006

You're welcome, kbat. Now go pay it forward: teach your students not to get so tied in knots about the tests they have to take.