Praxis Scores

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Carebear05, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

I have a question about praxis scores-those great lil tests we all had to take. Around here you have to send in your praxis scores to fill your application file. I sent in the one that I received from Praxis 2 because it had my Praxis 1 scores on there too. I made sure that I highlighted the ones I wanted them to look at because I took them more than once. Anyway, in VA the scores are the highest in any other state, but they made it to where we didnt have to pass each of them separately but could get a composite score. Well I got the composite score and stopped taking them because that was good enough. The principal I interviewed with on Tues. brought Praxis up (which made me nervous) and asked if I had taken them again because I hadnt passed all the subjects. I told him that I had gotten the composite score, which I guess he didnt pay attention to. Thing is I have my license so obviously I passed them.

Anyway, my question is do you think they really look at Praxis scores? I mean if a principal were deciding between 2 candidates and one did exceptionally well on them the other didnt, do you think theyd choose the one who scored better? I mean my interview went great but when he brought that up it made me nervous. I just didnt see any need in paying more money to try and pass all of the subjects individually when the comp. score was good enough for me to get my license. What do yall think?

3. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 10, 2007

In Texas, our test is called the ExCET, and one lovely reporter at a local T.V. station in Houston requested all of the scores for all of the teachers in the greater Houston area. Then they posted them on their website. It tells exactly which tests you took, how many attempts it took you to pass, and what your specific score was for each test. *sigh*

Teachers screamed that it was a violation of privacy, but in truth, those scores are a matter of public record. Still, quite a few teachers were MORTIFIED, as you can imagine.

So, will your principal ever care? Down here, the principal would have to cut through a lot of red tape to even see the scores (unless you were in Houston, and he had the link to the T.V. stations website). BUT one day, it might come back to haunt you like it did many people down here.

Isn't it sad that with everything else we have to worry about, we have to add snotty pseudo journalists to our list. Ugh.

4. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 10, 2007

First, I may be WAY off base since I did not take the Praxis tests (yet). In Michigan, they have their own test, the MTTC (Michigan Test for Teacher Certification). And, we have no composite score. You take each section/subject separately and have to pass each to get licensed. You only take the sections you have adequate coursework in. For example, I have passed the Basic test, the Elementary Ed test, the Early Childhood test, the K-8 Math test and the K-8 Social Studies test.

I think it would be to your benefit to have a passing score in all areas. What areas did you not pass? Would this be an area you would have to teach? Are you el or HS? If I were a principal, I would be not hire someone who has not passed a test in an area they will be teaching.
    Then again, Virginia is not a competitive market. There are plenty of jobs (I have found tons personally). So, maybe it isn't a big deal...

5. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 10, 2007

Well I missed Reading and Math both by one point. But the topic of the scores has never come up before. I think he thought I hadnt passed at all, but down here you have to pass Praxis 1 to even student teach and you cant get yer license if you dont student teach. So like I said I'm licensed and everything. I really dont see the tests as being that important because they now have something where if you scored a certain amount on yer SATs then you dont even have to take the Praxis. So there are ppl out there who havent even taken the test. So to me I dont see how they can compare someone who has taken it to someone who has not. Not to mention, some ppl just arent good test takers. I dont think those tests prove whether or not yer a good teacher.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

True that those tests don't prove whether or not a person is a good teacher, but then again that's not their intent, no matter what the rumors say.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 11, 2007

Reading and math are the two most important areas. I think it would be beneficial for you to retake them. Tests may not prove that you are a good teacher. Yes, you can have someone who passed with flying colors that is a bad teacher. But, this is teaching. You have to know and thoroughly understand the subject matter you are presenting.
    I have applied for a few hundred districts this year, and 95% asked for my test scores. They definately, for the most part, look at the scores. Your chances of landing a great job would improve drastically if you retook them.
    JMO

8. Occabacca

Occabacca Companion

Jun 11, 2007

I too have failed one part of Praxis 1 (writing), but my composite score was high enough that i passed. I did extremely well on Praxis 2.
    I too am a little worried but it shows on the overall score-passed. I think I would tell a principal that , I would retake the part I failed if it meant me being turned down but I am confident that my writing ability cannot be determined by the praxis test.
    Those test are soo expensive and long and nerveracking. I thin they are a waste of time and money and cannot determine your teaching ability.

9. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

You're right. I know someone I went to college with who took it like 7 times. The fact is, some people are not good test takers, and not all of us are made of money. Those tests are not cheap. I decided that when I was in college and got the comp. score that I was going to stick with it because I was going to a private college that cost like 20 some thousand a yr. and the tests were over $100. I'm sure my parents probably paid for them too and I really didnt want them to keep paying. I dont think people take things like that into consideration. But I'm like you I passed Praxis 2. To me Praxis 2 was more important because it actually focused on your area.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 11, 2007

Um.

Fact is, in this age of NCLB - which will not be ending any time soon - part of the teacher's job is to help kids pass their tests. This means that test taking skill itself is valued, and it follows that "some people just aren't good test takers" is a recipe for disaster.

What's more, the sorts of skills tested by examinations like Praxis I/PPST and CBEST and the like are the bedrock skills of education: reading comprehension, fundamental mathematics, and clear, concise writing. I'll add that the standard five-paragraph essay is a fine framework for a job application letter.

When a person does not do well on basic skills tests, the take-home lesson is not that that person will be a bad teacher, but surely it is that the person has some catching-up work to do. And if a person has to retake such a test repeatedly, that doesn't mean to me that the person should give up, but it certainly does suggest that the person might need to find a different way to prepare - taking a class or two, or finding a different book to prepare from or engaging a tutor who can shed light on the skills and on how the skills are useful. As to books, I like LearningExpress's Skill Builders series for that reason.

11. lmjcatz

lmjcatz Rookie

Jun 11, 2007

When I interviewed last year for a position, I interviewed with the assistant superintendent early in the day and the principal later that same afternoon. The a.s. commented several times on the high scores I had achieved on the Praxis I and II. I got the job. I feel like the test scores did give me an edge up-I had just graduated and had no experience. The principal never said a word about the scores so I don't know if he had them or not. On the other hand, I know people who have taken the test(s) multiple times to pass/raise scores and they are employed-so who knows?!?

12. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

Well it's only come up that one time out of all the times I've interviewed. I personally don't feel that a principal would even interview someone if they were that concerned about their test scores, but maybe that's just me.