Praxis Score (possible retake)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Johnjoel, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Johnjoel

Johnjoel Companion

Aug 19, 2014

Hello everyone,

I live in Pennsylvania and recently received a passing score for the Educational Leadership SLLA. I passed with a score of 178, which according to ETS is slightly higher than the median score of 174. I feel like if I took the test again, I could achieve a higher score. When I took the test, I was a month away from our wedding day and my parents seemed to be near divorce. Needless to say, I was STRESSED OUT.

At first, I was pleased with the score, but have heard a great number of my colleagues who have taken the test say that they rocked the test, all scoring between 189-192 out of 200.

My question is, would it be worth taking the test again in order to achieve a higher score in order to stay in the same league and stay competitive with the (many) people who have aced the test?

Thank you all!

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

If it's like all the other praxis exams, nobody cares about the score, just that you passed. Everything else on your resume will matter far more.

Actually, many applications don't even ask for Praxis scores--they just ask if you passed.

The only time I would consider retaking a Praxis is if your score might not be high enough to transfer to another state later on. In that case, retaking while the material and test are fresh might be a good idea.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2014

Pretty much if you pass, you pass. I am a person who loves a great score, and I always study hard to try to achieve that, but the passing score on that exam is 163, not 174, so I think that 178 is solid enough to stand on its own. You just got married, don't you have something else to spend your money on other than retaking a test that isn't even close to being borderline? I would ask someone in a hiring position whether or not they would blink an eye at that score before committing more time, effort, and money to retake. ETS gets enough of our money, as it is, IMHO.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2014

You're fine. You're done. Move on.