Praxis question?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Aug 22, 2014.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Aug 22, 2014

Good evening-

I am currently licensed to teach one subject (I am a third year teacher) and I have recently taken another praxis to add that endorsement to my license. I just got my score today and found out that I did not pass it. I am currently set to teach the new course this year...

My concern is this: Can I still teach the course? I am VERY confident that I am able to do so, even if the test doesn't reflect my capability.

I've already sent an email to her to let her know of my score (and I am awaiting the reply). I am a little nervous, mostly because I feel like I've let her and the guidance department down.

What are the rules about a teacher teaching a course that he doesn't have an endorsement in? Can he still teach the course, provided that he eventually earns the required endorsement?

Thanks kindly.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2014

The rule under NCLB is that, if a district has a teacher who doesn't have the endorsement teaching a class that requires it, the district must notify parents that their child is being taught by a teacher who isn't Highly Qualified.

Not surprisingly, districts purely hate to send out a letter like that.

4. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Aug 22, 2014

I forgot to mention- I teach in Virginia, and also that we are no longer an NCLB state.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2014

What Virginia is no longer is a CC state, I think: that's a different matter.

To the best of my knowledge, the rules on Highly Qualified that NCLB laid down haven't gone away.