Praxis Physics 5265 and General Science 5435 - Study Guides

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by CanIteachPhysic, Jan 28, 2015.

1. CanIteachPhysic

CanIteachPhysic Rookie

Jan 28, 2015

Hello all,

I am looking to become a Physics teacher in NJ after working in another profession for about 20 years (Alternate Route).

In order to get a certificate, I need to pass the Physics 5265 and General Science 5435 Praxis Exams.

I am looking for advice on study materials. The Physics seems kinda obvious. - Picking up a few HS and College level Physics books and few of the study guides aimed at SATs, Physics for Dummies, etc. But, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The General Science 5435 test has me a little stumped. Because it is a very wide ranging test (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Earth and Space Science and General Science) there aren't any real books aimed at this test. ETS has one book, but it seems to be more of a listing of topics than study material. Any suggestions on study guides?

Finally, any good/bad experiences with the various sites that sell "tests"? I've heard good and bad things about several of them. - Outdated, very few questions on the test, multiple tests are simply the same test re-arranged, etc. The last thing I want do is rely on a bad materials.

Thanks and hope to see you in the classroom.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 28, 2015

How are you generally as a test taker, and what's your background in science?

4. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jan 30, 2015

I was an engineer previously so I had a background in science. If you have any type of background such as this then you will have no trouble with the physics praxis.

To study, I bought a physics praxis guide and studied it for about a week. Test was exactly as expected.

5. CanIteachPhysic

CanIteachPhysic Rookie

Jan 31, 2015

Test taking I am generally good. I graduated with BSEE, but haven't used the stuff in 20 years. I am not starting with nothing in the brain, but need to relearn a bunch of stuff.

Msleep - do you racially which guide and how long ago?

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 31, 2015

Sounds like you need to knock rust off, CanI. Go to the local Barnes & Noble, buy a nice latte or something, and spend some time leafing through the available study guides. Choose the one that ticks you off the least and/or that focuses in on what you need the most. Then plan on supplementing its explanations with the Internet: this is where Wikipedia is very much your friend, but rummaging around the Web will also locate you resources that will help inform your teaching.

For content review per se, and especially on the secondary level, it's often the case that study guides specific to a test serve less well than do more general guides marketed for people taking AP or college coursework.

7. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jan 31, 2015

I was from Mometrix Media LLC. There are probably many that are similar. Make sure you do also study what happens at relativistic speeds(length contraction, time contraction, etc.).

I took the test about 4 years ago.