Praxis Ii

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by cinmcl61, Nov 11, 2005.

1. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005

So NH teachers are not HQT according to the federal government. So now we are required to take the Praxis II in Elementray Education or a note will go home saying we are not HQT. I started my education late (I was 40 when I went back to school). I did not do well on the practice test since this was stuff I learned in the 70's.

So my question - how many have you have had to take this test. There are workshops to get ready for the test but these are pricy and they are all day in each subject. It has been years since I learned this stuff and since I am a new teacher I am very nervous.

Any advice would be appreciated.

3. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 11, 2005

I've taken it. Study your theorists. When you do the case studies, be able to back everything up.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 11, 2005

I would see if your school system would pay for a Praxis II workshop for those of you that need to take it. I'm sure you aren't the only one.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Nov 11, 2005

I took it, it wasn't all that bad. My best advice is to go to the website and buy the books!! They are expensive, but it is worth it because they explain everything to you...why and answer is best or not. I was able to resell mine on Ebay for only like $5 less than what I originally paide for them. You might even be able to find them at a library. In any case, I thought they were a big help.

6. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 11, 2005

What are the books? Praxis II written by?

7. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005

I am in a poor district and the workshops and the test will not be paid for - we have to do this on our own. I just feel that it has been so long since I have studied any of this stuff - I am hoping the workshops and the books are helpful.
    Now as for case studies - i did not see that on the practice test - do you mean back up everything with stuff I should know?
    Mand this 44 year old new teacher is a bit worried, especially since I only teach reading and LA. Science, SS and Math have me a bit nervous ;-)

8. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Nov 11, 2005

Do you have to take the content Knowledge test for each of those subjects? I'm not even sure what the Praxis 2 covers. Aren't there a ton of different tests. Can you take the Praxis 2 online?

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Nov 11, 2005

There are lots of PRAXIS tests. I had to take a content knowledge test, and a case study test (can't remember what it was officially called).

Yes you can take it online, but only at pre-approved sites.

Yes back up everything you write with things you know. "I know Johnny needs this type of strategy because..." If you have a theorist that you like, use examples to help.
    As for buying the expensive books, I didn't and I passed with flying colors.

10. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005

We were told this particular test in paper and pencil only - although I will check out taking it on the computer. This is a content knowledge test - specific ss, science, math - on of the questions on the practice test was what mountain range is Mt Rainer in - I knew it was in the west so I said Rockies - I was wrong it was in the Casscades. Then there was a question on India that I could not answer correctly. I did not see any case study questions on the practice test - I hope there are because I feel I would do better on those. The plus side is I get to use a calculator for the math part.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 11, 2005

There are indeed many, many Praxis II exams deposited for our, um, benefit by the ETS bull. Make sure you know which part of the manure pile you're responsible for (I mean, which Praxis II exams you have to take), then download the appropriate Tests at a Glance document from the Praxis Web pages. The Elementary Education Content Knowledge exam, 10014, sounds a lot like the old MSAT (which was, yes, a Praxis exam).

Bear in mind that teacher tests are designed to sample your knowledge; the test makers don't expect everyone to know everything, and that's why passing scores on teacher tests range between 6% and 75% of available points.

12. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 11, 2005

When I graduated college, I took the elementary ed content knowledge test (10014). I studied by buying Brain Quest games for grades 5 and 6 because I was told that was the highest info I'd need to know. I just tested myself with random info as well as looked at the booklets I got from ETS. I almost got a perfect score...so it is possible to do well! :)

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2005

For the most part, nobody really cares whether you excel on Praxis II as long as you pass. Make sure you know which test you're taking and what it's supposed to test. Praxis has a Web page that gives requirements by state. Not sure what you need to do? Ask here: chances are someone will have an answer, or at least some good advice. Don't be shy about prowling other threads in the other Multiple Subject Tests forum - there are elements that all teacher tests have in common. If everyone in a school is taking a Praxis II at the same time, why not study together? - you could teach each other the things you need to know.

If science is a concern and there's a good hands-on science museum reasonably nearby, try incorporating it into your study. The more fun you can have while learning, the less toxic the test will seem.

So just what tests are you all taking? 10014 seems popular, but what else?

14. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Nov 12, 2005

THe only test I have to take is the 10014 test. This will allow me to teach Elem Ed anywhere in the state. Middle school is for your contest area - we are such a samll school that if I stayed in Middle school I would have to take a test in each subject I taught.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 12, 2005

Something weird is going on with the Praxis Web site, so I can't access the TAAG document for 10014, but it sounds like a fairly standard knowledge test.

Chances are the social studies questions will emphasize US history and civics (how the government works), with just enough world history mixed in to explain where the US history comes from. (It doesn't hurt to know Greece, Alexander, and Rome - and why we should care that they existed.)

The science is generally basic principles: know Newton's laws and gravitation, have a general idea of how atoms combine, know the basics of cells and plants and animals (what do plants do that we are indebted to them for?), and have a general grip on the scientific method (which, by the way, also gives a way of organizing one's writing). If your local Barnes & Noble carries a book called THE WORLD OF SCIENCE in the children's section or in the bargain section, get it and play with it using the experiments in the back.

The math is generally stuff you had by or before middle school - you're likely to need to know area, perimeter, circumference, assorted shapes, and a little very basic algebra.

If you get stuck on a question, take a deep breath and go answer something else. If you're really feeling stuck, take a bathroom break.

And between now and the test date, ask questions. Lots and lots of questions.