Praxis II Test 12 & 14 =(

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by maraki, Jul 14, 2010.

1. maraki

maraki Rookie

Jul 14, 2010

So I am taking the Praxis II test, 12 and 14 a week from Saturday and I am really freaking out. I have been studying at the study aid that Cliff's Notes has all summer, but I still feel as though I may not pass.

Any pointers from people who have taken and passed these tests? Any help will be greatly appreciated, I really want to pass on the first try, but I am SO nervous <=(

3. who me

who me Rookie

Jul 16, 2010

Calm down.
    I took 0012 awhile back but the biggest help to me was to overhear a conversation of two others taking the test the day I was. One was reminding the other of advice their professor had given. It was to go in, take a deep breathe, and then say to yourself - Bring it on!

As far as studying, I realized as my test time approached there was no way I could possibly know everything content wise. I concentrated on studying test examples to learn the differences of the best essays from those scoring less. I also made lists of activities I could use to teach small groups or whole groups, those to help auditory learners and others for visual learners. Good luck. All the studying you've done will serve you well!

4. maraki

maraki Rookie

Jul 19, 2010

Thank you so much! I've calmed down a bit since I posted that (I was really panicking that day). You know how it is- you read about the horror stories, stew over them and start to panic.

Thanks again for replying =)

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2010

The horror stories always make a big splash, maraki, but the reality is that more people pass these exams than don't.

And the advice to breathe is very good.

Which domains have you most concerned?

6. maraki

maraki Rookie

Jul 20, 2010

That's good to know. I'm really concerned with Math, which is my weakness and the Social Studies portion. When I looked at two different study aids, there were well over 30 pages of facts, dates, etc. I also am a little iffy about the 4 essay test because I know they could ask anything.

Thanks for responding =)

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 20, 2010

There are math review books by the dozen in any decent big bookstore of the sort that sells coffee. I like LearningExpress products - you could start with Practical Math Success in 20 Minutes a Day or one of the newer books that's oriented to (older) kids) - but many other publishers have fine books out. You could even look at books sold to help kids prep for your state's annual tests. Just make sure you take a copy of the Praxis content specifications to the bookstore with you so you know what you need.

If there are specific areas in math that trouble you, try asking here.

As for the social studies, look for patterns: how does fact A link up to event B? That might help you organize the material mentally. In any case, most tests for elementary teachers put the heaviest emphasis on events that, one way or another, shed light on how the US came to be as it is, especially politically.

8. maraki

maraki Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

Ladies, thank you so much for your help.. I passed both tests on the first try!!!!!!!!!!!

9. who me

who me Rookie

Aug 24, 2010

Congratulations! Now you can laugh at your nervous fears. :lol: Good luck on your future steps.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 24, 2010

Way to go, maraki!

Please also think about what you've learned - about the content, but also about the test taking process - that can help you help your future students.