Praxis II Social Studies Content

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by History Nut, Dec 12, 2008.

1. History Nut

History Nut Rookie

Dec 12, 2008

Has anyone taken this test? I'd appreciate any advice on how to study or test taking tips. On the practice test the questions are in sections. Are they like that in the real test?

:dizzy: In fact any advice at all is appreciated.

Thanks so much.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 13, 2008

If the questions on the sample test are in sections, they'll be in sections on the real thing too.

There are several Praxis II exams in social studies, if memory serves; I'm guessing that you intend one of the ones that is all multiple choice questions. You may well find that some of the issues and resources that have been bandied about for other states' teacher tests in social science will help you, too.

Which of the areas mentioned in the Tests at a Glance material has you most concerned?

4. History Nut

History Nut Rookie

Dec 14, 2008

Yes, this is the 081 Praxis which is multiple choice. It has been years since I've some of these topics. On the practice test my worst areas were "Government,Politics and Civics", "Geography" and "Economics"

Also, it was the direct quote questions that really threw me. I have a fairly good memory (or at least did) but I couldn't remember any of those.

For my state the passing grade is 161. There are 130 questions. Do you happen to know how this is weighted?

5. K-5*Newbie*

K-5*Newbie* Rookie

Jan 12, 2009

Hi, I plan to take the Praxis 0081, and this is the website that I found.
    http://www.praxissocialstudies.com/

Now, I haven't payed the money yet, so I can't say whether or not the tests are helpful. Don't buy the Cliff's book, it's useless. I know the test covers basic geography, psychology, economics. At amazon I typed in geography for dummies, etc. I found all those topics for dummies books. I think this might be more helpful. Also purchase a separate book for European History and U.S. history, as well as civics/politcal science

6. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Jan 16, 2009

I will be taking this test March 2009. I bought some US History flash cards from Barnes and Nobles for around $10, and the ETS book from Amazon.com. I found Economics for Dummies, and World History at my local library. Some time next month I will be buying the practice tests off that praxis website someone mention earlier. Look I can't afford to not pass!! Do anyone know how much of the test is higher order skills questions?

7. K-5*Newbie*

K-5*Newbie* Rookie

Jan 17, 2009

8. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Jan 19, 2009

I tried this site for the last time I took 0014, and they are horrible!! They will refund you your money if you do not pass, though.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 21, 2009

Try making up your own questions based on what you're studying. You may also find AP or SAT II materials useful (if you're taking a general social science test, AP materials in each of the domains will somewhat overprepare you).