Praxis II Social Studies (5081)

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by CKG7783, Mar 20, 2015.

1. CKG7783

CKG7783 New Member

Mar 20, 2015

Just took the Social Studies (5081) for the second time and received the same score. I need to pass this test by August, I've been offered two positions as a Social Studies teacher for Sept and I'm afraid I just won't get it because of not being able to pass the test. I used XAMONLINE study guide and I feel like nothing I studied was on the test, the sample questions were watered down compared to the actual test. I do well on test but horrible on standardized test. Can anyone offer any advice on passing the test? What study guides are the best to use? I've already signed up for another test date in April. I don't care if I have to take this test every month

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 20, 2015

What's your background in social studies?

4. CKG7783

CKG7783 New Member

Mar 23, 2015

I graduated with a BS in Social Studies in 2012. I've been working as a special ed paraprofessional for 6 yrs. I have tons of experience, I just suck at standardized test. I'm taking the test again in a few weeks and plan on taking it until I pass. I just feel like it's a shot in the wind, maybe 7-10 questions I recognized from the study guide.

5. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 23, 2015

I know the feeling although I did not have a degree in Social Studies I love the subject and feel as though I am pretty knowledgeable. I have spent the last 2 years in as a para in an inclusion setting in Govt, Civics, Econ, US History and World History and still with all of the studying I did I did not pass so I too am studying again to retake in May.

Most of the questions I had were not topics that I have seen covered in the classrooms that I have been in so it baffles me as to what we are being tested on to know when it is not what we are teaching in the calssroom.

I could pass the state mandated exams for the students with no problem, which is the material I would be teaching the students, but can't seem to pass the Praxis exam for teachers which appeared to be mostly material I would not be teaching my students. :dizzy:

6. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 23, 2015

Has anyone used the interactive practice test and if so was that helpful? It is valid for 90 days or 10 uses. Cost $17.95.

7. CKG7783

CKG7783 New Member

Mar 23, 2015

This will be my 3rd time taking it..Sigh

The first time I took it was back in Jan 2013 just to get a feel of the test, I didn't study I just registered and took the test

Two weeks ago when I took it I got the same score but this time I actually studied :(

Praying the 3rd time is the charm

I'm thinking I might just watch videos and take it from there. I feel like I've wasted so much time studying the study guide.

8. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Mar 23, 2015

I think I am going to pay for the interactive practice test to see how close those questions are to the exam I took.

I used a lot of videos from youtube......HipHughes and CrashCourse which I thought were very good.....plus notes from the classes I am in now in a High School here. (Govt, US History and World History)

9. Tiffany0808

Tiffany0808 New Member

Apr 20, 2015

Hello,

I have a question did you pass the test? If so what did you use to help you? I took the test twice 138 then 153. I need a 158 to pass here in Kansas and I do not want to take it again. I am adding to my certification. Just studying no social studies background.