Praxis II Secondary Math

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by MathGuy82, Apr 30, 2016.

1. MathGuy82

MathGuy82 Companion

Apr 30, 2016

Anyone have any ideas on taking the PRAXIS II math for secondary teachers? I currently teach high school math at a school that doesn't require a license but want to have a teaching license for my own good. I majored in science with a minor in math. I had calc 1, calc 2, calc 3, linear algebra, differential equations, number theory. I did not take statistics. How hard will this be? Any recommended study guides? Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 30, 2016

Praxis being Praxis, there's almost certainly more than one math test; be sure to take the one that your state wants. If you look up your state's requirements on the Praxis Web site, you can find the test you need and the score you need on it; there's also a free Study Companion that will outline what you need to know and how the test works.

Given your background, let me suggest choosing review materials with an eye toward finding ones that you'll be comfortable recommending as aids to your students. While prep materials that are specific to your test probably do exist, math simply doesn't differ that much from year to year or state to state. You could search A to Z for innovationguy's recommendations on math resources (he teaches, or used to teach, California's CSET math test); you could work through Khan Academy, www.khanacademy.org; you could see what other resources have been mentioned in Richard Byrne's blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com.

MathGuy82 likes this.
  4. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jun 29, 2016

For the most part, Im imagine youll be OK especially in the algebra-calculus sections of the test particularly if you took those classes recently and havent forgotten your precalculus and trigonometry skills. Other sections of the test include geometry [at a sophistication higher than that of High School OR imagine an advanced High School Geometry program!] and basic Statistics.

Id advise you to go through the Praxis Math Content Knowledge standards very closely:
    https://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/5161.pdf and consult my site for prep resources and strategies IF you believe you need to bolster your knowledge base.

Jay
    praxismathguru.weebly.com