Praxis II scores

Discussion in 'General Education' started by riverdance85, Aug 18, 2014.

1. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

Hello all,

Any one out there have had to take the Praxis II in foreign language? I took the French test to get certified to teach French. It has been over 16 days and they still have not posted the scores. According to them, the scores should post 10-16 days after the testing window closes. Has anyone had to wait longer than they should for scores? Does anyone have any insight in to how these tests are scored? I don't remember them taking so long to report my Spanish scores 4 years ago. I've grown impatient, I guess!

Thanks!

RiverDance

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2014

It's possible that the test you took was introduced or revised this year. If that's the case, scores will be delayed.

It's also possible - and perhaps likelier - that your test date was early in the test window. Suppose you tested on Tuesday, July 29. That's more than 16 days ago - but if the test window runs two weeks (which is pretty standard), and if it didn't close till August 9, then scores presumably wouldn't be issued before August 25.

4. riverdance85

riverdance85 Rookie

Aug 18, 2014

Thanks groupie! I guess I forgot to read the foot notes. Looks like another week. The testing window closed on 8/2. I appreciate it.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 18, 2014

Hugs, riverdance85. Waiting is tough, no?

6. frenchy

frenchy New Member

Aug 21, 2016

I just took the Praxis II for French for the third time and failed for the third time. I have never scored more than 10 pts away from what's required, but that doesn't mean it's not still very discouraging. If anyone would be cruel enough to suggest it, let me be clear and say that I am resolute in my decision to be a French teacher. I did not come this far to give up. Does anyone have any tips or stories about this bedeviling exam? My problem areas are consistently the listening and cultural section. I did much better on the speaking part this time, though. Any positive advice is appreciated.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2016

For the cultural content, a mix of AP French history/literature/culture and Wikipedia. For the listening, perhaps search the Web for French-language news videos. How's your grasp of grammatical terms in French?

8. frenchy

frenchy New Member

Aug 21, 2016

(First of all, thanks for responding TeacherGroupie)

I know exactly where to find authentic news vids, so thanks for that reminder. I could watch more. A search for "history/lit/culture" seems broad, but I am ready to dig in. I grasp grammar pretty easily. It's the only part I feel confident in, but I am not saying that I can't get better. I still use duolingo in my downtime to refresh my skills.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2016

Let me clarify:

AP French preparation books and websites may be helpful for overviews of culture, literature, and history. That narrows the field somewhat: start your search term with "AP French", or if you prefer spell it out as "Advanced Placement French", and then append words referring to whatever you want to focus on. (Yes, "AP french history colonialism morocco 20th century language instruction" can be a search term. Be creative and specific.) You may find that including the term "francophone" in a search of the history of a region serves to sieve out some links you don't want. In addition, search for the histories - colonial and postcolonial - of parts of the world in which you know that French is spoken. (Search for "where is french spoken?" if you're not already absolutely sure - and the query itself is part of your study.) If the first page or two of a given search doesn't yield anything interesting, change your search terms and try again.

Let me repeat that Wikipedia is your friend: a Wikipedia history of a given French-speaking area is likely to yield all the detail you need and then some, not to mention helpful maps and links elsewhere. You're not writing a term paper, so it's not like you need a source that a professor won't sneer at.

You could also search IN French.

I wasn't challenging your facility with French grammar. I was suggesting that brushing up on your grasp of the French words for parts of speech, constructions, etc. might be useful. Le petit Larousse might well have a useful appendix that lists them, and it shouldn't take very long to review.

10. frenchy

frenchy New Member

Aug 21, 2016

This is extremely helpful. Thanks so much. I didn't mean to come off as defensive. I appreciate all of this guidance

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2016

You're welcome, frenchy. I won't wish you good luck, but rather good hunting.