Praxis II scores raw/scaled?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Football fan, Jun 21, 2014.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2019

You saw 125 selected response questions; I haven't looked at this test's Study Companion, but if all those questions were standard four-choice multiple choice questions, the absolute maximum raw score would be 125. That is, 125 minus whatever number of questions Praxis was field-testing. For tests or subtests that consist only of selected response questions, Praxis often gives unofficial scaled results at the end of the test. In short, Travis, the score you're looking at isn't a raw score: it's an unofficial scaled score. It would seem that you not only passed 5440, you walloped it. While it's always premature to celebrate before the official score report arrives, because it is at least theoretically possible for official scaled scores to vary from unofficial ones, they almost never actually do vary. In your position, I wouldn't yet open the victor's bottle of sparkling cider, but I'd feel safe shopping for it.

2. Travis Hubert

Travis Hubert New Member

Feb 14, 2019

Yes. There were 5-8 questions that asked me to pick two or three responses but all the questions were selected response. Your statement about “clobbering it” may explain the one test coordinator’s reaction too! :) Thank you for the information!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 14, 2019

You're most welcome, Travis, and let me extend my unofficial congratulations. Let us know when the score report does arrive, please.

Travis Hubert likes this.
  4. Shun

Shun New Member

Feb 15, 2019

Hey,
    Need help! Just took the praxis 5017 my unofficial score was 150 and I need 153 to pass in the state of Tennessee.
    My scores are the following
    LA 19
    Math 18
    Science 9
    SS 8
    Music, Art, PE 11

But when I add this up I get 65 so would my official score be 154. Need help understanding

5. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 15, 2019

I can’t give you specifics, but the curve that is applied to the data set depends on the difficulty of the test for that test date. The curve is not fixed.

You will need to retake it, I’m afraid.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2019
  6. Shun

Shun New Member

Feb 16, 2019

Is there any chance that my score could go up 3 points because there were 4 to 5 questions which were select all that apply.,

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Feb 16, 2019

There is a chance, but the probability of it happening is basically zero. It is extremely rare for a score to be adjusted by even a single point, so the likelihood of it being adjusted by 3 points is even more improbable...

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2019

My sympathies, Shun.

65 is your total raw score: the number of responses you got right, including each of the correct answers on the "select all that apply" questions (and minus any responses that weren't counted because the question was being field-tested: don't worry about these). That number certainly won't change, barring any irregularities in the testing process.

150 is your unofficial scaled score, on Praxis' standard scale that runs from 100 to 200. Like most if not all Praxis tests, 5017 exists in multiple versions - in fact, if someone else at your testing site was taking 5017 at the same time that you were, chances are fairly low that both of you saw all the same questions. These versions can differ among themselves in difficulty, and questions within a version can also differ in difficulty, with the result that a raw score of 65 on the other guy's version could reflect a better or worse performance than yours. Scaling the scores adjusts for those variations to produce scores that can be directly compared.

For teacher tests, the scaling of a specific test version, once it's established, is the same every time the test is used - that is, your performance today won't make a difference to the scale, and so, while it is not impossible that your official scaled score could be higher or lower, the likelihood of it varying from your unofficial scaled score is vanishingly small.

It's frustrating to come up short by only a handful of points, I know. In a few days, though, I hope you'll feel able to think about this from a different perspective: that you came close enough to passing that it's worth it to try again.

Shun and futuremathsprof like this.
  9. Travis Hubert

Travis Hubert New Member

Mar 1, 2019

Hi again! I got my official score today. It was 190 out of 200!! Out of the 125 questions only 100 affected the outcome of the score based on the breakdown I got.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  10. Shawna Fillmore

Shawna Fillmore New Member

Mar 1, 2019

I'm scheduled to take the FACS Praxis 5122 on Monday. I've studied the ETS test info, taken the practice test on ETS, studied the Mometrix materials and taken that practice test and also have been reviewing on quizlet. Is there another practice test that anyone would recommend? I need a 160 or better to pass the test, does anyone know what raw score I need to get the 160 or better score?

Thanks!
    S:)

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 2, 2019

Congratulations, and thanks for your contribution to the knowledge pool here.

12. Hollie

Hollie New Member

Mar 13, 2019

I am currently a teacher, but since I moved to another state I have to retake the 5018 Praxis because I am 2 points away from the new states requirement. It's been a while since my last test. I have been practicing online and I continually get about 94-100 out of 140 questions. Will this be enough to pass my Praxis which is tomorrow!!

13. bcourt

bcourt New Member

Apr 11, 2019

I scored a 97 out of 120 on Praxis 5551 practice test. Does anyone know approximately what score that would translate to?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2019

Will I guess at a numerical score? No. The process by which a raw score like yours is transmogrified into a scaled score takes into account (among other things) Praxis's estimation of the comparative difficulty of the actual questions involved. Thus two test takers each of whom answers 80 scored questions correct but on two different versions of 5551 can indeed end up with different scaled scores. So I don't have enough information to be confident in answering the question as stated.

With that said, I am happy to speak to the question that may have been intended. 97 correct out of 120 is just a little under 5/6, or - yay, mental math - around 80% correct. On most of the teacher tests with which I'm acquainted, that's on track for passing (though, again, much depends on the relative difficulty of the questions that one faces on the day of testing).

15. C-HEN

C-HEN New Member

May 25, 2019

bcourt I'm studying for the 5551 test now! You did really well on it . Can you you share what was your studying materials or what was your best approach for preparing for this test! Thank you