Praxis II scores raw/scaled?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Football fan, Jun 21, 2014.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 11, 2016

We don't know yet, keisha: sounds like you ended up with a new version of the test for which Praxis is still working out the mapping between raw and scaled scores. I will say, though, that if you didn't pass, you'll have come pretty close.

2. kamichelle

kamichelle Guest

Mar 13, 2016

Hello, I am taking the Praxis 5022 (Early Childhood: Content Knowledge) and I've been taking practice exams. I'm trying to figure out how I am doing on the practice exams. In Oklahoma, I need a 155 to pass. I've scored a 97/120. How can I figure out my score?

3. Mar 16, 2016

Hello..I took the praxis Biology yesterday. I thought I did well but the raw score only added to 100 (out of 150 questions). Thats 2/3rd...But I am still freaking out. Did anyone else get a similar score and do you know your scaled score?

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 16, 2016

That's a pretty good raw score; I think you're on track to earn your 155. If that's a practice test produced by Praxis, there might be a table somewhere to convert the score from raw to scaled... maybe. But the conversion from a raw score to a scaled score on any teacher test depends on the specific version of the test that one has taken. With that said, bear in mind that the 155 you need is on a scale from 100 to 200: sketch out a number line that goes from 100 to 200 and locate 155 on it, and you'll see that that isn't so spectacular a score. In contrast, your 97/120 puts you above 75%, and that's before "non-scoring" questions are subtracted.

5. Apr 15, 2016

Hello! I'm a mid-career writer and editor aspiring to teach. My BA is in Sociology. I just took the PRAXIS 5038 (ELA) and my raw score was 85 out of 130. I need a scaled score of 167 in Colorado to pass. I almost cried because I thought my score seemed pretty low. After reading some of the threads here, it seems like I may have passed. ETS releases official scores at the end of the month. Any encouragement from the troops? Thanks!! It is so hard to wait.

6. atombuilder

atombuilder Rookie

Apr 15, 2016

Hello,
    please please what my raw should be to get the 167 on praxis 5038? thanks

7. Meliran

Meliran Guest

Apr 15, 2016

Hey, I just took the Mathematics: CK (5161) PRAXIS in a computer based exam. When I finished it said "My Score: 200" and had 2 raw scores - one of "Discrete Math: 33" and one of "Geometry: 15." Does this mean I got a 200 on it, or does it mean that the test was out of 200? If it's the latter, what do you think my score was?

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 15, 2016

Praxis tests are generally scored on a scale from 100 to 200. CK or Content Knowledge tests tend to be straight-ahead multiple choice, and it tends to be the case that some questions don't count either for or against the test taker because they're being road-tested for inclusion in future exams. 5161 has 60 questions total. You seem to have gotten right the 48 of them that count. Congratulations: you've aced this thing.

9. Fit@fun

Fit@fun Guest

Apr 17, 2016

Hi all,
    I just took the praxis 5038 on Saturday, my results are 29,22,27. total is 78 raw score. I am really freaking out, I don't know if it passed or not. thanks

10. ncollins03

ncollins03 Rookie

Apr 17, 2016

Has anyone taken the Praxis gifted test? Are there internet resources to help pass?

11. georgeorwell

georgeorwell New Member

Apr 19, 2016

I took the test april 6 and haven't gotten my scores back.... I got the raw scores that day, but not the scaled. Anyone know when they will be released???

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 20, 2016

Check https://www.ets.org/praxis/scores/get.

13. fitnessfeline

fitnessfeline New Member

May 15, 2016

Can anyone tell me how to calculate final score from a raw score. I got a 72 out of 130 on Praxis for Health and PE and am trying to get an idea of what that means for my final score!?!

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2016

"How to calculate", no: scaled scores exist because questions inevitably vary in difficulty, so a raw score of 72 on one version of the health-and-PE exam won't necessarily translate to quite the same scaled score as does a raw score of 72 on a different version.

"How to approximate", maybe. 72/130 is a bit over 55%, which isn't very promising. But most Praxis exams include some questions that aren't counted in the final official score (because the questions are being field-tested for use in future tests). If your test had 130 questions, and if the Study Companion indicates that some questions may not count, I'd venture that 10% to 15% might not count. 72/110 is still less than 66.7%, though.

fitnessfeline likes this.
  15. fitnessfeline

fitnessfeline New Member

May 15, 2016

This makes much more sense. Thanks....I just realized it was an raw score of 82 out of 130 so I hope that is gonna help me pass

16. fitnessfeline

fitnessfeline New Member

May 15, 2016

Thank you. I just realized it was an 82/130 that I got correct so I'm hopeful this will get me a passing score

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2016

That's rather more promising, yes.

18. JLDYCP83

JLDYCP83 Guest

Jun 7, 2016

Can anyone give me insight on whether I earned at least a 160 for the Praxis Math 5161? I just took the test on June 4 and the score said no score with a raw score of 44. Is that promising? I don't think the testing window closes until June 11, but I'm so impatient!

19. gatorlv

gatorlv New Member

Jun 7, 2016

I took the Praxis 2: Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities today and I received a NO SCORE Screen at the end. I didn't see a raw score. The only thing I saw were the numbers of questions in each category I answered correctly. Was that the raw score? If so, the numbers added up to 82..I need a passing score of 151..any thoughts? Am I close?

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2016

Yes, that 82 is your total raw score, at one point per correct answer. The Study Companion for 5838 indicates that there are 120 multiple choice questions total and that some questions may not be counted either for or against you; evidence from other posts on other tests strongly suggests that questions that don't count aren't included in the onscreen raw score. Your raw score is therefore not 82 out of 120 but 82 out of a lower number. Exactly how raw scores map onto scaled scores is a bit of a mystery, but the standard Praxis scale runs from 100 to 200: think about where 151 would be on that scale. In short, I won't guarantee that you passed, but it will be a bit of a shock if you didn't.

21. gatorlv

gatorlv New Member

Jun 8, 2016

Thanks so much!

22. jgm

jgm New Member

Jun 9, 2016

I took the Biology Praxis 2 and I got a raw score of 142. The test had 150 questions on it. I need a 155 to pass for my state. The testing people said the raw score shows 1 point per question answered correctly. Some questions may be weighed more than the other. They said I will received my actual score later this month. Does that mean I got 142 questions right out of 150? Did I pass?

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 9, 2016

jgm, I don't know exactly which Praxis biology test you took, though there's probably only one with 150 questions; you'll forgive me, I hope, if I don't have the numbers memorized and if I don't look up the specifics.

For most Praxis tests that consist of multiple choice (A, B, C, D) questions, a certain percentage of the questions don't count either for you or against you; the Study Companion for your test will mention that this is a possibility, if it's the case for your test. The percentage of questions not counted is typically at least 10%, and it would seem from people's discussions of raw scores that the raw score onscreen excludes the non-scoring questions. All of this being the case, I would expect, given a Praxis test with 150 multiple choice questions, that the maximum achievable raw score would be 135. In that case, your 142 would be a scaled score.

On the other hand, if your 142 IS a raw score, you aced this thing.

Keep us informed, please, so I know whether to extend you a high-five or a hug of sympathy.

24. jgm

jgm New Member

Jun 9, 2016

Thank you so much! I'm starting to think the 142 is the scaled score, the way you put it, but the testing people kept saying it was my raw score...I called twice haha!! I took the Biology 5235 and the study companion did say all questions may not be scored. I will keep you posted either way! Thanks for your help.

25. Darren Nichols

Darren Nichols New Member

Jul 17, 2016

Hi. I took the Praxis 5440 Middle School Science test today. My unofficial total score was 172. When I divided the number I got right out of the 125 questions on the test, I got 64% correct. I need 150 to pass. Is there any chance my official score will be below 150?

26. jgm

jgm New Member

Jul 17, 2016

You were right. The 142 was my scaled score. I took it again and passed though..so all is well! Thanks for your help!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2016

I've answered this in the thread to which you posted earlier.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2016

Congratulations, and I'm delighted to have been useful.

29. jgm

jgm New Member

Jul 17, 2016

I'm not an expert, but I made many phone calls to ETS to figure out my score. They weren't really much help, but from my experience, I would say you passed if your test was all multiple choice! I don't think your score would go down.

30. RuthInJersey

RuthInJersey New Member

Aug 1, 2016

I took the Praxis 5038 today....and instead of what I think was a raw score...a 179 came upon the screen. Would this be an unofficial scaled score? I dream it is!!! Thanks!!!

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2016

RuthInJersey, I'm not recalling 5038 off the top of my head, but if it had substantially fewer than 200 questions, I think we can be fairly confident that your 179 is a scaled score. Let me offer unofficial congratulations, and please keep us in the loop.

32. RuthInJersey

RuthInJersey New Member

Aug 1, 2016

It is the English Language Arts Content Knowledge...there are 130 questions...maybe 5 had you select 3 answers instead of one. All multiple-choice. In NJ I need a 167.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 1, 2016

130 questions plus two extra points on each of five questions still only adds up to 140, and Praxis generally counts correct selected responses at one point each, and that 140 almost certainly includes some questions that aren't being counted for or against you. I will be surprised, RuthInJersey, and more than slightly vexed, if we find you didn't pass.

34. Maryland

Maryland Rookie

Aug 4, 2016

Yes

35. journogirl

journogirl Rookie

Aug 9, 2016

Hi there,
    Please help! I took the theatre praxis last week and got a raw score of 197 (there are 120 questions). Today I took English 5038, 130 questions, and got 196.
    It did not say passed or not and I checked with the woman at the desk and she confirmed that it doesnt. It also didn't flash any "unofficial score"
    Now I know I got some wrong but I am dead certain I didn't get half wrong s it can't be two points per question. Can anyone help? I'm jumping out of my skin. I need 153 and 167 respectively. Did I pass?

I have a PhD in theater and an MA in English but of course some of the methodology stuff was new to me, as were some of the ways grammar was labelled in my book, but I did study (the theatre book was useless but the online test was not bad; however if you hadn't worked professionally in theater or taught there's quite a lot you just wouldn't know. Maybe there are other prep books out there. The Cirrus book I had for the English was good but some of the classroom stuff just is new to me).

I was averaging in the 80s percentage wise on practice tests. I just don't know what to make of these numbers.

I've been working as a journalist for the past decade or so, and before when I taught it was at the college level so I know I have work to do. Eager to do it though! (Anyone else wh took the English actually pause to enjoy reading when they gave you a poem? I know I did!)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2016
  36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 9, 2016

If the theatre Praxis has 120 questions, it's probably a content-knowledge test and strictly multiple choice. Raw scores seem to be broken down by domain, and the total would add up to either 120 or, more likely, a number rather less than 120 because some questions are probably non-scoring questions. For 5038, the story is somewhat different - but, as I explained to RuthInJersey above, the total number of raw points available really can't be more than 150. In short, let me tender you unofficial congratulations on passing both exams.

37. journogirl

journogirl Rookie

Aug 10, 2016

I hope you are right! It did say "raw score" though... One was 120 questions, second was 130. The English one did have some questions which had more than one answer but couldn't have been more than 10 tops. Theatre I think only had at most 4. I hope you're right!

Oh and yes both tests were content knowledge and multiple choice.

Will the scores when I see them give percentiles (not that it matters because I'm told schools don't look at your scores but I'm curious)?

Thanks for the unofficial congratulations!

I wish you could get the test back with the right answers.

38. journogirl

journogirl Rookie

Aug 10, 2016

I took that test today. It was HARD! I'm in NJ too.

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2016

Your score report will give you some idea whether you did better than the mass of test takers or worse, but not to the point of assigning percentages. The information at https://www.ets.org/praxis/scores/understand/ will make more sense once you receive your official score report.

40. journogirl

journogirl Rookie

Aug 10, 2016

Thanks! I was wondering if there was any way to know what the total possible was... I guess it's all the digging out of SAT scores I had to go through lol.

But that makes sense and explains a bit how schools don't care how much you passed by. That's a good thing!

Seems jerseyGirl and I took same test in same state and had same experience, a confusing "raw score" with way more points than there are questions. And since you can't take any notes with you I didn't bother to memorize individual section scores (and no way to track them anyway as they aren't labelled in the test)