Praxis II PLT K-6

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by tp1986, Jan 10, 2010.

1. tp1986

tp1986 Rookie

Jan 10, 2010

I recently took the Praxis PLT K-6 exam yesterday. I almost finished leaving the last essay blank before time was called. I have to score a 161 on the exam and was wondering, with an exam that has 24 multiple choice questions and 12 short answer questions, is there a way to calculate how many I would need to have to make that type of score? I know that the short answer questions are graded from 0-2. Has anyone passed the exam without finishing some of the essays?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 10, 2010

First, this is an inexact art: the algorithm that converts raw scores to scaled scores on standardized tests includes "fudge factors" that tweak the relative weighting so that harder questions (in ETS's view) count a bit more than easier ones. We can make some useful generalization, however.

In the Web document "How the Praxis Tests Are Scored", Praxis tells us that the raw score on PLT exams is the sum of the raw scores on the 24 multiple choice questions and the 12 constructed responses; this means 24 raw points are possible in multiple choice and 24 raw points in constructed response, so constructed response questions count for 50% of available raw points all together. It follows that each constructed response accounts for an average of 1/12 of 50%, or between 4% and 5%. That's not very much.

In short, don't worry unduly: if you did well on the rest of the test, leaving the last question blank shouldn't be a deal-breaker.

4. MissSunshine

MissSunshine New Member

Mar 13, 2010

How did you end up doing? I just took it and didn't finish either. Please tell me there is hope lol

5. Elm512

Elm512 Companion

Apr 13, 2010

I took this on March 13th and left one whole short answer blank. I thought for SURE I failed. I needed a 166 and I got a 190 something! So there IS hope!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 13, 2010

Congratulations, CaitM!

7. janedoe092476

janedoe092476 New Member

Jun 14, 2010

I just wanted to let you know that everyone I know that took the plt in march did not finish and they all passed. This includes about 10 girls. So I would not worry at all about not finishing.

8. Ne' Mari 81

Ne' Mari 81 New Member

Jun 14, 2010

Thts gd 2 knw, janedoe092476! I just recently took it and did not finish!! Wht is the required passing score in your state? And, how many questions did they leave blank?

9. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Jul 25, 2010

I just took the PLT 7-12 yesterday. After the test I felt like I had had a lobotomy.I took it at 11a, and crossed paths with folks who took the early test.From what I could tell it was common to not finish.
    I am sweating the "constructive response" because my"full speed" handwriting is horrible. I made the decision to write(print) at full speed in order to finish rather than to write more slowly and legibly and leave 2-3 untouched. I also largely ignored punctuation.
    I'll know soon enough if this was a smart strategy.
    On another note the 24 multiple choice questions were straightforward enough. I wouldn't describe them as hard-probably closer to easy than hard.
    I'm in Louisiana and don't need a very high score-161- I think.I took it at UNO.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2010

Hugs, phoebeisis. Most Praxis tests are scored as a whole: you pass or don't pass the whole thing, not the parts. As long as your handwriting is legible and your sense was clear, you should be fine - bullet points are often a very smart way to answer.

11. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Jul 25, 2010

Teachergroupie- I sorta' used numbers rather than bullet points.I say sorta' because toward the end I just used a space to indicate part two of the answer.

My "writing as fast as I can handwriting" can be hard, but not impossible, to read. We'll see how it goes.
    If the parts weigh equally-and they appear to- I'm probably ok. The multiple guess questions were easy-missed maybe 2-4 is my guess. If I get 1/2 the remaining points I'll pass.
    Not sure what a 161 means-but I'm guessing getting 66% of the points is passing. I'm guessing I got ~ 32/48. Louisiana requires a 161 which is probably less than other states.

PS A friend of my wife's goes off to wherever to grade this sort of test( to make a few extra $$) .According to her there is usually someone at the table who can decipher any sort of hieroglyphics. I don't know why they give so little time. You have just 8 minutes to read the question and write a 50-80 word answer.

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2010

"Hard but not impossible" is probably not a deal-breaker, phoebeisis.

2/3 of available points tends to be within spitting distance of passing on most teacher tests, yes.

As to the very short answers, bear in mind that 80 words - the upper boundary for such answers - really isn't very many. (My response up to the preceding period is 49 words, counting is, and, of, and an.)

I'm guessing you did fine.

13. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member

Jul 26, 2010

Teachergroupie-thanks for the encouragement.
    Yes, I'm guessing I wrote close to 1000 words in the 100 minutes I spent on the 12 questions. I probably wrote 80 words per question.
    I also gave short shrift to punctuation, grammar and spelling-heck I'm not ELA (Chem, Biology), and it-web site- said they ignore same for grading.

Thanks-fingers crossed,
    Charlie

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 26, 2010

You did well to ignore punctuation, grammar, and spelling - that's part of the point of my remark that bullet lists for short answers like these are fine. So are sentence fragments. Getting straight to the point, without introducing the answer, is vital.

Let us know how it goes, please.

15. laddie06

laddie06 New Member

Nov 15, 2010

I Just took the Praxis PLT 7-12. Worked steadily throughout and did not have time to finish the last two sections of the fourth case situation question. I realized afterward I only answered 12 multiple choice that were located after the first two case situations. Guesss the other 12 were after the last case. I did not look ahead and feel like I really blew it. Am considereing canceling the score and trying again. I need a 159. Any thoughts? Any hope? Can't help but think finishing this test is not expected.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2010

Unless you'll get some money back for canceling the score, I'd be inclined to keep the score and see how you do.

17. laddie06

laddie06 New Member

Nov 16, 2010

My concern is that it will reflect negatively on record. I currently have certification in AL where the PLT is not required and have been unable to find a full time position. Made a 187 out of200 on the required content test in Al and did well on the AL general exam. Have applied for TN ceritification and they require the PLT but scores are also automatically reported to AL. Have considered seeing what the score is to assess what I did but feel like I don't need any negatives since job hunt has not gone well. There would be no refund. Would have to pay to take it again but if score is bad and not passing I will be doing that anyway to try and clear the record. In all honesty I cannot see how this test measures one's potential effectiveness as a teacher. For the time allowed the number of essay responses is unrealistic when you consder you have to read and evaluate long case scenarios in order to answer them.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 16, 2010

I suspect you're worrying more than you need to, laddie. Even in California, where there's something of a glut of applicants for teaching positions, not passing a test on the first go seems very low on the list of reasons that employers prefer one candidate over another.

19. laddie06

laddie06 New Member

Nov 16, 2010

I noticed that there are other messages on here about not having finished the test. Appears this must not be that uncommon. I suspect I would not be as concerned if I had jumped ahead and answered the multiple choice. If I take it again it seems the best strategy would be to do all of them first and then spend the rest of the time doing what you can on the essays. Am leaning toward seeing how I did. May help in retaking if necessary.