Praxis II - Physics (0265)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TrpnBils, Jun 25, 2012.

1. TrpnBils

TrpnBils Rookie

Jun 25, 2012

Taking this in a month or so...

I've passed the biology and chemistry tests, so I know the general format and all that, and I've been teaching (among other things) physical science (which is half physics) for 5 years now so I WAS fairly confident about it.

I recently purchased the "General science" study guide from ETS and was taking a look at the physics section tonight. When I downloaded the sample questions from the ETS website, I got 18/20 of them on the first try. When I went through the book tonight, I thought I'd give those first 20 a shot. I was relatively confident about my answers and I missed EVERY SINGLE ONE!

How is it that the practice questions from the ETS website and the practice questions in the ETS book are so different in difficulty even though they're written by the same people?

The thing that's really killing me is all the equations you have to remember. I didn't even really use them in the downloaded questions but that's all the book is...

For anyone else who's used the book, is it purposely written harder than what the test is in order to "over prepare" you? When I took my chem test, all I used to study from was "Chemistry for dummies" and I scored high on it... I'm beginning to think I can't pull that off with this one!

3. cby1224

cby1224 Companion

Jun 26, 2012

I really don't have much advice for you but I am intersted in taking this test this fall (if I have passed the chem 0245 test that I took in June). I have been planning on the study materials that I wanted to use and my plan was to get the physics homework helpers, the physics for dummies, and the self teaching guide for physics.

Good luck and I will check back in to see how you have done and hopefully gain some advice from you.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jun 26, 2012

Get an MCAT physics review book. It is more rigorous than Praxis, but if you can do well on those questions, Praxis will be a cakewalk. The good ones have most of the content you need as well. I think I had the Kaplan MCAT physics.

If I recall correctly, there is a formula sheet with the exam, same as for chemistry.

5. TrpnBils

TrpnBils Rookie

Jun 26, 2012

A formula sheet or a constants sheet? There is a list of constants and a handful of conversions in the review book, but no formulas.

If there is a formula sheet on the test it would make it a heck of a lot easier.... I can't remember if there was one on the chem test or not.

6. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

When I was preparing for this test I had a bunch of material. But the only one that resembled the actual test was the Physics: Contents Knowledge (0265) Exam Secrets. You will see questions that are almost exactly the same.

There really is no formula sheet provided and of course no calculator. But if you review and do enough problems then the formulas will become second nature.

Do not forget that there will be questions on modern physics such as energy when moving from one electron level to another or calculating the time dilation at relativistic speeds.

Good Luck!

7. TrpnBils

TrpnBils Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

Okay so that's one person saying equations are given, and another saying that they're not.... pretty much sums up my experience trying to get some information on this test.

Yesterday I called ETS and spoke to someone there about the information that is provided on the test. My reasoning for questioning the claim that equations are given is that the "Praxis Series Study Guide" (The "official" study guide written by ETS) gives a list of constants, but doesn't give ANY equations. You would think that if it was given on the test it would also be given here considering the constant list, periodic table, and even a "bubble" answer sheet are given.

The person I spoke to yesterday told me that he asked his supervisor and that equations were not given. He didn't seem 100% sure about his answer so I called again today. This person spoke to another supervisor (whom I later spoke to) and they told me that, in fact, the equations are "given if they are needed on the particular question." So again, why the heck aren't they given in the study guide for the test!?

I'm not 100% sold on the idea that they're on there... it just seems like a colossal waste of time memorizing equations if they're given to you. I know how to use them, but I'd be pretty mad at myself if I failed this test because I accidentally flipped something around in the equation when I was trying to recall it....

8. msleep

msleep Rookie

Jun 27, 2012

I do not recall any equations. There may be some versions where there need to be some. But I would concentrate on learning the material. There are maybe only 10 equations that you need to know. If you are going to teach this material then frankly you should know it.

9. jw12

jw12 Rookie

Jul 9, 2012

I was a double major in Chemistry and Physics in my undergrad, and 0265 was one of the hardest exams I've ever taken. I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but that's my experience.

To answer your questions...
    The practice mini-test from the ETS website is NOTHING like the real test. The actual exam is much more difficult.

A periodic table and a list of constants are provided, but no formulas. And remember, no calculators!

As for practice questions... try AP Physics practice tests. Also, ETS offers a free full-length Physics GRE exam on their website that I used.

An MCAT book might help with reviewing basic concepts, but the question structure is totally different. I've taken the MCAT too, and the physical science portion is much easier than the physics Praxis.

If you've been teaching it, you should be pretty good on the basic concepts. Just review as much as possible. Good luck!

10. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Jul 14, 2012

Note to self. Do not try the physics exam after the biology exam.

11. thinkbio

thinkbio New Member

Jul 15, 2012

Taken the Praxis Physcis 4 times

Just to answer some of your questions: 1. there are no formulas given not even for problems that might need it. 2. I have had difficulty finding proper material to use to study for this praxis.

I have passed the bio praxis exam and have successfully completed a masters program in physics. But have been unable to pass the physics praxis. Everytime I have sat to take it the questions have been very different. Multiple questions about scientists contribution, electricity (circuits), and capacitors.

PLease let me know which material works best for you, although I do like the MCAT review as an option.