Praxis II on Saturday 03/14

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by mollydoll, Mar 9, 2009.

1. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2009

Who is taking Praxis II on the 14th? What are you doing for last minute preparation? Which exam are you taking?

My timing worked out a bit lousy--I have an interview 6 hours away the afternoon before I take it. It will be ok though, I just won't be able to review/study the night before. Will they let you bring coffee into the exam room?

I'm taking 0571, Earth and Space Science. I am actually looking forward to it since it is my last real hurdle. No more tests unless I decide to do the chemistry exam over the summer.

Good luck fellow test takers! :thumb:

3. ohiocrew

ohiocrew Rookie

Mar 9, 2009

I am taking Middle School Math 0069 and High School Math 0061. I am very ready for both and should pass both.

4. MathManTim

MathManTim Companion

Mar 9, 2009

I'm also taking High School math 0061. I feel confident in passing (having a bachelor's in math helps), but I bought a review book anyway because some of the topics I have not seen literally since high school.

I learned integration by parts in AP calculus my senior year of high school, and hardly a course in my math major passed where I didn't have to use it at some point. On the other hand, I don't think I've used the law of sines to solve a triangle since high school geometry. And don't even get me started on conic sections.

MathManTim

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 9, 2009

Coffee, unlikely. I can't now recall whether Praxis has unbent to the point of allowing water in the room. From what I've seen of you, though, you'll do fine (though you may be one big yawn by test's end).

6. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2009

<crawls under a rock and hides>

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2009

Um, did that rock move?

(gently)

Come out, and let's talk about this, please.

8. Teacher Sean

Teacher Sean New Member

Mar 14, 2009

At my test center it was just about anything goes lol. People had all types of drinks in there. Including one girl who knocked over her water bottle atleast 5 times. :spitwater:

I took the 0081 Social Studies Content knowledge test today. I really can't tell how I did. Some questions, maybe half, I absolutely knew for sure, and then maybe a quarter educated guesses and a quarter absolute guesses. All in all I feel alright about it.

How did everybody else feel about their tests?

9. ohiocrew

ohiocrew Rookie

Mar 14, 2009

I took the 0069 Middle School Math and 0061 Math Content tests. I needed to pass the 0069 and studied very hard for it. 0061 was a bonus so I didn't study. 0061 I highly doubt I passed. The 0069 was MUCH easier than I thought it would be. I finished all 3 response questions (got 8 of the 9 total parts correct) and only guessed on 7 of the 40 multiple choice questions. I need 148 to pass so I think I easily passed, but I will feel much better on April 10.

10. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2009

Well. I had my job interview yesterday (when I thanked them at the end and said I will look forward to hearing from them, the lead interviewer said "I think you will be." Seems promising). Then, traffic sucked. Weather sucked. Instead of a 2 hr drive back to my parents, it took me almost 5 in constant stop and go. Then I had dinner, took a nap, and got stuck in ice and 0 visibility fog on my way from parents back home (they were a good intermediate point for the interview), so instead of 4 hours home, it was over 6. I got home at close to 7am--no sleep before test, I had to take it after being awake the better part of 24 hours. And through all of this, I had the once every 6 months Killer Torture Cramps Designed To Make Life Miserable, so I also took the test on codeine (for medical reasons, I can't take most regular pain killers).

Also, my professors all assigned a ton of work for spring break, so I ended up not having time to review astronomy and meteorology (translation: I was a bit of a lazy slacker). Plus, the geology part had a couple weird structural questions I forgot how to do--they were not things you find in introductory classes! I should have remembered how to do them, but I am more of a hard rock petrology girl and less of a field/structure girl. It would never in a million years have occurred to me to have reviewed that stuff, especially based on the stupid $40 ETS study guide.

:yawn:

Some questions were just worded so vaguely that I felt like I was assuming things to to answer correctly. Questions seemed either actually kind of hard or ludicrously easy (ie is the core denser than the crust). They also had at least 4 questions on obscure glacial terrain vocabulary. I'm sure I did fine on those, but they seemed totally random and unnecessary. There weren't any questions about volcanoes, ocean processes or minerals. Only one on plate tectonics. I would rate the question bank as bizarre.

Basically, I am in no way assuming that I passed this thing. 60% of the test was geology, 20% each for astronomy and meteorology. I am pretty sure I rocked :rolleyes: the geology portion minus a couple questions. Hopefully I managed to remember enough about the other subjects. I am registering for the April test just to be safe.

I did look up the Virginia passing scores and feel a bit better--it doesn't seem like I needed to have done spectacularly well to pass. Passing is 156, but median score is 164. Average is 152-177. Until I hear otherwise, I am going to work off of the assumption that I couldn't possibly have managed to screw up quite badly enough to score below the median.

In retrospect, I should have tried to request a different interview day. Driving back out of DC on a Friday around 4pm is never a good idea. I know this well, but was more afraid of jinxing the interview than screwing myself over for the Praxis.

If you made it to the end of this, that concludes my extended whine/feeling sorry for myself/making excuses fest. :|

11. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2009

I didn't mean to be so self-centered! I hope the rest of you are feeling good about having passed your content exams.

April 14th seems a looong way off though, huh?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2009

Have a hug, mollydoll. Plenty of people leave the single-subject exams feeling perfectly horrible... and then find they passed.

13. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 14, 2009

Thanks. That is good to know. It seems the passing scores are fairly low too, especially compared to Praxis I. Passing for that in VA is much higher than the average scores.

ETS actually gives an automatic refund if you re-register before you find out you passed the first time, so to be safe, I'll do that. If the worst happens, I'll study my butt off on the astronomy etc.

I think I just feel a weird sort of let-down. Strange past few days. Whirlwind shopping with my mom, who bought me some great interview clothes at Ann Taylor Loft, then the interview (I feel so good about this, even though it was my first real interview!), then all that driving, then the test. And now back to a tower of work due this week and I just feel lethargic, so I am in bed with cookies and laptop.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2009

Sounds about appropriate, mollydoll; hope there's some chocolate in there somewhere. (Chocolate doesn't cure everything, but you gotta figure that anything for which the scientific name includes Theobroma 'food of the gods' is going to come close.)

15. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Mar 15, 2009

Unfortunately (fortunately?!), I discovered a chocolate shop locally that has vegan truffles, including vegan chocolate peanut butter truffles. This is a big deal because, while all the really good chocolate is naturally vegan, Reeses PB cups were my pre-vegan addiction. So, in addition to my stash of Green and Black's bars and my 80% Ghana dark bars, I've got truffles, chocolate dipped dried pears, chocolate dipped fresh strawberries and a bag of chocolate covered salted mixed nuts. :help:

I also made Kahlua almond chocolate chocolate chip cookies an hour ago, with my Godiva cocoa powder. Usually, I leave my extra baked goods on the counter for my two roommates to share. These, I brought into my room. :help:

So, yep! Got the chocolate angle well and truly covered. If I suddenly stop posting, you all know what happened. :eek:

16. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Mar 16, 2009

Well I took SS 0081 for the first time Sat. (after taking Elem. Content several times) and it really was not what I was expecting. I have been studying since Jan. I am really praying I pass this test, but just in case I am registering again for April just to be on the safe side. I am trying to gear up for the teacher fairs for April.:eek:hmy:

17. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Mar 16, 2009

Yea, I took 0081, too!! A lot of stuff I studied was not even put on the darn test. I feel the same way, but we will see April 14. I hope we all did great!! I guess your test adminstrators did not follow ETS instructions of no gum, drinks, eating or drinking.:spitwater: I had someone next to me with a alarm clock!! :mad:

18. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2009

Whew! I passed. My April 25th registration ticket disappeared from the online site this morning.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2009

Woo-hoo, mollydoll! Though I'm not at all surprised.

20. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Apr 10, 2009

This is what my mother said too. I don't think anyone is understanding the overwhelming relief! I was seriously stressed and worried about this. To put that into perspective, I am not someone who really worries or stresses about tests or things like this, so it was a big deal to me.

All the confidence in me is nice though. :D

My score report should be interesting. Now I am dying to know how I did on those pesky astronomy/meteorology questions.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2009

On the contrary: I DO understand the relief, and I have every sympathy with it - the fact that tests like these are as widely feared and reviled as they are saddens me deeply. But in your case it's been fairly evident that you had the tools to do well. And your news delights me.

22. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2009

I suspect the reason a lot of people fear these tests is because many have been out of school long enough to out of practice with standardized tests. And also, some may be taking tests out of their subject area.

In my case, all the fear/anxiety came AFTER I took the test on no sleep. It didn't help me that I finish tests very quickly. I was the first one finished by over 30 minutes in the room, from what I could tell. Since we had to stay for the full 2 hours, I had well over an hour to just sit and stare at the clock. I have a strict "no change" policy; If I go review my answers, I will only allow myself to change an answer if I see a glaring error or I have remember something new that I feel gives me sufficient grounds for a change. If I just picked the best out of 2 choices, I always leave it with first instinct. So, an hour to second guess myself just deflated all my confidence.

Happy dance for being done with all teaching exams. Next summer, I will worry about chemistry and math.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2009

You had to stay after finishing? Ick.

24. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Apr 11, 2009

Yep. Sit and stare at the wall. I had been awake over 24hrs by that point, so it was exceptionally torturous.

They let people leave to go to the bathroom or to get water, so I'm not sure what the reasoning for the rule was. If someone left for the bathroom and never returned, what would they do?

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2009

Invalidate the scores, probably.

26. sincere09

sincere09 Rookie

Apr 11, 2009

Has anyone heard of this: Someone calling to check their scores over the phone and it said they passed and when they got their scores through mail, they failed? I know a couple of years ago, this has happened to someone. I would wait instead of paying the extra money (only a couple of days to wait after the scores over the phone). I truly believe ETS is a scam!

27. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Apr 11, 2009

Hey I am waiting on my scores also, where do I look? Is it under my test registration and orders? PLEASE, I am getting butterflies because I don't see my registration either!! Can it be?!! :woot::eek:

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 11, 2009

Sincere, I know of it happening the other way around: a test taker was informed by phone that she hadn't passed and then it turned out that she had passed because her two scores together added up to a passing total.

29. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2009

I got a 181--better than I expected. Passing is 156. The surprising thing (to me) is that my score breakdown shows that I more or less missed questions equally in all sections. But I did above average on all sections, so at least I don't need to cringe at having to submit the actual score on job applications.

I'm sure glad this is all finished!

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2009

That's not that uncommon a result, mollydoll. Congratulations!

31. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Apr 14, 2009

Yeepee, finally. I have passed a Praxis 2 test!!! :lol:
    After taking 0014 a few times I decided to go with what my degree was in and passed!! I am so relieved to get over this hurdle. :cool: I am off to apply for my 3-year provisional license. :thumb:

32. sincere09

sincere09 Rookie

Apr 19, 2009

Congratulations everyone!
    What material did you use lowes48?

33. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

Apr 20, 2009

I bought the ETS book, Cliff Notes study guide, and some U.S. History flashcards from Barnes and Nobles. I also used my praxis 2 0014 social studies notes, and some spark charts.