Praxis II - MS Social Studies books to review?

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by DNK, Jul 16, 2011.

1. DNK

DNK New Member

Jul 16, 2011

I'm taking the Praxis II Middle School Social Studies test in a couple of months, studying now. Does anyone know what's better to use as a study guide -- AP US History for Dummies or US History for Dummies? (Also planning on picking up World History for Dummies.) It's been quite a while since my college history classes. (I'm getting my alternative path certification after a career in business communications.)

I have the book/guide from ETS, too.

Any advice on what to read/study is greatly appreciated.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2011

If the test includes a constructed-response (written) component, then - if I HAD to choose between the two - the AP book might be a slightly better choice.

I'd hesitate to recommend it as the sole resource in addition to the ETS materials, however.

4. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 16, 2011

I think it also depends on how comfortable you are with the material, in general. I took the secondary social studies test and only used the ETS study guide for it and passed (and passed for the state of Maryland). I found the test difficult with regards to the geography section because I hadn't taken a geography class in a long time. Good luck!