Praxis II Middle School Science 0439/5440

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by OldSoul, May 16, 2015.

1. OldSoul

OldSoul Rookie

May 16, 2015

Hello all,

I am planning on taking the Middle School Science 5440 (previously 0439) Praxis II.

I don't see an official study guide for either version of this test on the Praxis website. My plan then was to study from textbooks in Earth, Physical, and Life Sciences and then take practice tests through ExamEdge.

Has anyone taken and passed this exam that can offer study advice or recommend specific textbooks/materials that are crucial for the preparation process? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-Old Soul

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2015

I haven't taken or passed either exam, so you're free to discount this...

Textbooks work; be aware, however, that teacher tests routinely (and appropriately) test content that goes beyond what you'll be teaching, and in ways that go beyond what you'll be teaching. For practice, and especially if this test includes constructed-response questions, you might consider AP practice tests.

Let me also recommend liberal use of the Internet. You'll find coverage of many topics you need on Khan Academy; if there are pedagogy questions (and even if there are not) a look through online lesson plans may be enlightening; science teacher associations may have useful materials; and don't forget Wikipedia when you hit a term you've never seen before and need some insight fast.

4. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 16, 2015

I have a question for the OP - do you have a science background, or are you adding this as an endorsement to your certificates in other subjects? That would certainly impact how I would study for the test, so just curious.

5. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

May 20, 2015

I took the 39 as an add-on to my original. That said I am fairly good in science. I actually read a 7 and 8 grade book, then a physical science, and finished with a bio. There was or is a older (2004?) guide someone was selling. I saw it in a PDF format when I was meandering the web. That was the best one I found. It was by a Burdette Burnette ??? I think.

6. OldSoul

OldSoul Rookie

May 21, 2015

lynettstoy,

I am taking this as a second endorsement, so I feel a bit overwhelmed in regards to trying to compile effective study materials.

7. OldSoul

OldSoul Rookie

May 21, 2015

chasisaac,

Thank you for the tips. I will try to find this Burnette book.

8. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 21, 2015

If you don't have a science background, it is harder, but not impossible. There used to be a practice test for 0439 from ETS, but I don't know if it has been blended into the MS Content practice tests you can get from ETS as an E-book. If you lack science as a background or interest, I would follow the study guide. I used a lot of Facts on File books to fine tune the things that I didn't understand perfectly, since it was an easy way to access the material in a concise manner. I'm a science enthusiast, so I really wanted the fine points, and I wanted to nail the test and score very high. I purchased these books online for peanuts, and they were valuable to my comprehension. The side benefit is that I use the same books in my classrooms today, so a win/win. Good luck.

9. shagan1983

shagan1983 Rookie

May 26, 2015

If you don't pass the first time is the exam the same 5440 the next time you take it?

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

May 27, 2015

Question for question, no. Similar knowledge, yes.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2015

Specific emphases may well vary a bit from one version of a test to the next.

How do you learn best, shagan?

12. shagan1983

shagan1983 Rookie

May 27, 2015

I am a visual learner and by repetition. Any suggestions

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 27, 2015

Short videos on the Internet. Try Khan Academy - www.khanacademy.org, I think (I can never remember whether it's dot-org or dot-something-else) - or look up videos on YouTube, or scour the blog Free Technology for Teachers (www.freetech4teachers.com) to see what Richard Byrne's recommending in science.

14. angelakj

angelakj Rookie

Jul 22, 2015

I have a study book for Science 0439. How is that exam different from 5440? I will be taking 5440 in Nov. but could not find any study materials for that test. I know test are different but has anyone heard if there is very much periodic table, atomic structure, thermodynamic equations, or scientist/discovery questions? Those are the ones I am most worried about and need to focus more time on. There is so much information to study for this exam - really overwhelming!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 22, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, angelakj. Use your study book for 0439 as a starting point - but the Test Companion for 5440 should be available on the Praxis Web site and should both list the topics that 5440 covers and sketch out the question types.

I'll guess that 0439 and 5440 are likely to differ less in science content than in (a) question types (that is, 5440 will have type-in and drag-and-drop answers as well as standard multiple choice questions) and (b) greater emphasis on science literacy along the lines of Common Core.

16. Hwes0603

Hwes0603 New Member

Mar 24, 2017

Hey Guys! Just took the Praxis II middle school science. I used the study companion and googled answers for their content and, while they probably give you too much information... it was very useful for me! I got 80 questions correct for a score of 179. Hope this helps!

17. May 3, 2017

Hwes0603, did you already have a science background? I am extremely nervous about retaking this test. I totally bombed it the first time. Were you just googling answers to the questions given with the study companion? Did you use anything else?