Praxis II Middle School English Language Arts

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by kidatheart, Jul 7, 2009.

1. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 7, 2009

Hi
    I'm preparing to take this test as soon as I get a chance to study up on it. Anyone used any of the test prep materials for it?

The Praxis II tests are all handwritten, aren't they? Has anyone gotten permission to take them on a pc? I have carpal tunnel and writing kills me (pain). In the past I've taken other types of tests with a proctor with permission to use a pc with a doctor's note... Do you think I could arrange something like that with ETS?
    :confused:

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Jul 7, 2009

I took the regular, not middle school, English one this year. I just bought the book right from ETS and it was helpful enough. There was a lot of literature on that one, too. I am pretty solid in American Lit, but my Brit Lit is rusty, so I grabbed a senior text book and just browsed some titles and authors, tried to remember main characters and basic plot. I am not sure if there will be as much lit on the middle school one, though.

There was also a lot of grammar, and that would probably a bigger focus on the middle school test. They trip you up with a lot of obscure lit and grammar terms (synecdoche, metonymy) so just use process of elimination.

The whole test should be MC (the one I took was), so that shouldn't be too bad on your carpal tunnel.

4. math happy

math happy Rookie

Jul 7, 2009

The test was 90 multiple choice and two constructed answer questions. There was a lot of questions about specific literature appropriate for middle school students.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2009

kidatheart, try looking through the Praxis registration materials for "special accommodation" and the paperwork required to document your need for it. I don't think Praxis II exams as a class are available in computer-based versions, but it might be worth applying for permission to use a pen instead of a pencil.

6. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 9, 2009

Thanks for the idea! I'll do that!
    Now if they would just post the 2009-2010 test dates I'd be good to go!

7. Cteacher

Cteacher New Member

Jul 10, 2009

did you already take the test?? How did it go?

8. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

I haven't taken it yet. I'm waiting for the 09-10 test dates to be posted. The last date on the NJ website was for 7/25/09.
    I believe Mathhappy took it.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2009

10. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 10, 2009

Thanks!! I guess they take August off?!?

11. srjjames

srjjames Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Hi guys, I'm having so much trouble passing this test. I'm not sure what more I can do. I have purchased an abundance of materials and still have not passed. The literature section is what keeps killing me. I'm not sure what to do to pass this test. Any suggestions?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2009

Literature as in history of literature, or literature as in analyzing literature?

13. srjjames

srjjames Rookie

Jul 13, 2009

The problem that I'm having is Reading & Literature Study. They give you little exerpts from Reading passages and you have to know the Title of the story and the author. i'm not sure how I'm suppose to know this. This is what ETS has for this section:

I. Reading and Literature Study
    Reading and Literature Study

Knowing the major works and authors of literature appropriate for adolescents
    Paraphrasing, comparing, and interpreting (literally and inferentially) various types of print and nonprint texts, e.g., fiction, nonfiction, poetry, drama, and graphic representations
    Identifying and interpreting figurative language and other literary elements, e.g., voice, point of view, style, tone, diction, allusions, irony, clichès, simile, metaphor, analogy, character, setting, theme, plot
    Identifying the characteristics of literary forms and text structures, e.g., poetry, fiction, nonfiction, drama
    Locating and interpreting literature within historical and cultural contexts
    Recognizing various critical approaches to interpreting text, e.g., shared inquiry and reader-response theory
    Recognizing and applying various strategic approaches to teaching reading, e.g., cueing systems, activating prior knowledge, constructing meaning through context, and employing metacognitive strategies

14. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

Is it the whole section that you are having trouble with or just the part where you identify title, author?

15. srjjames

srjjames Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

Really it just the part where you have to identify the title and the author.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

Hm. Seems to me that one or more of the big anthology-makers - Norton, Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, among others - has an anthology of children's literature. You might want to find a copy in your local library and see what it gives you by way of representative passages. Pay attention to the content and style. I haven't looked at the Tests at a Glance documents for that test for some time, so I don't recall whether there's a list of key works for adolescents.

You could also check to see whether the NCTE Web site has a list of key works for adolescents, and then briefly glance through a selection of those.

The chances are that either the passages and works have been around for a while (To Kill a Mockingbird, The Outsiders) or that the authors named tend to be associated with particular genres (Gary Paulsen's books tend to be about boys/young men marooned in the wilderness, for example) and a good anthology will note this.

17. srjjames

srjjames Rookie

Jul 14, 2009

OK, I'll check that. Thanks for your help.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 14, 2009

Giving away all my trade secrets, I am...

19. math happy

math happy Rookie

Jul 17, 2009

Yippee! I passed with a 193. I am very relieved! No more PRAXIS tests for me!
    The XAM study guide that I used had a lot of titles of literature for the different middle school ages. This might help with preparation for that section, as you can just look up some of the titles/authors listed to get a feel for what type of books they are (genre, style, etc.)

20. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Jul 17, 2009

Cool. I was just looking on ebay to get a used copy of that study guide. Hope I find it and it helps me.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 17, 2009

The Web site of the California Department of Education has a list of recommended literature for grades K-12. It wouldn't surprise me to find that other states have similar lists.

22. liisainc

liisainc Rookie

Jul 18, 2009

I bought the Sparks Notes for Poetry book and the Spark Notes 101 (150 novels and Plays) book from Barnes and Noble. I also bought Cliff's notes for the 0049 and 0041. The REA version for these tests was useless except for their grammar section. I studied these everyday for about an hour for four months. I have taken both the 0049 and the 0041 this Spring and passed with 197 and 194 respectively. They are not alike. The two essays and 90 questions for the 0049 were easy for me, but I felt like the top of my head was going to explode by the time I finished the 0041. It was intense. They chose passages and authors I had never heard of before so I really had to rely on my metacognitive abilities to make sense of them to answer the questions.

I have arthritis in my thumbs and I found that by using a large Ticonderoga Laddie pencil meant for first graders, I was able to keep bubbling and writing without much discomfort. I wish I had more sharpened pencils with me for the essays as a dull pencil on that pulpy paper was a hard go for me.

ETS will make accomodations but I believe that medical documentation is necessary for them to grant it, much like is needed for a 504.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 18, 2009

SparkNotes and SparkCharts are fine resources, yes.

24. msgirl

msgirl New Member

Aug 2, 2009

Congratulations! I still have to take the Middle School Language Arts test. As a recent test taker, can you offer any suggestions? Anything specific you remember? What type of Open Response questions were you asked? What books do you remember the test referring to? Anything would help. I'm very nervous about this.

25. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Aug 2, 2009

I took the LA test last year and I thought it was pretty difficult, but I ended up doing really well.

One thing that I was absolutely not prepared for was when they gave you a quote from a book and then asked you which author wrote it!

[edited] There is a ton of grammar, which was pretty simple.

Then there was 2 essays, one being where you graded a student and made suggestions to them.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2009
  26. kidatheart

kidatheart Habitué

Aug 11, 2009

Miss Jill - the essay where you have to grade a student will be the hardest for me. I am always guilty of grading too easy or too hard. That scares me!

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 11, 2009

Remember, please: we don't post specific actual test questions on A to Z. See the WARNING at the top of every page on the Examinations for Teachers subforums - and take it seriously: the test companies can and do keep an eye on postings here, and they can and do take action.

28. soos

soos Rookie

Aug 18, 2013

Hi
    I have just got my results and i did not pass by four 5 points in my middle school English Praxis 2 0049. any suggestions to pass it next time as I really do not know what to do . It was full of literature , and I am weak on that part . I will enter the exam again next month and I need someone who passed it to tell me what resources may help me to pass 100%
    thanks

29. soos

soos Rookie

Aug 19, 2013

Dear forum ,

I was coming across the link on Praxis ETS and found there is a Middle School English coded 5047 . Is this applicable for VA ? Is it easier than 0049? and if we are allowed to take it are there study guides or books we can depend on? I need to know fast please as I will have to retake the Middle School English as I did not pass it by 5 points and I need to pass it to be licensed.

Thanks

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2013

Hugs, soos.

You can find out which Praxis tests are in force for a given state by going to the Praxis home page at www.ets.org/praxis and using the link for State Testing Requirements to choose the state. At the moment it seems that Virginia is accepting, for middle school language arts, either 0049/5049 - 0049 is paper-based and 5049 computer-based, but otherwise they should be identical - OR 5047, which is strictly computer-based.

With all teacher tests, "easy" is in the eye of the beholder.

According to Praxis's own materials, 5047 features 110 multiple choice questions and two constructed responses; just under half the test focuses on reading and reading-related issues (50 multiple choice questions, one constructed response that's probably a literary analysis), 25% of the test is devoted to English/language arts pedagogy (18 multiple choice, one constructed response), and the rest is split unevenly between writing/speaking/listening and language use/vocabulary. The test session is 160 minutes, or 2 hours and 40 minutes.

0049/5049 has 90 multiple choice questions and two constructed responses; half of the multiple choice questions are on reading and literature study, just under 1/3 of them are on composition and rhetoric, and just over 1/6 are on language study, and of the constructed responses (which count for 25% of points), one is on textual analysis and the other on teaching reading and writing. Testing time is two hours.

5047 requires more time and has more questions, but if it better reflects your preparation so far, you might actually find it easier.

Your score report from 5049 should give some guidance as to what you did well and less well. Look for a chart or graph that shows, by domain, how you did.

31. soos

soos Rookie

Aug 20, 2013

Thanks ,
    I will have to take the 0049 again as the 0047 is not applicable, I asked.

Well I just received my score report and my weak point is short essays I think where I have to analyze a students essay mention the strengths and weakness and assignments, also the other question which is about analyzing a poetry. I'm also weak in the literary analysis .
    Is there any way I can improve in those two portions? As I will enter the September 21st exam.

my scores were:
    reading and literature: 32/45
    language study: 11/15
    composition and rhetoric 20/29
    short essAY :5/12
    so what may help me to pass next time 100% as I really need to pass to enter my career switcher program
    thanks

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 20, 2013

The analysis of poetry is pretty much like the analysis of literary prose, except that one needs some additional terminology for the formal aspects of the poem (rhyme, meter, stanzas, and so on).

Let me direct you to the thread "Elmer's English resources", which you'll find on this Single Subject Tests subforum, but fairly near the top; attached to it are several glossaries that you might find useful.

Then let's start you with a bit of poem that's smallish and possibly familiar, from Edward FitzGerald's more than slightly free translation of the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam:

For some we loved, the loveliest and best
    That from His rolling vintage Time has pressed,
    Have drunk their glass a round or two before,
    And one by one crept silently to rest.

What is the form of the poem? What is its theme? What imagery can you identify?

33. Aliyahsmommy

Aliyahsmommy New Member

Sep 11, 2014

question

What books do you recommend for Middle School English 5047? I am currently studying and i know the authors ans their major works, but was wondering if there was something else that could help me out.