Praxis II Math 0061

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by TeachMathNJ, Nov 2, 2009.

1. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Nov 2, 2009

Hello,

Okay, so I finally have my 30 credits in math and am taking the Praxis II 0061 on 11/14. I am so nervous and I have the REA test book and have been studying and taking the practice exams.

I take the practice test and study my weak areas then go back and take it and seem to do worse then the 1st time. I feel like I am so not ready for this test and am starting to freak out. Any advice out there from anyone who has taken this exam?

And this isn't my first Praxis-I've taken many (I am a certified elementary teacher trying to teach high school math).

Thanks all :)

3. Groovy

Groovy Companion

Nov 28, 2009

So how did it go?

4. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Dec 9, 2009

I did horrible on it :(

I feel so depressed right now. I feel at a loss. I have worked so hard and all I need is this test to hopefully get a job (which I don't have a lot of hope for at this point). I just feel very down and terrible.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 9, 2009

Here's a hug, TeachMathNJ.

Did the test totally eat your lunch, or did you come close?

6. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Dec 9, 2009

Thanks TeacherGroupie for the hug!

Not even close...I am just so down right now. I know I already said that but it's really gotten me. I feel like I don't know what to do now. Obviously study and try to take it again but I have two emotions going at the same time. First, what if I don't pass it again. Second, if I do pass it, will it matter or will I still not get any responses to my resume?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 9, 2009

That's a hard place to be, TeachMathNJ.

Let me ask: Praxis aside, how do you feel about your knowledge of the relevant topics in math?

8. TeachMathNJ

TeachMathNJ Companion

Dec 9, 2009

I feel great about my math; I just took a test in college 5 days after the Praxis and scored a 90% on a linear algebra exam. So I don't know if I over stressed about it, not that I am trying to make excuses because the bottom line is I did not pass and that is what matters. (I am my own toughest critic!)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 9, 2009

Aha: so the issue is more probably process than content - that is, it's not that you don't know your stuff, it's that you're not showing it off to best effect. I rather thought that might be the case.

Without giving away an actual specific test question, can you walk me through your process for answering?

10. schoolteacher

schoolteacher Habitué

Dec 11, 2009

I used this site and found it invaluable: http://www.praxismathexam.com/

The practice exams there are rigorous and will prepare you well for this exam. The REA book's practice exams didn't come close to the test, in my opinion. The exams on this site will really stretch your mathematical thinking, and will help you become familiar with the kinds of questions that are asked on the test.

Good luck.