Praxis II Help!!!!

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by jkirkla, Apr 27, 2006.

1. jkirkla

jkirkla New Member

Apr 27, 2006

I'm applying for the non-traditional licensure program in Arkansas, and I have to take the Praxis II: Education for Young Children test on Saturday. The thing is I have a degree in English but I want to teach young children, and I'm afraid I don't have the background to succeed on the test. I've been studying the ETS book for awhile and the practice test questions seem to have obvious answers for the most part, but I wonder if I'm setting myself up for disappointment when I take the test. Could somebody give me an idea of what the real test will be like? Anything I can do in the next couple of days to help myself? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 27, 2006

For Praxis II exams as a class, I think the difficulty level is somewhat above what the Tests at a Glance documents suggest and somewhat below what the standard prep books suggest. (Your local Barnes & Noble should carry several different prep books for Praxis or Praxis II; there should be a sample exam for your test in at least one of them.) If you're finding most answers seem obvious, you're probably going to do fine - half the game here is having good skills in reading comprehension and in reasoning, and the rest is slinging around a certain amount of technical terminology.

Have you used the ETS document as a source of terms to look up on the Internet?

4. jkirkla

jkirkla New Member

Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, I've looked up a lot of the information especially on the psychology and development parts, and most of the stuff in the ETS guide I bought was pretty obvious. Of course, I'm just hoping that the real exam isn't at a difficulty much higher than the practice test in the ETS book. It was the only practice test I could find on that particular subject test. Thanks for your help.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 27, 2006

If you're average to better than average as a test taker, you will quite likely do fine. Teacher tests are NOT competitive - nobody cares whether you excel or just squeak by as long as you pass.

Look at it this way: In a test like SAT or GRE or - horrors! - LSAT, the test taker is a prize heifer being exhibited for connoisseurs of bovine form: being the best matters. In a teacher test, the test taker is a side of beef passing under the occasional gaze of the USDA inspector: it's necessary merely to be not rotten.

(Someone's going to get irritated at me, but I couldn't resist the comparison. Bonus points, by the way, to those who can identify the figures of speech in the preceding paragraph. This constitutes part of test preparation!)

6. stephanie90102

stephanie90102 Rookie

Apr 27, 2006

I'm taking 0011 and 0012 on Saturday, I'm nervous too! Best of luck to you!

7. ccmaizy

ccmaizy New Member

Jun 1, 2007

Praxis II Education of Young Children Help

Hi Jkirkla, I was just looking for Praxis II Education of Young Children info and came across your blog. Do you remember if you had enough time for the written part of the exam? I have to take the test in June and I am very nervous. I have bought 2 study books but I am wondering if the written questions ask things like: How are Piaget and Bandura alike in their educational philosophies? Thanks for any help you can give me.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

Try looking up your test by number, using just the last four digits (the 1 or 2 or 3 at the beginning indicates which session the test is tested in).

9. who me

who me Rookie

Jun 1, 2007

I took both these tests. For the essay potion, you need to have an understanding of content in the four areas you are being tested on: reading/language arts; mathematics; science or social studies: & Interdisciplinary Instruction. Each of the four are weighted equally. I found I had plenty of time. Read sample questions and responses to see how the scoring works. BE SURE TO ANSWER ALL PARTS OF THE QUESTION. I found it helpful to think up activities or project I might used in each of the subject areas and jot those thought down on flash cards. Then when I was asked to suggest actiivities those came to mind and I wasn't at a loss for ideas. The written questions do not focus on philosophers but rather subject content. Good luck.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2007

Yup, yup, yup.

11. ccmaizy

ccmaizy New Member

Jun 1, 2007

Hi Jkirkla,
    Thanks a lot for your help!

12. ccmaizy

ccmaizy New Member

Jun 2, 2007

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions! I appreciate it.