Praxis II: English Language Arts: Content KnowledgeE 5038

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by a7410333, Jan 27, 2015.

1. a7410333

a7410333 Rookie

Jan 27, 2015

Praxis II: English Language Arts: Content Knowledge 5038

Hi all - I'm going to take the English Language Arts: Content Knowledge (5038) so that I have the opportunity to teach middle and high school english on top of my elementary education license.

My test is Feb 9th, and I had a question for anyone who has taken it.

Will I be able to see my unofficial score report at the end of the test? I've noticed for the secondary social studies tests that they show the scores, but I'm not sure about english.

There's no written response sections to this test, if that helps.

Thanks!

WandaG1017 likes this.
  3. a7410333

a7410333 Rookie

Feb 9, 2015

Just wanted to update on my own thread...(I seem to have to answer my own questions about tests on this site ;) )

I recently took The Praxis II: English Language Arts: Content Knowledge 5038. It does allow you to view unofficial scores at the end of the test. There are no constructed responses...

I stupidly didn't study for this test, except for a few hours last night, and was happy to see a passing score of 170 at the end. Hope this helps lurkers.

Bluest Eye likes this.
  4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2015

Congratulations on passing!

5. mrschoudhury

mrschoudhury New Member

Feb 16, 2015

Hi, congrats! I am getting ready to take the test 5038. do the test takers have to study all the novels and all the literary works of the authors in depth? can u pls guide me a little bit? Thanks.

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Feb 16, 2015

Congratulations! I wasn't able to answer your initial question because I took my exam on paper. Studying for a test that expansive is difficult, so I'm glad you simply went in and thought clearly.

7. w3k

w3k New Member

Feb 16, 2015

Congrats on passing! I am going to take the exam on Sat, and am looking forward to getting it out of the way. Did you find any questions on it that stood out or surprised you? Any reflections on your testing experience would be great to see.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2015

Welcome to A to Z, w3k.

A word to the wise: we don't discuss actual specific test questions here on A to Z. See the WARNING near the top of this page? It mentions only NES (which is now part of Pearson), but the fact is that both Pearson and Praxis can and do monitor forums like this looking for infringements on the non-disclosure statement to which test takers agree when they register and then when they take the test.

9. w3k

w3k New Member

Feb 18, 2015

oops, good to know! thanks much for the quick catch :)

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 19, 2015

You're welcome. We do certainly discuss content.

11. a7410333

a7410333 Rookie

Feb 21, 2015

As teachergroupie said, it's not a good idea to talk about the questions themselves. I will say that to pass the English test it's really helpful to be a quicker reader, and to make sure your paragraph comprehension is up to par.

That, combined with some intense cramming, helped me a lot.

12. a7410333

a7410333 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015

I didn't study the novels and literary works at all but I don't advise you to do this.

My barely above passing score probably reflects my lack of prep and it was only by doing very well on the other areas that I was able to pass.

I look forward to seeing my official score report so I can look at the actual breakdown.

13. w3k

w3k New Member

Feb 22, 2015

I took the test yesterday and am wondering how long it will take to see the full score.

I found the study information on this site extremely helpful, especially the Elmer's guide found here (in another thread that I cannot post the link too b/c I am a new user :/ ) and am really happy that I found this site before taking the test. I was really worried about the exam before hand, but while actually taking it felt much more prepared than I realized I was. Good luck to everyone!

14. a7410333

a7410333 Rookie

Feb 22, 2015

You didn't get an unofficial score after your test?

15. w3k

w3k New Member

Feb 22, 2015

I received an unofficial score, but I have a hard time fully trusting anything not official, especially when I am not sure how or if things might change it. I guess I just don't trust unofficial stuff hahaha

16. a7410333

a7410333 Rookie

Mar 8, 2015

I must have read my unoffical score wrong, I got a 175. Very happy to have passed. I am now wondering if it will be difficult to secure a high school English job without having English as my undergrad.

I will also be picking up a high school History/SS certification and my major was Political Science...so that might be helpful?

Any insight would be appreciated :)

17. ay_yoteach

ay_yoteach New Member

Mar 13, 2015

New here and insanely nervous about taking the 5830 in a month. Transitioning from teaching college to high school. I'm very familiar with reading/language/grammar, but the questions re: educational jargon/theories make me so nervous. Any recommendation on where to start picking these things up for a person who didn't go through the "education" program in undergrad??

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 13, 2015

Sure: Wikipedia.

19. allforone06

allforone06 New Member

May 1, 2015

4th Time

Hello. I'm a Gifted teacher and I'm taking this test for the fourth time. I keep getting about half the Reading portion correct and about two thirds of the WSL. I'm fine with the LUV portion. Do you have any advice or resources?

Thank you

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2015

Hugs, allforone. Are you yourself gifted?

21. allforone06

allforone06 New Member

May 1, 2015

Fourth Time

Yes. However, I have severe test anxiety. So often the knowledge that I acquired over the years goes away when I press the start button.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 1, 2015

Ah. Try imagining as vividly as possible that you're there not to take the test yourself but to get a favorite student or colleague through it. Think about how you'd teach each question.

23. allforone06

allforone06 New Member

May 1, 2015

I see. I will try. Do you have any advice or resources for the reading portion?

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2015

Remember that the right answer is sometimes the best answer and sometimes the least worst answer.

I don't suggest this often, but you might consider self-hypnosis to help you get a grip on the test anxiety.

Do you tend to choose an answer and then change it "because it can't be that simple"?

25. Fiona1

Fiona1 New Member

May 21, 2015

5038 assist

Hi I am preparing for my Praxis test 5038. I have been looking for materials to prep, however limited rescores are found. Can anyone recommend some reviewing materials for me? Thanks very much:)

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2015

You could start with the glossaries in the thread "Elmer's English resources", at the top of this forum, and look them up in your favorite Web browser or on Wikipedia.

What's your background in English/language arts?

Last edited: May 21, 2015
  27. PracticePlace

PracticePlace New Member

May 21, 2015

Practice to actual score comparison?

I am also taking Praxis English Content 5038 soon. I paid for the ETS interactive practice test and was disappointed to find that they did not provide a scaled score. I purchased it to use as a "pretest" to set a baseline to focus my studying and to hopefully use as a measure of improvement. I always feel more satisfied with my preparation when I am able to see where I start and finish. Could someone who has taken both the actual test and used the interactive practice offer their opinion on how well the practice represents the actual test and how their scores on practice and actual compared? Thanks!

(PS- There is this nice little disclaimer at the start that the practice test should not be used as an indicator of how well you will do on the actual exam, but frankly I don't understand why someone would purchase a practice unless they wanted an indicator of how they would perform on the actual exam!)

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 21, 2015

The disclaimer is there to insulate Praxis from lawsuits. It's also the case that there's just the one practice test - some practice tests have been online essentially unchanged since a test was first introduced - but the actual test exists in several versions, and each version tends to cover somewhat different ground.

A scaled score takes into account not only how many questions you answer correctly and how many questions on the test are "pretest" questions (that is, they don't count because they're being field-tested for inclusion in future tests), but also the relative difficulty of questions: a correct answer on a more challenging question bumps one's score up a bit more than does a correct answer on a less challenging question.

29. 2good

2good Rookie

May 21, 2015

How many more points do you need? I now need ten points. I am taking the other test, which is one number higher annd has constructed essays. It is the same test, I have been told except my state requires a CR.

It is hard to study for, there are questions on this test I do not have in the Cliffnotes Studyguide or ETS interactive guide or seen in the resources provided on this website.

One website which has been very helpful to me is the Owl of Purdue.

My professor has told me some of the questions should begin to look familar, I, too have taken it quite a few times. The way, I seem to "remember" questions is I write it on the sheets of paper provided by the testing center. Then at the end of the test, I glance at the questions I wrote before giving the scratch sheets to the employee of the testing center.

You had a question about the reading portion. I scored the highest out my four categories in this section 30/35. I had a tutor tell me, that they have to give you clues. They meaning ETS. I think she may have meant that for the whole test about them giving you clues. I don't want my post to be removed, but in some of the answers are higher vocabulary if that makes sense.

Another thing the tutor told me which I found to be helpful was during the 30 min tutorial, write everything I mean everything you remember about the test, instead of reading about the tutorial. I have taken that time to write notes to myself and notice my scores have came up. She said the notes during the tutorial would work for any Praxis test as she did not tutor a particular subject, but she did tutor the Praxis.

I am not sure if you want to take my advice because I have taken it several times and had a concussion, but I have came up over 30 points since the first time I took it and need 10 more points to pass in my state.

Sometimes I wonder if they want to me pass the test, you can't discuss the questions and I can't even get an accomodation (sorry another thread.) I apologize for my attitude, but I feel like I am throwing my money out the window and I am pretty sure, I have paid for a computer or at least a chair, so I deserve to vent.

brookew likes this.
  30. Fiona1

Fiona1 New Member

May 22, 2015

Thank you so much for your reply! I have checked Elmer's English resources, however it showed that it has been moved.

I was a BA in English teaching and MA in applied linguistics. I download some study material here and there. however I didn't fail confident with whatever I have now. I would like to take a class or get some systematic study materials so as to get well prepared.

31. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2015

Good heavens: what on earth happened to that thread??

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2015

I still don't know what happened to the original thread, but I've moved the crucial first two posts to a new thread under a very slightly different name.

33. Teachtofreedom

Teachtofreedom New Member

Jul 6, 2015

Hi everyone, I am new here. I just took the ETS online practice test and this is my score breakdown:

I Reading: 40 out of 49
    II Language Use and Vocabulary: 24 out of 33
    III Writing, Speaking, and Listening: 30 out of 48

Total score: 94/130

I can't find any information that tells me how that score would correlate to the score needed for passage on the actual test. I'd like to know whether or not I need to panic about the actual exam. Thanks for any input.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2015

You're not in bad shape, Teachtofreedom; I wouldn't recommend panicking, by any means, but it looks like it might be wise to drill down a bit more on the writing/listening/speaking.

35. wildcateagle

wildcateagle New Member

Jul 10, 2015

So, I will be taking the 5038 for the third time next week. The first time I took the test I missed it by 10 points ,and the second time I took the test I missed it by 5 points. Every time I take the test I forget EVERYTHING!

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2015

Hugs, wildcateagle. But missing by just five or ten points is far from the same thing as forgetting "EVERYTHING!"

Try this: As you study and as you test, think about how you'd clarify the material/the question for a colleague that you like a lot who's struggling in the same ways that you struggle.

37. jdmcconn

jdmcconn New Member

Aug 15, 2015

Hello all. I took the 5038 this past Monday, and I received NS (no score). However, the screen showed my points for each section of the test: 29,21,28 = 78. I'm going out on a limb and guessing that is my raw score? If yes, then would this be enough to pass with a 167? Thanks

38. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Feb 13, 2016

I just took this test and scored raw score of 82. what did your scaled score end up being?

39. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Feb 14, 2016

can you share what your raw score was? I am waiting on my results and only know my raw score, which was 82.

40. Clay Morgan

Clay Morgan Rookie

Mar 4, 2016

I can understand the test anxiety. I am taking the Praxis 5038 on Wednesday.

I have been using a variety of sources to prep myself. I took a sample exam from a Mometrix book and didn't do well, which makes me nervous. I answered 68 correctly and as near as I can determine, 77 or 78 - depending on weight - is a passing score.

I also bought the Praxis practice test for $20 and did better on it - 87 correct.

Fortunately, looking at the two together revealed a couple of weak areas for me to bone up on, but also some consistency in strength. It has at least given me some prep direction, but I'm still quite nervous.

41. ECE1234

ECE1234 Rookie

Mar 13, 2016

I took the praxis 5038 and it showed a raw score of 161. How is thispossible if it were only 130 questions. I need to know if I passed