Praxis II elementary education multi subject

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by ST13, Aug 12, 2015.

1. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 12, 2015

Hi all! I am planning on taking the praxis elementary multi subject test for a VA licence very soon. I've never taken any type of praxis before, only NYS tests.

Can any one give me a heads up on what to expect? Is it comparable to the NYS multi subject cst? Do people usually pass on the first try?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2015

There's more than one Praxis multiple-subject test. Make sure you're taking the right one. The Test Companion on the Praxis Web site should tell you about the test structure and question types.

How comfortable are you as a test taker?

4. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 12, 2015

I have to take the 5001 multi subject and all the sub tests

I'm a pretty good test taker, but the thing is these questions cover SO much from what I am seeing online. I just found out yesterday I have to take the test and pass asap for a potential job acceptance so I'm taking it this week

I just don't even know where to even focus when I study. I don't rememener half these topics!

This is going to be rough lol

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2015

The 5001 series simply takes what you studied for on the equivalent NYSTCE exam and distributes it over four subtests. Breathe, please. I suspect you'll find plenty of stuff you used to know coming back to you as you study.

6. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 12, 2015

Trying to breathe haha.

After a few sample questions the math is definitely coming back to me. The ELA is hit or miss, and the science and social studies is as if I was taking the test in a foreign language. I mean, the last time I thought about protons and the periodic table, or the Monroe doctrine was when I was in HS!!

I took the NYS test almost 5 years ago, and I do remember it being kind of rough to remember all the topics, but I also remember the actual levels of the content to be much more basic than what I am studying for the praxis.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 12, 2015

Hugs, ST13. If you had the basic principles for NYSTCE, you'll have 'em for Praxis.

8. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Aug 13, 2015

I am in VA and was just looking at that...for elementary ed the RVE is also required...it may not be for those coming from out of state. Have you spoken with the licensure person in HR to make sure you will be taking the right test?

It appears you are taking reading and lang arts, math, social studies and science and will need a passing score for each.

9. ST13

ST13 Companion

Aug 13, 2015

Yup, I emailed her the test I scheduled and she said it was right so I am hoping I don't run into any extra issues!

I'm not really worried about passing ELA or math because those were two of my best subjects.... but science and social studies have always been super difficult for me, if I had more time to study I would be okay, but I don't so I think it's going to be rough.