Praxis II Elementary Content 0014

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Nailsaa, May 8, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2007

If you look through this thread, and through the other threads on multiple subject tests, you should find resources and approaches that will help.

Are you noticing particular areas of concern?

2. Mommytoteacher

Mommytoteacher Rookie

Nov 14, 2007

I am taking it this weekend.

And I just went to an informational mtg at my grad school.

I bought or took out from the library PRAXIS study guides for the specific areas, like English, Social Studies, Science, and took their tests. I bought the CliffsTest Prep books for Content Knowledge and again for each area specifically. I have heard people recomend getting the What your ____ grader needs to know. I got a little from that but it was more reviewing tests and going to find those points that I got wrong.

You will be surprised how much you start remembering.

Good Luck!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 15, 2007

People who "start remembering" - as opposed to believing they've never encountered the material before - tend to come out all right on tests like these.

The one hazard in plowing through lots of practice questions is that questions on The Real Thing may not resemble the practice questions very closely, at least on the surface. Surfaces can be deceiving, however.

4. kleinsch

kleinsch New Member

Feb 13, 2008

Although I took all the California versions of the Praxis a few years ago (CBEST, CSET, RICA), moving to Maine as a new teacher forces me to take the Praxis Series. While I found the ETS study guide for the elementary content knowledge exam USELESS, I recently stumbled across a test prep site for high schoolers in New York: regentsprep.org/regents.cfm

This site covers most of the material the ETS guide lists, with the exception of the language acquisition and literacy parts of the Praxis. What is great about this site are tons of multiple choice questions on each of the subjects, each linked to small lessons. If you don't get a math question at all, just click your way to the lesson. Today I reviewed symmetry, line equations, and transformations (things I either never heard of, like transformations, or never used since high school--everything else in math!). I feel like my study plan can be so much more focussed.

And if you think about it, if we are being tested as teachers on this material, a test site preparing students for the high school exit exam would certainly have a lot of similar material! There are some additional math topics we don't need for the Praxis (sine, cosine, etc), but for the most part, there is a very high correlation between the Praxis and the topics on this high school site.

So, check it out--see what you think!

And while I HATE having to study for the Praxis, I am thankful that it is all multiple choice and does not include PE

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2008
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 13, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, kleinsch. I've taken the liberty of editing your post, for your safety and this site's.

6. maggie66

maggie66 New Member

Aug 6, 2009

Praxis 0014 Newbie

I am new to the teaching world. I am a career changer and switching to education. Before going to grad school to become a teacher I have to pass the praxis 0014 exam. I didn't take teaching courses as an undergrad and I notice there is a lot of teaching strategy, teaching theory and language development in the language arts/reading section. Since I didn't take any of these classes as an undergrad can anyone recommend some textbooks that they used? I already downloaded some Praxis notes off of a website but they really didn't cover this area very well.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 6, 2009

You could go with textbooks, but you could also use the Internet: try Answers.com with terms from the Tests at a Glance materials that you don't know.

You might also look at your state's content standards documents for reading/language arts - these docs are almost certainly online. California has both content standards docs (which spell out what kids are supposed to know when) and frameworks docs (which flesh out the content standards with more specific suggestions for approaches), and there are very useful glossaries.

8. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Aug 8, 2009

Maggie,

I did alternate route as well and took the Praxis 0014 in 2006. My undergrad is in Psychology so I also had no knowledge of teaching strategies.

The good news is that the Praxis DOES NOT contain any teaching strategies. Not sure where you got that info from, but the Praxis is merely to test your content knowledge. The object of it is to test to see if you have enough knowledge in the various subjects to be able to teach kids. That's all. So don't fret.

I passed with flying colors the first time around and I used the following series of books:
    http://www.amazon.com/What-Your-Fifth-Grader-Needs/dp/0385314647

What Your 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th Grader Needs to Know (they are each separate books). I checked them all out of my local library and used those to study. I wrote various facts on notecards and took notes. I found it very helpful.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!