Praxis II Elementary Content 0014

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Nailsaa, May 8, 2006.

1. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 26, 2006

I hope Praxis has cleaned up its act a little as regards scores by phone. Some years ago a student in one of my classes called for results on one of the two MSAT tests - she'd done well enough on the other test that she needed a minimal pass, which was 149 or better, and the full pass was 156. Well, the voice on the other end told her that she hadn't passed with her 152. She was distraught - ready to re-enroll, to get score verification, the works. I suggested that she wait for the official score report. Sure enough, it said 'PASSED'.

The moral: If your particular bundle of tests includes a minimal pass option and you hear by phone that you didn't pass, check the math AND check the official score report when it arrives.

2. onthegogo

onthegogo Rookie

Jun 4, 2006

Nailsaa,

I took this test with only about two days prep. I was 8 years out of college with no teaching degree (and am not a genius). I realize, as another poster said, that people retain information differently and learn differently. However, I think the key is how you prepare. I scored a 176 on the exam with plans to become an alternate route teacher in NJ. I actually thought they'd hire me after all the garb about the need there, but that's a bunch of baloney and another discussion for another time.

Anyway, here is what I did with hopes that it might help you. Try buying one of those books to prep you for math on the GED. I think the one I used was a small paperback that covered all the rules and operations from basic arithmetic to geometry in order as you build these skills in school. It included summaries of all the rules and formulas, orders of operation, geometric rules and theorems, sample problems for you to review so you could see how the formulas worked, etc. This was a HUGE help, since I had made a D in college algebra. I crammed with this book, focused on algebra and geometry the most (after reviewing the basic rules I had long forgotten for solving basic math equations). I think this book saved my life on the exam.

For the language arts section I simply reviewed grammar rules and sentence structure. My journalism degree was actually my enemy in sentence correction, but a helper in other ways. Go over commas, semicolons, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc. Since you've had the test, you already know about the sentence correction section, which was my worst area on the test, BTW.

For science I simply obtained some info on the Web about rock formations and types, planets, cloud types, etc. I also crammed some basic world geography into the equation and a little human anatomy. It wouldn't hurt to hit basic cellular structure, photosynthesis, etc. I happen to be able to recall a lot of that stuff, so I didn't spend much time on it other than a brush up on the key areas of basic physical science.

I think the best help will be the GED-style / prep math book, if you can find a good one that is clear and concise with problem samples for each rule you need to memorize.

Good luck!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 4, 2006

Test prep books work well for some people; so do books that will be useful as classroom resources after the test is long past. (Please, people, don't think you're entitled to forget this stuff just because you've passed a test. If you keep the knowledge current, and look for opportunities to use it, I guarantee you will find them.) There are some fine, fine children's books in science, and some very good resources in history as well. Look for the book that presents the subject accessibly and that produces an average of one "Wow! Who'd'a thunk?" per page.

4. pattyp814

pattyp814 New Member

Jul 7, 2006

Have faith!

I took the Praxis 0014 content knowledge test on 6/10/06. It was my first time ... and I have no patience to wait for the results to come through the mail, so I paid the extra $25.00 and called and got my scores over the phone. (Note to anyone trying to do this through their automated system – it didn’t recognize me. I needed to stay on the line and talk to a human!)

I needed a 145 and by some miracle I got a 179. Teaching will be a total career change for me if it all works out (I hope, I hope!!) I am almost 36, have my degree in communications and have been working in a marketing-related field ever since I was 23, so needless to say, I need to prepare as much as I could for this test!

I often visited this website for encouragement before I took the test and also some more in the nearly 4 weeks since I waited for my scores to come back. By no means do I feel like I am the “expert of the day” on taking the Praxis, but I definitely felt like I owed the forum back my two cents on taking this exam (now that I know I did ok, that is!) If I can be of any assistance to anyone reading this, here's what helped me study - some of which I picked up as ideas from this or other forums!

1. I purchased the Praxis Content Knowledge ETS Study guide. Somewhat disappointing because it's basically a list by subject and sub-topics of what you MIGHT need to know. It’s basically a book that contains a list of topics. It is not a list of anything that you will actually be able to study or learn from in and of itself. It was a good guide to get me in the right direction, but that's about it! It does have an abbreviated version of a practice test, which was somewhat helpful.

2. I purchased the Kaplan 2006 Praxis Study guide. This book is huge, and it’s definitely more helpful (I thought) than the ETS guide mentioned above. It has a full 120-question test in it. Granted, I only used probably about 15% of what the book has to offer (since it covers many different types of Praxis tests, but I’m going to keep it for future reference.)

3. Either on this forum or somewhere else, I ran across some advice to visit the website Brainpop – I had never heard of it, so I went there. Lo and behold, you get a free two week trial (wink, wink, for each email address you use, that is.) and it provided a great resource to learn (or re-learn) the main topics of the 0014 exam of Language Arts, Science, Math and Social Studies. There you can pick a topic and view a “video,” followed by a pop quiz. You can select the option for each quiz to be emailed back to you. That way, later you can refer back to questions and all of the answers, the one you chose, and whether it was right or wrong – and if you selected the wrong answer, it tells you what the correct answer was. I think I owe a lot of my test score to this site, actually.

4. I learned of another great idea from an online forum, as well. USE YOUR TV TO STUDY! If you have a digital video recorder (like TiVo or maybe one through your cable company), program it to tape shows on educational topics. I found a TON of stuff on our local PBS station, not to mention the History Channel and some National Geographic channel that, previous to studying, I didn’t even know I had!!! Also, if you rent movies from your local video store or have a Netflix membership, there are some great options there. Through Netflix, I rented a DVD all about the U.S. Constitution and I learned a lot just from that one. If you don’t have access to these types of services, don’t fret … just don’t forget that your local library might have videos or DVDs on these types of topics you can borrow.

5. My last bit of advice is don’t pay full price (if you can help it!) from buying any of these study guides. Just make sure you know the ISBN # of the correct study guides you need. This is the unique # assigned to each publication that is found near the barcode on books, if you don’t know. That way, you can compare ISBN#s to make sure you are getting the right book. I almost made a mistake and purchased a slightly different study guide. I don’t know who names all of these PRAXIS tests, but it seems very easy to get confused on which test to study for, nevermind which guide to buy. Anyway, I am an online bargain shopper and was able to find the study guides I purchased at discounts through sites like Overstock. Go to a site like Dealcatcher first and search by store name to see if there are any additional discounts available for shipping or %s off, by chance.

6. Definitely take as many practice tests as you can. For the first time ever during taking a standardized test, I was VERY low on extra time. I almost freaked out during the test because of this. I couldn’t believe how fast time went by. I kept it together, though, and had about 10 minutes towards the end to go back and recheck (and change!) some of my answers.

Good luck to all … don’t give up hope!

5. onthegogo

onthegogo Rookie

Jul 7, 2006

Scores

Congrats to everyone who just passed! I got my scores today by phone for 0049 and passed with a 181. The crazy thing is that I thought I probably wouldn't make the 151 cut that GA requires. This was not my first PRAXIS either, so I honestly don't understand how I did it. I guess lots of prayer pays off :angel:

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 7, 2006

As to "who names all these tests"... different tests are in use in different states. Search the Praxis Web site for tests by number, not by name. You should be able to find the correct Praxis test numbers for your state (well, except for Georgia, which is transitioning to NES exams) on the state department of education Web site or by looking on the Praxis Web site for the link under Tests at a Glance that lists tests by state rather than by number.

pattyp814, it sounds like you put in the study time it takes to pass a test like this and to find resources that would keep you engaged. Well done!

onthegogo, you're blowing off your success. A score of 181 on a Praxis exam means you brought your brain to the game and you used it. Sounds like you might have some issues about test taking, though, and it's really easy (in this era of standardized testing all over) to pass that on to students, so let me suggest an exercise. For every moment that you spend thinking that your passing 0014 was pure luck, please spend two moments thinking of ways in which it wasn't: remember something you did before the test that prepared you, and remember something you did during the test that helped you.

7. mbr1189

mbr1189 New Member

Jul 11, 2006

I'm currently preparing to take Praxxis 2 Middle School Science. I'm feeling very overwhelmed.. especially the three constructed response questions. They are 25% of the total score. Which study guide prepared you?

8. futurenjteacher

futurenjteacher Rookie

Jul 11, 2006

when i studied for middle school science , i took it way overboard but i got a 179/200. If you look at the study guide (you can buy it cheaper from amazon or a number of other online retailers brand new) it is a rather significant amount of material. I took the exam alongside someone who used the ged science books which have a great amount of information. They are pretty solid. Again i went overboard only because im anal and studied to a point where i knew enough on each point. I bought college textbooks online (paid about 3-4 dollars per book because they were from the early 90's) THE BEST SOURCE FOR INFORMATION ARE THE HOMEWORK HELPER SERIES (CHEMISTRY, EARTH SCIENCE, PHSYICS,AND BIOLOGY) = these helped me more than the college books but used the college books as back ups. I studied about 2 hours a day, 3 on weekends for about 2 months using index cards. Totally overstudied and im sure you can garner enough information from the ged study books but i entered the test knowing i was going to pass. As far as the questions, as long as you sound logical, use the correct verbage and make sure you answer each part of the question , you should be alright. Again if you are short on time get the homework helpers and a GED scienc book...you will be suprised in the amount of information in them. Good luck from NY...we are not as bad as they say lol

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 11, 2006

Middle School Science isn't a multiple subject test, it's a single subject test. You'll find some cool goodies for science on the Single Subject Tests subforum. One great resource is Usborne's Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of Science, which you can get in most big bookstores or order on the Web at http://www.ubah.com/b1854.

If three constructed responses together are 25% of the score, that means each is worth only a little over 8%. Panic a little less, please. Do bear in mind that you CAN get partial credit for a question: as long as you say something that's reasonably within the ballpark, you will get some credit. Constructed responses for which you're supposed to allow less than 20 minutes each generally are short answers and can be bulleted lists.

Do you work much with middle schoolers now? If so, visualize your favorite kids during the test: they're taking turns asking you these questions, and it just happens that you're writing your answer rather than speaking it.

10. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Jul 15, 2006

I did it!!

I took Education of Young Children and the PLT for the first time on 6/10.....I got my scores back yesterday....and I passed them both.

I scored a 200 on the Education of Young Children and 198 on the PLT....

Ahhh, it seems too good to be true!!

~Ashley

Good luck to everyone else!!

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

Ashtrey, you truly rock! Congratulations! Don't forget to celebrate!

12. Ashtrey

Ashtrey Companion

Jul 15, 2006

Oh, I didn't forget to celebrate!! Actually my boyfriend and I had an early celebration.....We went to the Nickelback concert last weekend....I thought it would be the last time I could go and have fun without feeling guilty about bombing the test.......Talk about being SHOCKED when I read my scores yesterday. I think I am still numb ;)

Ashley

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 15, 2006

Now, now: take some credit for your accomplishment, please.

14. anncheval

anncheval New Member

Jul 13, 2007

I failed the first time

I am sooo depressed. I just received my PRAXIS scores and failed by 10 points. I studied and studied and thought i was prepared. Does anyone have any advice? I am thinking about ordering one of those computer guides from the internet that guarantees you to pass. I will probably take it again in September. SO how do you pick yourself up from not passing and get encouraged to take it again??? IF anyone has advice please help!!!!!:confused:

15. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Jul 13, 2007

Anncheval,

I'm sure you're very frustrated about not passing but don't let that get you down. You need to pick yourself up and just try again. The results should tell you what areas you need help in. Concentrate on those areas when you start studying again. I wouldn't waste your money on those guarantee things.

Get the books, "Everything your 1st grader should know", etc up to the 5th grade. You can check them out of your local library. Those have all the information you will need for the test. They are very good!

I hope this helps and again, don't sweat it. Just buckle down and try a different study tactic and you'll do great!! :)

16. runnergrl2miler

runnergrl2miler New Member

Jul 16, 2007

Hi FutureNJTeacher... question

I was wondering if there were any good websites that helped w/ science and math practice questions?? Thanks

17. PraxisMania

PraxisMania Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

Anyone have any pointers on study material for Praxis II: Content Elementary (0014) and PLT. I have Kaplan Praxis book and Praxis Secrets but I feel like I need more. I have writtin it twice already and am writing it again Nov 17. Please HELP!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2007

What are your problem areas, PraxisMania?

19. PraxisMania

PraxisMania Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

I'd have to say social studies and science are my worst areas. Being Canadian I know nothing of US history and there is so much to know! Knowing what to write for PLT it hard to. How do you know what they are looking for?

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 13, 2007

Hmmm... Tell me what sorts of things get taught to Canadian kids by way of social studies in elementary school. I'm betting that most of what you'll come up with is more nearly civics than it is names-and-dates history, yes? You should be familiar with the US Constitution in any case, so look for the history that connects with that: most of what's in the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the remaining amendments is driven by history, one way or another. And I'd bet that Canadian history and US history intersect more than you're thinking they do.

As to the science, a good kids' science book can be very helpful - I like Usborne's Internet-linked Science Encyclopedia and Dorling Kindersley's Online Science Encyclopedia, both of them available in paperback editions for about $20 - most big bookstores will carry one or the other or Kingfisher's fine science encyclopedia. (These are publishers, by the way, not authors.)

21. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Oct 13, 2007

22. PraxisMania

PraxisMania Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

I just did a quiz from a Praxis book I have and a lot of the questions had to do w/ health such as ventricles and diseases as well as growth rate. Is this considered elementary material? It seemed a little advanced. It is things I didn't learn until high school.

23. PraxisMania

PraxisMania Rookie

Oct 13, 2007

Thanks Leikela I'll check that out at my library. I hope Canadian libraries have it as well....they seem to be pretty limited :(
    How did you study for PLT? as far as knowing what to write for the case study questions.
    Any help is useful!

24. Leikela

Leikela Companion

Oct 13, 2007

PraxinMania,

I thought you were in Maine and not Canada? Anyway, I did not have to do the PLT. Just the 0014 Content Knowledge test which does not require any writing. So sorry I do not have any additional help for you there.

Also, if your local library doesn't have it, ask them if they can get it. Many libraries have an inter-loan policy where they can obtain a book you want from another library. Check it out. It will be worth it for this test. Best of luck!

25. PraxisMania

PraxisMania Rookie

Oct 20, 2007

Hey,

Anyone know what 'the rock record' is?
    Apparently it could be on my Praxis II exam yet I cannot find out what it is!!

Also, if anyone has any study information for Elementary Education: Content Knowledge (0014) it would be much help.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 20, 2007

The rock record is geological slang for strata (layers) in rock, especially sedimentary rock, and what we learn from them about what Earth was like and what kinds of life forms there were.

27. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Oct 31, 2007

I got the books "everything your __ needs to know" from the library. I am not sure i got the right one to study. mine says: "Making the Grade: everything your __ needs to know"
    please let me know if i am using the right books to study for 0014 test. thanks,

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 31, 2007

"The right book" is the one that helps YOU with the content, Valeriana.

29. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

Please!! what happens once we passed the test? (I am going for the alternate route since I went to school for something else)
    Do I call my county I let them know I passed and need to apply for a job? is there anything else I need to do? I already requested my validation of credits. I applied for the license early this year but since I did not pass the test ealier that means I have to register again with the BO Ed?
    Please advise!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh!!!! Can I get a job as TA, Math Lab help or anything while I get my license at any school???
    where do i go to seek for jobs? website, BO Ed of any county?
    thanks,

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2007

I'm the wrong person to ask, I'm afraid, but let's see if someone else comes along with a definitive answer. If not, you might check with your local university's college of education.

31. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Nov 2, 2007

I am sorry why the local university? do I have to take any classes if I have all credits? is there anything else I need to get licensed/credit for?
    I don't know anyone in this field to get a better understanding and when you call the County board of ed, they are so straight forward in their answers (like they don't want to give you info or something)
    thanks,

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 2, 2007

Not because you have to take any classes, but because universities that offer the classes often have people on staff who know what's needed and can steer you in the right direction. If you're not getting the answers you need from the county board of education, a university might be a good next option.

33. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Nov 4, 2007

thank you TG, I'll try that.

34. Mommytoteacher

Mommytoteacher Rookie

Nov 5, 2007

Studying for 0014 COntent Knowledge - HELP!

Okay! Hi! I bought this book with a CDROM (by REA) that I thought would help but now I am more confused than ever!!!!

All the posts I have read and information that I have reviewed prior to this book led me to believe that the test asked basic skills questions, not education/teaching questions. Which is true???

I am entering a post-baccaulerette certification program, so I don't have any prior coursework in teaching.

HELP!

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2007

0014 is Praxis II, so it isn't a basic skills test in the sense of Praxis I/PPST or CBEST or WEST-B - but it is a general-knowledge test, and the description on the ETS/Praxis Web site (see http://www.ets.org/Media/Tests/PRAXIS/taag/0014/glance.htm) suggests that its brief is NOT to test what you know about teaching. I'm guessing that the REA book you bought is for Praxis II in general, and you may have run across the discussion of test 0012, which poses four constructed-response questions that ARE about how you'd teach what you know.

Breathe, please.

36. Mommytoteacher

Mommytoteacher Rookie

Nov 6, 2007

Oh, so you can sense the fear in my post..... I haven't studied for anything in 15 + years.

The PRAXIS book I bought does have test 011 or 012 in it, as well. I did go on the ETS site and took the mini test there. It was easy, for the most part.

I'm just worried that I am studying the wrong material and will go into this not prepared. I'm having a tough enough time remembering math and science skills that I have gone without for many years.

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2007

As you study those skills, they'll tend to come back to you. Please rummage among the threads here - the test names may differ, but the skills are broadly similar, and you may find that posts on other tests answer questions you've got. In addition, don't hesitate to ask questions here: someone's bound to come along with an answer.

How were you as a test taker, back in the day?

38. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Nov 6, 2007

Me, for some reason I blank and panic. Last time I took the test I realized it was going to be over in a few minutes and I had a long way to go, so i guessed a lot of the questions.
    Also, the day I got my test scores I was so mad that i saw it and put it away (April 2007). Yesterday, I went back and I took a look at it: hey! I score 128 and passing score is 141 (just 13 points) does it mean that I only needed 13 to pass? (i know is a low grade but as long as you pass is ok right?)
    I am pregnant and due on the first week of march, so I am hoping to take the test of January 12 and if I pass (please! I really hope) and will try to study as much as I can and take the test for Middle School Mathematics. I hope to be ready for next school year.

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2007

Pregnant and testing is a bit of a challenge, yes; you might want to consider requesting special accommodation so the proctors won't hassle you for getting up and moving around and going to the bathroom (you'll almost certainly need a note from your doctor).

Scaled scores (such as your 128) don't quite directly reflect raw scores. But check through your score report to see if there's useful information - I know the score reports for MSAT (which was a Praxis II) used to show the areas in which the test taker needed more work.

Valeriana, I get the sense that your strength is in math. Why do you need to pass 0014?

40. trixie

trixie New Member

Nov 14, 2007

Study guide suggestions for Praxis 0014???

Hi- I'm new to this forum, from NJ, and studying for the Elem Ed Cont Know (0014). Does anyone have any suggestions for study guides?? I have the ETS study guide for this test which basically explains "what" to study but what should I be reading to pass this test? I've heard its hard! Help, please!