Praxis II Elementary Content 0014

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Nailsaa, May 8, 2006.

1. Nailsaa

Nailsaa Rookie

May 8, 2006

I am desperate for help. I have taken the exam four times with the fourth time being april 29, 2006. I haven't received these results as of yet but I felt just as lousy as I did the other three times. I just dont know what to do to pass. I have purchased almost every study guide and when I take the tests that are in the book, I do fairly well. When I get to the test center, the questions are so so so so different. Maybe I need to study differently. I get so overwhelmed with the amount of information they expect for you to know. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I pray that maybe I had a lucky day and my guesses were good. If I dont pass this exam I am very limited with what I can teach. Very limited. I think the only areas that I can teach are preschool and esl.:(

3. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 8, 2006

I understand your frustration with the test! I took it on the 29th also and thought some of the questions were really random. I didn't think the questions were as bad as I expected them to be but I understand everyone tests and retains information differently. There has been a bit of talk about this test under the testing forums with different methods that have helped various people. One of the suggestions was the Making the Grade Books: Everything Your ____ Grader Needs to Know. They go from 1-6 grade, I believe, and provide a wealth of information. I looked through them, briefly, and found that had I studied harder that I would have felt a bit more confident with the science section of the test. Can you take the test on June 10th? What were your weak points on the other tests?

4. Nailsaa

Nailsaa Rookie

May 8, 2006

Praxis II

I can't even tell which areas were my weakest. Definately the math. The other three times I took the exam they pretty much had the same types of math question. Basically relating to probability, mean, median, mode, algebra.... This time the questions in math were very bazzar. Even the Language Arts, there were very few questions relating to simili, metaphore, etc. I did go to the library and saw the books that you were talking about. I think what is happening is that I get so fustrated I shut down. I will say however, that this last test, I atleast got through the entire test. I used my test taking strategies. all the other times I never even made it to the end of the test. I was just picking the letter C all the time. I want to pass this test so bad. I am going to register again but I think this time, I am going to take it at a completely different test center. Maybe I just need a different location. I just graduated from college on April 28th. Worked full time, went to school full time, have four children aged 12,10,8,and 4, graduated Magna Cun Lade and I can't pass the Praxis. I feel so STUP....
    :(

5. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 8, 2006

Don't feel stupid! That will not help you pass the test and could possibly hinder your ability to take the test well. I signed up for the test again in case I didn't pass and the good thing is ETS will refund your money automatically if you passed the April 29th test. How far have you been from passing the test for New Jersey? I thought the science section was random and even some of the social studies questions stumped me. The only advice I have for having to retake the test is to pace yourself. I decided to do the math section of the test first because I figured it might take me a little more time than language arts or social studies. I did the language arts and social studies sections next allowing myself as much time as possible to do the science section. I ended up having almost thirty minutes left over once I finished science to go back over the questions I was unsure of. If some of the math concepts are getting you, look into an algebra book or algebra study guide to help reinforce those concepts. There were not many math questions on the test that I was unsure of but I also brushed up on a lot of math concepts that I hadn't seen since elementary and middle school before I took the Praxis I. I used the Kaplan Praxis book and the math section in the book helped a lot. As a result, I scored a 182out of 190 on the math section of the Praxis I (and math has never really been my strong suit!). Just don't give up and feel defeated! You can do it and you never know, you may have passed the test!

6. Nailsaa

Nailsaa Rookie

May 9, 2006

Praxis

I thought I was totally brushed up on the math. Actually, I felt the most confident with the math before I began the exam because I new every formula, had the algebra down packed etc. But there were absolutely no questions relating to them. My test was probably different than the one you took. Anyway, I will continue to try and study and hopefully I will someday pass.

7. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 9, 2006

I wonder how many variations there were of the test because I know there was a girl in my room that I befriended before the test who had the exact same test that I did. Just don't give up or put too much pressure on yourself.

8. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

May 13, 2006

I know its still early but has anyone heard how they did yet? I'm trying to decide if I should take the June 10th one or wait until August. It will look better if I pass before looking for jobs

9. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 14, 2006

I'm counting down until I can call in for my scores. I went ahead and signed up for the June administration because the program I'm in went ahead and gave the participants another chance to take the test. Yea! I did have a dream that I passed the test though, maybe that's a sign. Only 12 more days until we can get our scores!!!

10. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

May 14, 2006

I'm thinking I'll sign up tomorrow just in case. My mom also told me about the portfolio option in NH. I was like why didn't you tell me about that before. I think the praxis optionn is better though because I work in VA so the praxis will transfer better then portfolio. Sarah

11. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 17, 2006

I'm from NJ too and I too took the PRAXIS II 0014 Elementary Education on April 29th, 2006. I have two friends that took it awhile ago and they said it was easy and they passed with flying colors. Still, I studied very hard for the test!

I was a little dismayed because I thought the test was hard!! There were people there taking it for the second time too. Like some of you, I need to pass this as a one shot deal in order to be able to summer teach in July and start teaching in the Fall. I still registered for the June 10th one just in case.

After reading how the test is scored, I am a bit more confident about passing it the first time. It looks as though it could go either way. A lot of people seem to pass it the first time around and others are going on their 3rd and 4th times. That kinda makes me nervous. I will find out by phone a week from this Friday on May 26th, 2006! Good luck to all of us!!! :)

12. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 17, 2006

I'm still counting down and there are only 9 more days until we can check our scores!!! I'm really excited but I have stopped stressing so much about the test. I also thought the test was hard and I left the test unsure of my fate...guess we'll see soon!!!

13. futurenjteacher

futurenjteacher Rookie

May 18, 2006

I took the test for NJ on March 4th and got a 179 but i studied my *** off. For history, I used world history and us history for dummies and a high school textbook (which you can find online cheap). For math i got another high school textbook and 1,000 math problems. I also took the middle school science test so i was overprepared but the easiest way to do that is Homework helpers series. Finally for English i literally got the ets book and via internet got all the main points. Good luck to you guys. It took me 2 1/2 months of disciplined studying (working full time) but its better to be overprepared. Again good luck and if you guys need any other tips please feel free to ask :)

14. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 18, 2006

futurenjteacher,

Whereabouts will you be teaching in NJ? Did you do the alternate route program?

That's great that you studied so much!! I studied hard too, at least I thought I did. I got the ETS book where they tell you WHAT to study and I knew all the answers to those questions. I still thought the test was hard though. I was also finishing up my BA degree at the same time so it was hard for me to devote a lot of time to studying but I threw all my studies aside for two weeks straight to study. I probably needed to study more, but we will see a week from tomorrow!

A friend of mine didn't study at all and got a 161 so that gives me hope. :) Again, good for you for you score!

sstager, I'll post here when I get my scores and we can compare. :) Here's to both of us!!

15. futurenjteacher

futurenjteacher Rookie

May 18, 2006

I will probably be northern NJ , i live in NY. Yup, i am doing the alternate route program. I totally overstudied lol but I am sure you did fine. Alot of it was common sense. I did the same for the Middle School Science test ( started March 6 - April 27) did about 2 hrs. per day and 4 on weekends (wayyyyyy too much , trust me tested my limits but went in super prepared). I figured with a middle school science cert. i will never be unemployed and in demand lol. there is a huge shortage of math and science according to the DOE people that i have seen lecture at the teacher jobfairs. Hey good luck, i will also hear next friday. I took my test on April 29 for the science. If anyone needs any advice or help with the science (if interested) please feel free to reach out. GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY

16. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

May 18, 2006

Hey all,

Just my 2 cents... I took the test back in January and passed on the first try. When I took the test with 2 other friends, we ALL thought we failed, it did seem quite hard. Turns out we ALL passed the first time and actually did better than we thought we did. For me, the key was to NOT study so much of the content (especially for SS and Science), but to focus more on the TYPES of questions. There are a few books out there with practice tests and we just took the practice tests over and over and then reviewed the answers... it's good to try and see they TYPE of questions/anwers... this is a test where they really want you to synthesize, not just recall facts. Anyway - I bet you passed! Best of luck!

-Matt

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 18, 2006

Great point! This is true of pretty much ANY teacher test: it's not just knowing the facts, it's being able to do things with them that you haven't ever quite seen done before.

18. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 18, 2006

futureteachernj,

I will be teaching in Northern, NJ as well. I just got my school assignment. Hold your breath... Newark Public Schools. That was actually my first choice. I am doing this through the NJCUE program. Have you heard of it?

It is funded by federal grants, so the government pays 80% of my tuition and the hiring school district pays the remaining 10% of my tuition. I will be going to school for my MAT through this program. After 18 months I will be certified in K-5 and Special Education. I am starting classes next week and student teach in July and then start teaching in Sept!

The good part of this program is that we also get a mentor for the first year and the tuition free part isn't bad either. I also like how when I'm finished I will have 33 credits towards my MAT completed. We also get a $2000 stipend for when we quit our regular jobs and student teach for 6 weeks.

It seems like a great program and this is Year 4 of it (it's a 5 year program) and so far it's been highly successful. They place in Newark, Paterson, or Jersey City so you have to be willing to work in an Abbott district so it isn't for everyone.

My MAT, when I'm done will be through Montclair State University. I'm actually going there tonight for my Orientation for this program. I'm so excited! My future hinges on this PRAXIS exam!

Matt, your post really helps me to feel better. Thank you!! I feel as though the only part I really ACED was the Language Arts and Reading section. It's good to know that you did a lot better than you thought. :)

19. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

May 23, 2006

praxis praying.....

Well guys only three more days till we can call in. If we don't call in when should we expect the results? How much more money is it? It's probably just another way for ets to make money out of us. Good luck everybody a prayer couldn't hurt!

20. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 23, 2006

I'm so ready and will pay the additional 25 to get my scores early because it says on the website that they will not be mailed out until the 30th. Plus, I really need to know how much more studying I may need to do in order to take the June 10th test (hopefully none!!!)...Good luck all!!!!

21. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 24, 2006

Yeah, they charge you an extra $25 on the phone in order to get your results then. 2 more days!!! I'm with you sstager. I'm going to pay the additional money because I need to know if I have to start studying for the June 10th exam too! Good luck everyone!!

22. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 24, 2006

I guess since today is almost over that we can say there is only one more day until we find out!!! I'm so ready and excited!!!

23. futurenjteacher

futurenjteacher Rookie

May 24, 2006

GOOD LUCK to everyone...I am going to call as soon as they open up...which I believe is 8:00 am! lol the wait has been so stressful lol

24. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 24, 2006

I'm so ready and excited too!!! :) Do you think it will work if we stay up until midnight on Thursday? Technically it will be Friday! :)

25. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 24, 2006

Wow, if we're all calling, then I bet the phone lines will be very busy!! Do you know if it's automated or do you have to talk to a live person?

26. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 24, 2006

I don't think so because I believe there are only certain hours the automated system works. But I wish!!! Especially since I am usually up that late anyway! I have a good feeling about the test and hopefully that means I passed! I hope everyone all the luck in the world!!!

27. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 24, 2006

Just checked, I will be calling at exactly 8 am!!!

28. futurenjteacher

futurenjteacher Rookie

May 24, 2006

when i called it was for my elementary education score , it was automated but i had called after office hours....this time its middle school science...i just called and they said that the scores are available when they open which is 8:00 am...bummer lol

29. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 24, 2006

I think I will go stir crazy if I keep thinking about it so I am going to be preoccupy my mind with something else until Friday! Good luck all!!!

30. iluvbaci

iluvbaci New Member

May 25, 2006

I called today and was able to get my scores. I passed both tests!!!! Maybe your scores are available too. Good Luck All!!

31. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 25, 2006

I just called and I PASSED!!! I got a 166!!! I'm so freaking excited considering I didn't really study for it!!!! YEA!!! I get to teach! Everyone else, check your scores because they seem to be available and good luck!!!

32. iluvbaci

iluvbaci New Member

May 25, 2006

Congrats!! I've been lurking this board and saw how nervous you were so I decided to post!! I am happy for you!!

33. futurenjteacher

futurenjteacher Rookie

May 25, 2006

I just checked mine i passed too i got a 179 on the middle school science...good luck everybody with your careers....

34. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 25, 2006

Thanks and congrats futurenjteacher! I'm so glad we are getting good news right now!!!

35. futurenjteacher

futurenjteacher Rookie

May 25, 2006

Its pretty awesome that we alll understand all the angst and stress it took to find out and now look at us....WE RULE

36. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2006

futurenjteacher and sstager, congratulations! iluvbaci, thanks for making yourself official here and congratulations! sstager, I know you said you didn't really study, but nobody passes these things purely by luck. Go celebrate properly, all of you, all right? And teach your future students to be test passers, too.

37. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 25, 2006

You guys ROCK! Thanks so much for posting this info. I'm so happy we were able to get in a day early. I just called and Passed with a 167!! WHOO HOO!! Good luck to all of you guys in your careers!! :)

38. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 25, 2006

Leikela, well done! Go reward yourself! (Positive reinforcement is a crucial part of test passing.)

39. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 25, 2006

Thank you so much TG!! I will definitely reward myself this weekend. Have a great holiday! :)

40. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

May 25, 2006

I'm so happy for everyone!!! I will celebrate this weekend at the lake!!! Congrats all!!!

41. PenCelia

PenCelia Rookie

May 26, 2006

I called at 7:57 am. It was like what state do you want the results for. I went for NH since its scores are higher then VA. I'm certified in both states. (provisionally in VA) I was all nervous as my kids were walking in to start the day. I passed for both places. Yeah what a relief! I'm hq now(highly qualified). I want to get a list of the states I can work in now. How did everyone else do? Sarah