Praxis II: content knowledge study helps

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Outdoorz, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

Hello,

I have to take the Praxis II: Elementary Education Content Knowledge test this fall in order to apply to the Elementary Education program at the university.

What helped most of you prepare for this test? Should I buy the study guide put out by ETS? or are there other materials I could use?
    Any advice is most appreciated.

Thanks!

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jul 18, 2011

For me it was a lot of common sense stuff. Hard to study for. You can go to barnes and noble and puck up a study book there.

4. smtownEngteach

smtownEngteach Rookie

Jul 18, 2011

I've only ever taken the Middle and High School Social Studies content knowledge tests. I also have my certification for M.S. Lang. Arts because in Missouri if you major in MS ed with two concentrations if you pass in one they automatically give you the other ( I guess it is do to the college hours you already have in the subject).

Anyway, I found the ETS study guide and practice tests to be helpful with both of those tests (passed them both on my first try). I am currently studying for the HS English Praxis (just because I want to have as many certifications as possible for subjects I am qualified in). I am using the Cliff Notes study guide to study for it.

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jul 18, 2011

I only took the HS English Praxis and used the cliffnotes book. It worked great!

6. Mrs.SLF

Mrs.SLF Comrade

Jul 18, 2011

The information covered on the 0014 test is pretty broad and the study guide from ETS does not help that much. I've taken the 0014 test and secondary social studies. I think it also depends on what your strong suits are. I found the math, language arts, and social studies sections of the test a breeze. It was the science section that I felt I should have reviewed more for. Granted, I took the test 5 years ago but thought it wasn't too difficult, in general. I bought the "Everything Your (insert grade level) Should Know" and promptly returned them to Barnes and Noble because I didn't really use them. Good luck!

7. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 19, 2011

I agree with the PP that science gave me the most trouble but, then again, it always has. Honestly, I found the test easy enough. If you feel like you need extra help, you might want to check out the book "What your Sixth Grader Needs to Know." It was recommended to me and might help some.

Good luck.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 19, 2011

Hello, Outdoorz! Come check out the posts on Praxis II 0014, and other states' similar tests, on the Multiple Subject Tests subforum: you can get there via the Forum Jump tool at the bottom left of this page.

9. Rox

Rox Cohort

Jul 19, 2011

What helped me the most was taking the test right after I took some classes. Although it seems that your program requires you to take it before you start the program. Do they require you to pass it or just take it once before you start?

10. smtownEngteach

smtownEngteach Rookie

Jul 19, 2011

I wondering about this as well. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have passed my tests without having taken classes first!

11. Outdoorz

Outdoorz Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

We have to pass the test before we start apply to the program. It's been years since I've had any general education classes. So, I need to study a LOT.