Praxis II 5161

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by alexf322, Apr 7, 2014.

1. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Jan 24, 2016

Hi, I am new to the Praxis tests so if someone could explain it would be great.

A little about myself: I am 23 years old, a graduate of UC Davis with major in mathematics, and this is my second year teaching math at a private high school. The subjects I currently teach are Geometry, Algebra 2, Applied Math, and AP Statistics. On the subject of teaching certifications, I have passed the CBEST and CSET Math Subtests I, II, and III.

My plan is to eventually work in public schools which is why I am currently enrolled in an online teaching credential program through WGU. The program requires that I take the Praxis test but I not really aware of what those are. What does it test you on specifically?

Thanks

P.S. Gnostradamus, what was your raw score? I read through some of the above responses and it seems you need about a 35 or above to pass, but I really don't know anything more than that.

2. Gnostradamus

Gnostradamus New Member

Feb 7, 2016

Go to your local library and find a Praxis 5161 book. Work on the problems and then go over all the answers, even ones you know, just in case there's something you may have forgotten, a trick you didn't know, etc.
    You should search online first, actually. The NYPL has one book online for the test, with two sample exams. I finished the second one literally right before leaving the apartment on the day of the test.
    I got 31 of 34 on the first category (numbers , etc), and 16 of 16 on the second (geometry, etc). The scaled score was 200. From your resume, I don't think you'd have any problems at all.

3. Gnostradamus

Gnostradamus New Member

Feb 7, 2016

One more thing, in case I wasn't clear enough: stop worrying about passing and focus on the content. If you know your stuff this test is easy to pass. It's not a normal standardized test for students (and school) that asks complicated problems that take 5 minutes to solve and check. It asks good conceptual problems that, if you understand it, takes a few steps usually. Take advantage of the calculator on screen, obviously. Make sure you download the ETS trial and tutorials and know how to use it.

And at the end, you'll get rough scores. I thought there was some problem when I saw 200*, and didn't realize that WAS my score. I was exhausted mentally I guess, so try not to have to study the morning of the test.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 7, 2016

Praxis tests are given in a number of states that don't have their own teacher tests. More Praxis states are east of the Mississippi than are west of it. 5161 is a Content Knowledge test, which means you'll see no constructed response questions. It lasts 150 minutes and you have 60 questions: either some questions are going to be very intense, or most questions involve more than one response from you (for instance, question 47 might have you "drag and drop" various bits of a solution into place, and each correct drop counts as its own point even though they all belong to the same question).

Go have a look at the Study Companion at http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/5161.pdf: it spells out the test's structure and coverage and serves up some sample questions to give an idea how questions may be formatted. Scores are scaled from 100 to 200, and passing scores for all the states that use Praxis tests are at http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/passing_scores.pdf: for most states the passing score is 160 (that is, 60 out of 100 scaled points required), which is pretty comparable to CSET's 120 out of 200 scaled points required. Since 5161 is a single test, you pass or don't pass the whole thing: a mediocre performance in geometry could be redeemed by doing better in algebra, stats, and calculus.

Unless you're happier dealing with just one kind of math at a time, I doubt Praxis 5161 is going to give you much grief.

5. rshook12

rshook12 Guest

Feb 7, 2016

Gnostradamus,
    What is the actual book called on NYPL. I would like to search it in order to take the practice test that they have. Is it a online version or is it a book that needs to be physically borrowed? I take the test on Friday and need all the extra practice I can get! Thanks

6. Kris1226

Kris1226 Guest

Jun 1, 2016

I'm sorry but I do not agree. Passing a test alone doesn't automatically make you a good teacher anymore than not passing a test makes you a poor teacher. Some of the worst teachers I've had in the past had were certified or had advanced degrees and knew the material well. Similarly, I did horribly on my GREs but was still able to get into an accredited program by taking a different test the school accepted and I did really well in graduate school.

7. innovationguy

innovationguy Cohort

Jul 11, 2016

I think there are two issues being confounded here: excelling on a test doesnt automatically make one a competent teacher -- theres so much more to teaching than subject matter knowledge -- but mastery of content (as indicated by, say, high scores on a VALID test: a regular test or an alternative one) is a necessary albeit not a sufficient touchstone of a good teacher. One might not be able to engage students at a higher-level if one's own understanding or knowledge or mathematical sophistication is limited, is all. The point is ceteris paribus (all things equal), we'd prefer a teacher in the top-quintile, say, in their degree program (how it is in Finland, Norway, Singapore) teaching our sons and daughters than someone at the bottom quintile...again, assuming OTHER skills and attributes are comparable.

Jay.
    www.praxismathguru.weebly.com

8. MathLadyC

MathLadyC Rookie

Jul 15, 2016

Hello! I would like to add my experience and some study material. I have a BA in Mathematics. I've been out of school for 3 years. I took 5161 today for the first time and it showed my score at the end as 170*. (I didn't pay attention to my raw score because problems are weighted.) I studied for only 4 weeks, not including weekends. I bought the ETS practice exam and Mometrix study guide. Time management was also my problem, I had about 8 problems I wasn't satisfied with but was out of time and couldn't work the problems anymore. I also have the Kaplan study book for the PLT 7-12 and it has study problems there too. There are 18 free practice problems provided by ETS on their what to expect from the test PDF. Could not use my own calculator, I had to use the on screen one and was provided paper and pencils (I had to get extra paper!). Oh and problems are multiple choose, select best answer and fill in the blanks.

9. Gnostradamus

Gnostradamus New Member

Aug 5, 2016

Jay put it well.

So many people (including teachers) say, I'd rather have someone who teaches well, but doesn't know the content, than someone who's an expert at the content, but can't teach. My response is always, why can't we have both?

You're giving up a lot to choose either of the false options, given by society and politicians who don't want to put in resources.

Let me say again I don't blame any teachers even if they don't know or can't teach, so long as they're trying. It just means the pay or working conditions (respect, support, etc.) are not good enough to attract or retain the most highly qualified individuals.

10. PointDragon

PointDragon Rookie

Sep 8, 2016

I just failed the 5161 for the fourth time. My score was a 158 with 33 problems correct. Do not believe the materials that say 32 problems is passing; it depends on that particular test. I'm 61 years old and wear progressive bifocals, and taking the test on the computer is very challenging for me. Looking over the accommodation instructions, it does not look like I will qualify for a paper test.
    When I left the testing center for the last time, proctor told me that as of 9/1, ETS will require 5161 test takers to use the online calculator. Yuk!!!

11. GALENA

GALENA Guest

Nov 19, 2016

hi. Please I would like to ask 3 things

1 When you finish your exam, how can you know your score ? Can you read on screen..?

2. Can you received any document with your score in hand or by email ?

3.- Score. now november 2016 is between 100 and 200 ?
    Thanks