Praxis II 0041 ran out of time

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Tchr20yrslatr, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Tchr20yrslatr

Tchr20yrslatr New Member

Apr 14, 2013

Background: I'm a career-switcher with a degree in English Lit. I graduated in 1996 (YIKES!) and took the paper-based Praxis 2 0041 yesterday. After studying for about 3 weeks, I took about 5 practice tests, scoring 175-195 (30 wrong to 12 wrong) on each. However, I ran out of time on the Praxis 2 yesterday, leaving 2 blank and guessing on 4. My weakness (most incorrect answers) has always been the Language & Linguistics portion of the test.
    Question: Should I re-take the same (computer-based) test before I receive my scores? I am afraid that receiving a failing score will psyche me out for future tests (if need be.) I have to have a passing grade by 8/9/2013 to get into my program.

3. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 14, 2013

What score do you need to pass? I took this same test a few years back. I ran out of time too. I panicked and almost canceled out the score. However, I didn't, but I walked out of there sure I failed. I passed! I think I needed 150 or 155. I got 10 points higher then I needed.

At the time I took the test I had to cancel out before I left the test site. Can you still cancel out? Anyway, good luck to you. I wouldn't cancel out. If you don't pass, the test gives you a break down of how you tested. That could help you in the future.

4. Tchr20yrslatr

Tchr20yrslatr New Member

Apr 14, 2013

172 is a passing score in VA...

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 14, 2013

I went to the ETS site. I took the test in Utah, and the score needed is 168. I got 178. I should have checked instead of going on memory!!!! You only left 2 blank and 4 guess, right?

If it were me I would wait it out. I moved to Mississippi, and had to take another praxis. I took the computer based. It gives you the score as soon as you finish the test. Then in about 10 days you get the offical score...which is the same.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2013

I'd wait for the scores. August is a while off yet.

7. Tchr20yrslatr

Tchr20yrslatr New Member

Apr 14, 2013

Thanks for the feedback...I guess I'm just really nervous. And to clarify, the passing score is needed by August 9 (application deadline) to start the teaching program this fall! There's only one more paper-based test between now and then (June 8). There are plenty of computer-based tests between now and August, but I'm concerned that I won't do as well on a computer-based test as I've never taken ANY tests on the computer in my life! However, I think my anxiety level may be lower if I take a computer-based test before my scores come out May 3. What have I got to lose (except for $115). : (

8. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Apr 14, 2013

I was scared to take the computer based test too. Now that I've taken one I wouldn't want to take a paper based test again. And getting your score as soon as you finish the test is awesome. No waiting. Its been awhile since I've taken this test, as I remember it was multiple choice, no constructed response or essay...so if multiple choice you will get your score immediately. But why not wait until you know if you failed?

9. Tchr20yrslatr

Tchr20yrslatr New Member

Apr 14, 2013

I think it will psyche me out...the pressure!!!! I'd feel like I was on the free-throw line, down by one, with 3 seconds on the clock....or it could be like being on the free-throw line, up by 6, with 3 seconds on the clock. Which scenario would you prefer? Ughhhhh!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2013

0041 is indeed strictly multiple choice. Language & linguistics questions account for 15% of the score. I don't recall offhand if Praxis still automatically refunds one's test fee if one signs up to retake a test and then finds one doesn't need to, but that might be a worthwhile question to research.

11. katniss61

katniss61 New Member

Apr 26, 2013

Just curious, where did you find all the practice tests? I have only found one through ETS. With the scores you reported, I'm sure you passed. It seems to correlate pretty well.

12. katniss61

katniss61 New Member

Apr 26, 2013

Ok....I also have some comments for you about getting your refund. I have taken this Praxis twice now. I too am switching careers later in life. I originally graduated in 89...mostly before computers unless you count my Commodore 64. I first took this test at a promtetric testing center and was shocked to learn about the current testing policies. I knew that I would be monitored, but didn't realize the proctor would be walking behind me the ENTIRE time. In addition, I had people on either side of me getting up and leaving and being repalced with new test takers during the time I was there. After the initial shake down I was already feeling less than comfortable. It's 10 times worse than airport security. You cannot bring in ANYTHING with you, including a stick of gum. It must be in your mouth before you begin. In addition they informed me that if I wanted to take off my sweater, I would have to raise my hand and ask for a monitor to come retrieve it. (Gee I thought dressing in layers was a smart thing since I didn't know what the temp of the room would be.) I was not surprised when my non passing score reflected on the screen. I immediately scheduled my retake test when I got home.
    OK...so the next test that was available was the paper test in another three weeks. I thought great. I KNOW I'll pass this one. This is how I took all my tests going through school, and I USED to be a pretty good test taker. So I continued to study and felt pretty confident that I could ace it the next time around. I'm also on a time frame too. I only need two things to get my Alternative Cerification, a passing score of 168 on the Praxis 0041 or 5041, and a Teaching Methods course that I can take online through the ODE (Ohio Dept of Ed) AFTER I have passsed the Praxis.( I lost my job due to company cutbacks a year a half ago.) I would like to have all my requirements done in time to look for a job this summer. After that I will be out of time and money to make this happen.:dizzy:

So round two. I arrive at the University for my scheduled exam. (April 13) And I get the proctor from Hell! She was so frazzled and disorganized. She is loudly complaining to all of us about how she doesn't have enough room to seat everyone in the room. She is confused about procedures and the directions for all of us test takers. She starts to read one set of directions, and asks the group for clarity on what each thing means. OMG. One girl is filling out a bubble sheet with her name and basic stuff, and this woman freaks out and grabs the paper from her. She then realizes that its ok for her to be completing that task and hands her back the paper. The woman sitting to my right tells me that she had taken an earlier test with this crazy woman and that she had them filling in the bubble sheets DURING the TIMED part of the Test. :eek: Are you kidding me? So after much confusion she finally tells us to begin. But it was so abrupt...no warning like a normal test usually has. And then another woman enters the testing area. I don't know if she is a friend or a teacher or what. But I am sitting directly in front of them and they proceed to have a conversation. Not whispering but loud talking for a good 5-10 minutes!! I am SOOOO angry at this point, I cannot even contain myself. I am literally shh shhing them. And they keep talking. I have already figured out that every minute is a question that I'm missing because of them. She finally leaves and the woman proceeds to be distracting by noisily crumpling the plastic and paper that the tests were packaged in. I literally want to scream.
    I don't have my score yet. The earliest is May 3 (by phone if I want to pay the $30) or May 7 if I don't. I have their policy on refunds memorized. If by some miracle I passed this time, I would receive an automatic refund for any future test that I schedule. Now the written policy states that it has to be canx a full three days before the next test is taken. I however have called and emailed a complaint to the Praxis people and was told that I would recieve my refund without regard to the three day rule. I am now scheduled to retake it on May 9th. After much personal debate I am retaking it again on the computer. I just pray for no distractions this time. I am really developing a test phobia anxiety now. Good luck to you. You probably passed it.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2013

My sympathies, katniss. I'm sorry to say that the level of test security you experienced is prompted by the ingenuity of previous test takers in finding ways to smuggle information into and out of the testing room. (I can remember when mechanical pencils were acceptable testing gear... until someone was caught with a cheat sheet tucked into the barrel of a refillable mechanical pencil. Sigh.)

14. katniss61

katniss61 New Member

Apr 26, 2013

Ohhhhh thats why. Geeeez. I was wondering why you couldn't have a mechanical pencil.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2013

I'll guess on the gum that some idiot wrote crib notes on the inside of a gum wrapper. (And there goes taking peppermint to the test too, I bet. Double sigh.) I know that other idiots have tucked crib notes in the hoods of their hoodies and written them on the underside of their baseball caps or on the backside of the label of their water bottles, and by now I'm pretty sure, Lord help us, that someone's probably tried annotating the wrapper on her tampon.

16. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Apr 26, 2013

Cheating will always be a part of test taking. It is pretty sad to think future educators would cheat. :(

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 26, 2013

Well, and the issue's compounded now because computer-based testing generally takes place in a center that administers various sorts of tests, including tests for college and grad-school entrance plus licensing exams for other professions. I doubt the cheat rates are any lower in any other profession, frankly.

18. Scott71

Scott71 Rookie

Apr 26, 2013

As long as test are about jobs, cheating will be a reality. Sad, but true.

19. katniss61

katniss61 New Member

May 22, 2013

Third time's a charm! Finally passed with a 178! Yay!

:hugs::whistle:
    So I finally passed this Praxis 0041! I took it at the computer testing center and had a much better experience this time. I'm happy to report too that I DID get a refund for the previous test I took. I am sure that other people must have complained about our crazy proctor lady who administered that test. I only got my score back from that one a couple of days before I was scheduled to take my third exam, (just in case I did pass) and found out that I did do a lot better than I thought. I actually got a 163 on that one. ( In Ohio, you need a 168 for the Alternative Certification.) :whistle: So anyway, very relieved to have that part OVER!!

I do have a few recommendations for anyone trying to pass this test. Aside from knowing the basics, that are highlighted in the ETS study guide, it is more a matter of being able to work quickly and interpret long complicated passages. Just practicing taking timed tests in the subject matter, was the most helpful to me. I bought the Cliffs notes for the praxis and took all their tests. Also familiarize yourself with all the classics that you may or may not have read in school. (My education was really lacking) I've learned to Google like crazy and found a great website called shmoop. And then for fun, I reserved a bunch of the classic movies (from classic novels) from my library. There are also a bunch on Netflix. (Just remember to cross reference the movies with cliff notes, sparknotes, or shmoop for story changes).

20. kc_in_va

kc_in_va Rookie

May 22, 2013

Katniss, thank you for the advice. I have to pass this test to enter my career switcher certification program and am taking it on June 8. I'm glad they refunded you for the test with the awful proctor...what a bad experience!

I'm a little stressed about my upcoming test. I've taken the practice tests from ETS and Cliff's and am scoring about 75-85%. I know that the answers are weighted differently depending on difficulty so I can't predict my "real" score but hopefully I can get the 172 that I need to pass.

My area of weakness is the literature...I graduated from college in 1993 and it's been a LONG time since I've read a lot of the works I'm seeing on the practice tests and guides. I'm reviewing (using Sparknotes) the books I have already read, and reading the original works that I never ended up reading in school.

I'm also having a hard time with poetry. My background is in technical writing and journalism and I've always found poetry mystifying! I plan on reviewing and memorizing the terms (meter, rhyme, etc.) but the actual interpretation of a poem is difficult for me. :(

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2013

Hugs, kc_in_va.

Here's a good start: http://www2.webster.edu/~armbruka/engl1030/handouts/interpretpoem.htm. Here's another: http://faculty.gvsu.edu/websterm/Readpoem.htm

Perrine & Arp's Sound and Sense is a classic introduction to poetry; you might look for it used, or see if your local library has a copy you can borrow, though it will take a while to work through.

For a quick overview/review, SparkCharts Poetry is a good choice, and it should be easy to find at your local Barnes & Noble. The companion Literary Terms is a good choice along with it.

I think perhaps you're focusing on the differences between poetry and journalistic writing or technical writing, but you might try looking for similarities. Good journalistic writing is composed under much more time pressure than is most poetry, but the idea, as it is with a poem, is to convey meaning without wasted words. The poem differs in that it may (and usually does) convey multiple meanings; one justifies one's interpretation on the basis of the evidence in the poem (and that's where all those literary terms come in).

22. kc_in_va

kc_in_va Rookie

May 22, 2013

Thank you, TeacherGroupie. Those links are very helpful. I seem to have a fairly literal interpretation when reading poetry, and the deeper meanings pass over my head. For example, on the practice tests, the question of "What is the theme of the poem?" or something similar is asked, and none of the answers are related to what I thought the poem was about!

Some of the problem may be that I'm also out of practice with reading poetry...I did enjoy it in the past but I don't really seek it out in my free time reading. :)

My local library doesn't have Sound and Sense but it looks like inexpensive used copies are available so I will look into getting one. I borrowed an American poetry anthology from the library to look over and am thinking that I can try some analysis of some of the poems and then search online to see if I'm on the right track with what others say about them.

Sounds like another road trip to Barnes and Noble is in order too. :) (I got a couple of the SparkCharts a couple of weeks ago but not the poetry one.)

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2013

Hm. Are you getting themes correct on non-poetry questions?

24. kc_in_va

kc_in_va Rookie

May 22, 2013

For the most part, yes. My reading comprehension is generally good, but I seem to be missing the meanings of the poems. For example, from one of the study guides, they had an excerpt from Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard," which apparently "mourns the loss of a way of life," which I didn't get at all from the poem. Another question is about T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock," which I thought the theme of was fear of getting old, but apparently was that he was "paralyzed to act, specifically to eat a peach." That's just one line from the poem...?!

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 22, 2013

Nicely answered. You have less to worry about than you think you do. There is so much going on in poetry - such a high density of information per word - that it's generally possible to identify a number of themes; as long as you can defend your choice of theme from information in the text, you should be fine.

As to the theme of Eliot's poem... well, even the best study guide isn't always perfect.

26. kc_in_va

kc_in_va Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

I took the test this morning and am feeling fairly positive about my chances of passing. There was blessedly little poetry to interpret and the answer choices were pretty straightforward. :)

The resources (and advice) on this forum helped a lot, so thank you!

To get back to the original post, I found I had plenty of time and was able to go back and check my answers. There were 15 or so questions that I was unsure about, but I think I got at least some of those right. I found that it helped to mark those questions I wasn't sure about (but take my best guess) and come back to them later.

What was most helpful to me when studying was to take a whiteboard and map out the periods of literature with dates of each period, and put a few representative authors under each one. For example, that helped me know that the Romantic period in America was a little later than the Romantic period in England, and get a better sense of when each author was writing.

Fingers crossed....

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 8, 2013

If you don't pass this time, I suspect you'll come very close and nail it next time.

28. kc_in_va

kc_in_va Rookie

Jun 8, 2013

Thanks, TeacherGroupie. :)

I also forgot to mention, I used SparkNotes & wikipedia to read a lot of summaries of classic literature that I'd forgotten or never read before. I did end up reading some whole works (none of which were on the test, of course!) but didn't have time to read everything, so the summaries were helpful.

29. kc_in_va

kc_in_va Rookie

Jul 1, 2013

Got my results today and I passed with a 199 (Va requires a 172). Whew! Thank you to everyone here for the invaluable resources (study guide recs, Elmer's English resources, etc). I don't think I would have done as well if it hadn't been for this group.

I needed to pass this in order to enter my alternative licensing program in the fall, so I'm very happy that I can now "officially" enroll! :)

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 1, 2013

The noise you hear, kc_in_va, is TeacherGroupie purring with satisfaction. Praxis scaled scores typically top out at 200, so you've done rather well for yourself.