praxis ii 0041 & 0043 PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by 504girl, Feb 9, 2012.

1. 504girl

504girl New Member

Feb 9, 2012

Hi I am trying to pass the praxis ii 0041 & 0043. I have taken 0041 twice. I live in Louisiana and need a score of 160 to pass.
    First time-150
    Second time-146
    I have been studying and really do not know what else to do. I am orginally a business major and decided to go the alt route to become certified in secondary english. I am not allowed to student teach this semester because I could not pass praxis ii content knowledge.

Do you know of any good suggested reading list? Also, do you have any recommendations on what materials would be best for me to study?

I really need all the help I can get, I need to pass this exam. I am starting to feel a bit depressed because I have already failed twice. Please Help!!!!!:(

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 9, 2012

Praxis official score reports used to break down the results by domains tested. If you've downloaded your official reports, do they shed any light on where you're struggling?

4. chasisaac

chasisaac Comrade

Feb 10, 2012

First. Breath.

Look at the backside of the score reports. What did you do bad in? Place emphasis on that section.

I would also suggest (as others have) to get the Lit 101 Spark Notes book.

When you took the test what did you know or not know? When I took mine there were things I just knew I did not know.

Sit back and evaluate. This is a time when reflection really helps. Sit down and write out as many of the quetions you did not know. The ones I did not know stick with me better.

5. SydMcCums

SydMcCums New Member

Mar 3, 2012

Books to Study

I am taking this test March 10th. I am studying the following:

Romeo and Juliet
    Hamlet
    The Crucible
    The Lord of Flies
    Huck Finn
    The Great Gatsby

My plans is to hope that one of these is on my ten literary work to choose from.
    How are you studying them? I am finding key lit features, examples, obstacles, and chosing two activities for each book!

6. chuckles

chuckles New Member

Mar 4, 2012

0041 PRAXIS II

You are studying ten in hope that you will have one of those on your test. Would you explain that? Does the 0041 test require analyzing one literary work? I am taking the test soon, and appreciate your feedback. Thank you!

7. SydMcCums

SydMcCums New Member

Mar 11, 2012

You choose one literary work, and there are ten to choose from. I choose to know Hamlet, along with 3 others. Hamlet was on my exam!

Get your timing down and you should to be good!

8. wouldlee

wouldlee New Member

Jul 14, 2012

i take the 041 monday. did u ever pass? how does the scoring work b/c there are only 120 questions. ... what is your best advice?

9. ksatcher

ksatcher New Member

Nov 29, 2012

I have my under grad in BA also and I am teaching secondary english but have to pass 0041 before january or I do not have a job next year. I have taken it once and i missed it by like 7 points. Any advice on what to study?

10. leigha41

leigha41 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

I am supposed to take 0041 in April. I am trying to get into Va Career Switchers. I have to get 170 on it, but do not have to take 0043. I am afraid too. The information seems overwhelming, but I have my faith and am trying. I get so overwhelmed with the sheer volume of material that I have to deal with. I sometimes either feel that I can't do it, or it's just not worth doing. I have not given up. I have alot of books that I bought on Amazon. The one I like best is "The Complete Idiot's Guide To American Literature". It carries you through the major Periods and Movements. It emphansizes the important writers and why they are important. The book has simple language and makes the concepts easier to grasp. My plan is to compare that to my Barron's EZ - 101 Study keys, sort of paralling them at the same time. I also have the Sparks 101 Literature where I will try and get the overview of all the stories.
    I am not sure what to do about English Lit at this point. Essay portion is not on 0041. I only have to deal with that test in VA. However, if you are taking 0043, "The Principles of Literature" may help.

11. leigha41

leigha41 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

Wow,
    that's sort of new to me too. I thought the whole thing was multiple choice with 0041. Could you explain that?

Thanks

12. leigha41

leigha41 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

I would like to know the answer to that too. Thoughts anyone?:confused:

13. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 30, 2012

I found 0041 to be pretty easy. With 0043, my issue was running out of time. Luckily I did well enough on the first essay for it to not matter that I didn't do well on the second one. Also, it is lucky that the passing score on that test in my state is embarrassingly low. My strategy for 0043 was to review five works very well, mostly looking at lesson plan ideas for those books. Then I looked at a wide overview, in case none of those five were on there. For 0041, I just reviewed the practice questions on the website.

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Nov 30, 2012

I think he meant 0043. On 0043, you have to write lesson plans and answer questions about how you would teach a work of literature, which you choose from a list provided. The 0041 test is (or at least was) multiple choice and has many authors, genres, and writings on it.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2012

Praxis official score reports used to give a breakdown of test results by domain, in order to help retakers get a sense of where they did well and where to focus. If the score report doesn't give you that information, use the outline of the content tested in the Test at a Glance doc as a checklist: any technical term or concept that you don't already know cold is worth at least looking up on the Internet.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2012

The Tests at a Glance doc for any Praxis exam, or the information on its preparation page, will always begin with a breakdown of the test into domains, duration, and types of questions.

0041/5041 is strictly and solely multiple choice: 120 questions, 120 minutes.

55% of questions are on literature and literary analysis; there will certainly be questions for which the test taker needs a broad acquaintance with literary movements and periods, but one generally doesn't need a deep knowledge, and I'd expect more questions to focus on analysis. Know the figures of speech.

15% of questions are on language and linguistics; know parts of speech well enough that you can tell not only whether "fallen" in "the fallen tree" is a verb but how one knows, brush up on the sorts of conventions that Praxis I tests, and be prepared to name the major divisions in the history of English.

30% of questions are on composition and rhetoric. Think about how information can be packed into a passage, how it can be extracted, and how one might teach a student either to compose or to, um, decompose a text.

17. leigha41

leigha41 Rookie

Nov 30, 2012

:)Thanks for clearing that up. I was going to try for 0049 to get into VA Career switchers, but then felt that 0041 would be a better fit. I love this site.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 30, 2012

The Internet is a huge and wonderful resource. Use it!

Since you've indicated that your background is not in literature, I'd urge you to prepare for more than the test specifies - for the highly practical reason that, once you're anywhere near the classroom, you have to know more than the test specifies in order to meet your students' needs adequately.

19. leigha41

leigha41 Rookie

Dec 1, 2012

I am trying to fucus on American Literature. I am understanding the movements and how they helped to shape our country. I have not started on English Lit, and at best will only have a vague handle on it. What other areas should I really focus and pinpoint here?

20. leigha41

leigha41 Rookie

Dec 1, 2012

Also, I could hold off and take the test. I could take some Lit classes first at the community college. Would that better prepare me for what I am in for in the class room? Ultimately, when I endorse in English, it is only to get my foot into the door of the Career Switchers program. I would like to move on from that to teach women general education skills who are incarcerated. What are your thoughts? I majored in Recreation and Leisure studies in college. Although I started in Education all those years ago, I made a wrong turn. Now at 48, I would like to go back. I cannot afford to go and get my Graduates degree, and even if I did, I would still have to deal with Praxis in order to get Licensure. My initial plan is to get into the program, get initial licesure for English, and then move on from there.

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 1, 2012

I don't know how people go about becoming teachers to the incarcerated, so I can't really speak to questions about that. What I do know about the odd collection of things I've learned over the years is that just about everything I've ever learned has come in handy in at least one teaching situation.

Are you an avid reader?

22. leigha41

leigha41 Rookie

Dec 1, 2012

No, I'm really not. Every now and then, if a novel gets my attention, I can't put in down, and then I end up getting the sequels as well. However, I do work full time, and tend to be more of a tv person. I have been learning alot about American Literature, but working just does not leave much time for anything else. I'd really like to change my life, but now I'm afraid that it may just be too late. I just don't know what to study or how hard to study it.
    I'm getting frustrated.

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 1, 2012

Hugs; I didn't mean to jostle a scar.

The individual histories of the various literatures are important - but, those aside, it's pretty much the case that the tools of literary analysis don't vary from literature to literature, genre to genre, or even really medium to medium. In other words, TV will do nicely, actually: if you make a point of looking out for aspects of dramatization that remind you of elements of literature, you can even count some of your TV-watching time as study time. (Advertisements are terrific for identifying bandwagon vs. endorsement and so on.)

Those tools don't much vary from state to state, either. In the sticky thread "Elmer's English resources", toward the beginning, there are some glossaries that can be helpful for most states' English-teacher tests, though they happen to have been inspired by one state's. Any term that you don't already know, look up: my favorite tool for the purpose is Answers.com, because it doesn't dredge up Web sites, it dredges up... um, answers. (These include answers from Wikipedia, which absolutely shines for this purpose.)

Somewhere in this forum there are a couple of poems posted for literary-analysis target practice. Feel free to rummage them up and play with them.

24. ksatcher

ksatcher New Member

Dec 18, 2012

I AM IN THE EXACT SAME BOAT YOU ARE IN. BUSINESS DEGREE.. TEACHING SEC ENGLISH NOW. I MUST PASS 0041 BY THE END OF JAN 2013 OR I LOSE MY JOB. ANYONE PLEASE HELP. I HAVE TAKEN IT TWICE. 154 BOTH TIMES

25. Kunde003

Kunde003 New Member

Apr 17, 2014

VA new praxis 2 English 5038

Hi everyone, this is my first time actually writing in the forum but I've been reading it for quote a while. I am a teacher in VA I already have my license in secondary social studies and I am thinking of adding English as an endorsement. I took the 0041 test in September and missed passing by 1 point 171...grrrrr I took a bit of time and devices to take it again I was signed up to take the test tomorrow but I've come to find out that VA no longer accepts the 0041 test and that now you have to take the 5038 test. Here's the thing I cannot find much info on that exam!!! The only thing I've seen is an ebook on the ets website for $22 whoa that's a lot especially for something I can't even hold in my hands. So basically after lots of rambling I'm wondering if anyone out there might know of a resource I could use or possibly what kind of difference there are between the 2 tests. I took a short 25 question quiz on the ets site and only missed 2 questions so I guess that's a step in the right direction :haha: hopefully someone sees this and can help out

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 17, 2014

The best and cheapest way to figure out the difference between the two tests is to download the Tests at a Glance doc for 0041 and the Test Companion doc for 5038, dig through the Test Companion till you find the point at which it starts looking like the Tests at a Glance, and then compare and contrast the two docs' listings of topics covered.

All Praxis exams whose numbers begin with 0 are paper-based; all Praxis exams whose numbers begin with 5 are computer-based. Beyond that, I seem to recall that 0041 is a content-knowledge test, which means it's solely multiple choice; one would want to know, and the docs I've mentioned will specify, whether 5038 is multiple-choice only or includes constructed -response elements. The two tests are likely to differ more in form and delivery, and possibly in emphases, than they do in content per se.

Let me also recommend leafing through threads here that are oriented to other states' English tests.

27. geauxgirl

geauxgirl New Member

Jul 15, 2014

I took the praxis 5041 today and did not pass. My score was a 148. When I took the practice exam by ETS I scored a 158. Any suggestions on how to read faster but not miss important details?

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2014

Try scanning the question(s) before you read the passage, and (where possible) start with questions that ask you to go to a specific place in the passage before you do questions that ask you about the passage overall.

29. geauxgirl

geauxgirl New Member

Jul 16, 2014

Thank you TeacherGroupie, I will try reading the questions first and see if that helps. I also purchased items from ExamEdge, so I am hoping these things will help, considering my next test date is schedule for Aug 14. Any suggestions on studying for items that are "off the wall"?

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2014

What do you mean, "off the wall"?

31. geauxgirl

geauxgirl New Member

Jul 16, 2014

There were several questions that had items in it that I had not a clue of what they were talking about.

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 16, 2014

If one really and truly has NO clue, then one skips the question and goes on. It's rarely the case that one has NO clue, however: for the author one has never heard of, one draws on one's knowledge of the period and style, and if one can't draw on one's knowledge of the period and the style because one never heard of THEM before, one considers the label that said period or style is given and figures out what it must mean and what it can't mean. (For instance, "postcolonial" isn't going to refer to the US, because the US went straight from colony to independent nation, so the place in question is most probably some place in which European nations had colonized earlier but are no longer colonial powers, which makes the period post-World War II.)

futuremathsprof likes this.
  33. Mai

Mai Rookie

Sep 20, 2019

Please for the love of chocolate-any new information for English 5038 (where I can go for help, tips, advice etc). I've already downloaded Elmer's notes, but not sure if it's used for this specific test (it seems to be for CSET?)...Thanks.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 20, 2019

Think of the Elmer's files not as answers to direct questions in the test but rather as the tools with which, given a text or a task, you construct and support an answer.