PRAXIS II 0012 HELP!!!!!

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by teachwannabe, Apr 7, 2009.

1. teachwannabe

teachwannabe Rookie

Apr 7, 2009

I'm taking Praxis II 0012 elementary education content area exercises on April 25 and don't have much teaching exp. at all (been subbing for 6 months). Please advise on how I can prepare for the test! I've a copy of ETS study guide, but don't feel well prepared at all.

3. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Apr 10, 2009

perhaps you could look at other state tests for the study guide if you google MTEL you can get to the MTEL site and d/l the MTEL general curriculum for a practice test. Praxis and MTEL I think are made by the same ppl- so perhaps looking at other tests could help you out. That is what I did for the early childhood. Good luck! Also, my school advises us to get the scholastic series of books entitled everything a fifth grader needs to know about.... homework. be it geography, math, science, english. whatever.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 10, 2009

MTEL is made by Pearson Evaluation Systems (formerly National Evaluation Systems); Praxis is made by ETS. The two companies' tests tend to differ in structure. I don't recall whether any MTEL exams cover curriculum and instruction, but it's not impossible.

5. tcharite

tcharite Rookie

Apr 13, 2009

Kaplan have the best study guides

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 14, 2009

For some test takers, yes, though not for others. And that's fine: it's why there should be many different resources available.

7. who me

who me Rookie

Apr 14, 2009

I remember being totally overwhelmed by the amount of information covered on that test. I used a variety of test prep books. I really studied the examples given to know what they were looking for in an answer that earns the most points. Be sure to answer all parts of the questions. I also made a list of different activities used with small and large groups. I found that helpful because I didn't waste precious time trying to think them when answering a question. Even if you are not completely knowledgeable on your given topic, you can come up with a great plan for answering your question. I was lucky enough to be somewhat familiar with my topics but, I have to admit, for a couple my knowledge was quite limited. I still did manage to do well on those questions. Good luck to you!:thumb:

8. teachwannabe

teachwannabe Rookie

Apr 20, 2009

Thanks for the tips! List of activities is a great idea. :)

9. maddyb732

maddyb732 New Member

Apr 22, 2009

Know your terminology

The test is about five long answer questions. It gives you certain scenarios and you have to write how you would design instruction to meet certain requirements. It asks about instructional strategies as well as behavioral management techniques. I can remember wishing that I had brushed up on my education terminology prior to taking the test. I recommend asking the teachers at the schools you've been substituting in some names of creative instructional strategies, behavioral management methods, and just some "educational words" that they may remember from college. Here are a few terms I would be familiar with to get you started:
    cooperative groups (homogeneous and heterogeneous), think-pair-share, Inquiry-based learning, KWL charts, Anticipation guides, tableau, scaffolding, zone of proximal development, diverse learning styles, differentiation

Also, remember if it asks you to design a project or a lesson, remember to include a motivation, closure, and a way of assessing. These things can be short, like for assessing: exit ticket or every person response.

Most importantly...relax so that you can let the creativity flow. When you are given the scenarios, just think about what you would do in that situation if you had unlimited resources. The test focuses on your knowledge of instructional strategies, not on content.

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 22, 2009

What a cool first post, maddyb732! Welcome to A to Z, and thanks for sharing!

11. teachwannabe

teachwannabe Rookie

Apr 22, 2009

Thanks so much!!!! That's really helpful. I've already made a list of activities, and now I will add some key terms to my list. :)

12. teachwannabe

teachwannabe Rookie

May 26, 2009

Thanks for all your tips. I passed!!!!!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 26, 2009

Congratulations, teachwannabe!

14. MsF

MsF Rookie

Jun 12, 2009

I am taking Praxis2 (0011 & 0012) They have signed me up for session 1 at 7:30 and session two at 10:45. Will I only get one test at a time? Or is it similar to the CSET where they give you all the test booklets at once?

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 12, 2009

One test at a time, I'm afraid, MsF.