Praxis I

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Talyarox, May 13, 2006.

1. Talyarox

Talyarox Rookie

May 13, 2006

I want to vent a little about tests. I live in Washington and was required to take the WEST-B for my "entrance" to the teacher ed program and take the Praxis II to get out (graduate). I am applying to some different states and they require me to take the Praxis I. I have paid the 125 and will take it next week, but I don't understand it, I passed the Praxis II for all my endorsements (on the recognition of excellence list) and the WEST-B with top scores. I know I am going to pass with flying colors but 125 dollars?
    After looking at the study guide for the Praxis I, it looks just like the WEST-B. Hopefully, it will be worth it.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 13, 2006

Talyarox, given what you've said about WEST-B and Praxis II, you should do just fine with Praxis I.

General point to all: If you've passed state X's teacher tests, it doesn't hurt to ask state Y whether those scores can be accepted in lieu of whatever test state Y requires. (Well, asking is a waste of time if you're applying to California, but other than that... nothing ventured, nothing gained.)

I'm not at all sure what about Praxis I is worth $125 when CBEST costs $41 or $42, but oh well.

4. Talyarox

Talyarox Rookie

May 20, 2006

Yes, I had asked and they told me that I NEED to take the Praxis I...they didn't accept the WEST-B. So I took it on Tuesday, I passed, no problem (I'll find out about the writing later, but I shouldn't have a problem with that either) Well I found out TODAY that if you passed the GRE with higher than a 1000 than you could have skipped the Praxis I! I took the GRE last year! I just want to tell other future teachers that are moving to another states, find out what tests are needed and what can be substituted.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 20, 2006

Hm. That bears remembering, that some states will waive Praxis or the equivalent given a strong score on GRE. For the state in which you're interested, is there an expiration date on that, do you happen to know? - if, say, the GRE score is ten years old or more, is the waiver no longer available?