PRAXIS I Math...ugh!!! No motivation to retake it :(

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by GradSTUDENT07, May 15, 2007.

1. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

May 15, 2007

I responded to a Praxis question several months ago (Time does fly) well, I re-read my post and I realized I sounded wonderfully positive about the Praxis, well not anymore.. :) After putting off the Praxis math test for months, I can no longer put it off and registered to take it @ the end of next month. I passed the Praxis reading/writing sections but the math I missed by 6 points. Math has always been a weakness for me. I saw some of the math website posts and will check them out and I have the book...but I don't have the motivation. Any advice to help me get motivated, would be much appreciated? This last semester was tougher than I thought it would be, I had two units, several lesson plans and a ton of smaller homework assignments. I'm tired :) and have no energy to study! and next month I begin my thesis! Ugh! lol! :eek:

Plus, if you have any great tools you used to study that might help.

Thanxs

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 15, 2007

Which "the book"? If that book isn't doing it for you, for heaven's sake find something else... You might find Usborne's Dictionary of Math useful, though you'll probably have to order it through your bookstore or rustle up someone in your area who sells Usborne books.

For someone in your position, actually, best bet might be to volunteer in, say, fifth- to seventh-grade math. There's nothing quite like explaining math to make you know it.

4. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

Jun 13, 2007

Thanks Teacher Groupie

I havent been on for a while...but I wanted to thank you for your response. I've been getting help from my family and friends who are great at math so hopefully that will help. I have ten days until the test. I had a chance to look at some of your responses to other questions and you are always very helpful!

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2007

You're welcome, GradSTUDENT07. Now pay it forward...

In fact, practice that thinking during the test. If question 20 gets you stuck, try thinking about how you'd help a kid through it.

If there's a kind of problem that has you bugged, try posting it here. Someone's bound to have an answer. (I have reason to believe that Aliceacc, who is the kind of high school math teacher we all should've had, keeps an eye out for test takers' math questions on A to Z.)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm always glad to help.

But tomorrow is my Comprehensive Exam-- 177 two hour exams to grade, then report cards to do by Monday morning. So be patient if my responses are a bit slow, OK?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2007

Many, MANY hugs to you, Alice, and to your students.

((unrepentantly) And I still say I wanna be in Mrs. A's class...)

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 13, 2007

We'll see how many of my 7th graders think that way tomorrow :)

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 13, 2007

Yeah, but next year they'll be glad they were with you this year, I bet.