Praxis I help

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Hopeful-Teacher, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Jan 4, 2007

I will soon be taking the Praxis test. I have heard horrible stories about this test and how hard the Math portion is. I am horrible in Math. Can anyone offer any suggestions or help about how to go about studying for this test? I will be starting an Algebra course next week, so I am hoping that will help.
    Thanks for your help.
    Elizabeth

3. imblessedx4

imblessedx4 Rookie

Jan 7, 2007

Hopeful-Teacher,

I too will be taking the Praxis 1 exam in March. I have heard, from my future cooperating teacher that this test is a lot of common sense. Like you, however, I am looking for a great test-prep website. I do not want to take the common sense thing for granted. What is common sense to one person, may not be to another.

I will check back often to see if anyone has posted a website to your question!

Wishing you great success, Hopeful-Teacher!!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2007

I don't know that I'd say it's common sense, exactly (has anyone else noticed that common sense is anything but common...?). It's true, however, that tests like these are looking for skills that are typically taught well before high school.

For reading comprehension, I like LearningExpress's books, which are widely available, especially Reading Comprehension Success in 20 Minutes a Day. Your local library might well have it.

For math, either Dr. Math on Math Forum (http://mathforum.org) or Purplemath (http://www.purplemath.com) are great choices. Check the Tests at a Glance document to get a feel for just what you really do need to know: it's not uncommon for test-prep books to overstate the math required.

For essay... well, ya gotta write. That's about all there is to it.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2007

Let me add that attitude is a big ingredient in test-taking success. Just because people are telling horror stories about a test doesn't mean that those stories have to be true for you. Try imagining that your best friend is going to take some other test and is miserable because it's going to be horrible and she's horrible at this and that, etc., etc. Would you let her keep talking trash like that? I bet you wouldn't: I bet your teacherly instincts would rise up and you'd set about helping her to find ways that she could succeed.

Well, my dear, when it comes to Praxis I...

... you're your best friend.

6. imblessedx4

imblessedx4 Rookie

Jan 7, 2007

TeacherGroupie,

You have some wonderful advise! Thank you!! I truly try to disregard the horror stories! They are counterproductive!!

Blessings, Laura

7. Mija

Mija New Member

Jan 7, 2007

I just took the Praxis I test in December in Iowa. I didn't study for it and I am 54 yrs. old. I did just fine on the 4 1/2 hour test. Don't worry, you will do just fine.

8. Mija

Mija New Member

Jan 7, 2007

I didn't find the math section of the Praxis I that difficult and I dislike math. Use common sense when answering some of the questions and study some basic algebra problems and you will do fine.

9. imblessedx4

imblessedx4 Rookie

Jan 7, 2007

Thank you, Mija!!

Blessings, Laura

10. collegefbfan889

collegefbfan889 Rookie

Jan 10, 2007

Use the answers to your advantage. Plug them in the problem when you can. See if this helps.

11. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Jan 12, 2007

Thank you all for all of your replies. I know that I would encourage my friend to do their best. I guess that I just need to gain more confidence in me! :)
    I am taking an Algebra class, so hopefully this will help me with my Math on the test!
    Thanks again,
    Elizabeth

12. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2007

Good luck !
    If I could pass them, anyone can! Trust me I HATE tests!!!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2007

Now, now, deedee: nobody ever passed a teacher test purely by luck, with no knowledge involved.

14. deedee

deedee Connoisseur

Jan 13, 2007

Your right! :rolleyes:
    I did study , especially for the math portion! ( my weakness)

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 14, 2007

Much better.

16. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Jan 29, 2007

I have a question also. I'll be taking the PPST April 28. I've done several pretests from study guides. I'm improving as I go along but still have no idea how well or poorly I am doing. Does anyone know the conversion scale for raw score to final score or where I can find it?

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2007

There isn't a simple answer to that. The reason for this is that it's darned near impossible to write a bunch of test questions that are exactly equivalent in difficulty, so the algorithm that converts raw scores to scaled scores has a series of fudge factors built into it.

(The word algorithm is math-ese for 'way to solve a problem': you could say that adding 2 + 3 by counting on your fingers is a kind of algorithm.)

It is possible to get a ROUGH idea of how you're doing. It takes some math, though:

Find the scoring scale for the test you're taking. Praxis exams tend to be scored on a scale from 100 to 200. 200-100 = 100, so there are 100 scaled points available. If a passing score is, say, 172, 172 - 100 = 72: the test passer needs 72 of the available 100 scaled points, or 72%. Multiply that by the number of questions on the test, and you get a rough approximation of how many you need to get correct to pass.

18. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Jan 29, 2007

Thanks. This is very helpful. I tried this and it looks like I am making passing scores but not by much. I prefer a bigger buffer zone. I'll continue hitting the math sites I saw in another post.

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 29, 2007

Make sure the prep books are testing what Praxis I says it's testing: it's not uncommon that prep books misrepresent the math, for example.

20. TeachyBon

TeachyBon Rookie

Jan 30, 2007

I purchased a study guide and read read read over and over.. Math was my weakness, so I had a friend work with me on it. I gave another teacher friend look over sample essays, and give me suggestions on how to improve. I also found that the study guides make it look harder than it actually is (just my opinion, of course! :) ) Don't ever underestimate the power of a good night's sleep and healthy breakfast!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 3, 2007

And a good attitude.

22. Mr.MiddleSchool

Mr.MiddleSchool Comrade

Feb 4, 2007

My experience with the Praxis I wasn't bad at all. I passed it the first time I took it. I took the computerized version. (If you get the choice of paper version or computer version..i would suggest computer b/c it's a lot easier to keep track of your time and instant Pass/Fail feedback on the Reading and Math parts.)

But yes, the test is basically a more expensive version of a SAT...that's the best way I've found to describe it. You should know the basics of English and Math. And just as long as your composite score (math + reading + writing) is at or above the required passing score.. somewhere between 530-535 if i'm not mistaken, you are good to go.

So, practice reading comprehension, refresh your memory on math, and practice your composition and you should be fine.

-Mr.MiddleSchool

23. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

Feb 26, 2007

You'll do fine.....

Hi

I just took the praxis last week. I was scared to take it for months, but the weird thing was that once I registered I wasnt that nervous. I took the computer based test and scored a 178 on the Reading, however I was 6 points short from passing the math section for Connecticut. Even though I didnt pass the math, I don't feel that the questions were super hard. If I had focused on studying more of the math, I know I would have passed it. From what I've heard alot of people either get alot of logic problems or alot of algebra on the math portion of the test. I'm going to retake it in April. Once you've taken it you'll know what to expect. Don't worry, you'll do fine. Just stay positive.

24. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 5, 2007

I've been boning up on my algebra. I had forgotten quite a lot. But logic? Okay I went to the library over the weekend to check out some logic books to reaquaint myself. All I found were probability books. Is probability the same as logic?

25. GradSTUDENT07

GradSTUDENT07 Rookie

Mar 5, 2007

Is Probability the same as logic?

Hi,

I'm not sure about that, maybe someone else on here might know.
    The test I got had a lot of charts. Pie graphs etc. on it.
    I also had some algebra but it didnt make up even 1/2 of my test.
    Heres an example of a similar question that I got on my test:

Percent of Freshmen, Sophmores, Juniors, and Seniors at a college:

Freshmen 30%
    Sophomore 26%
    Juniors 25%
    Seniors 19%

(These figures are actually divided in a pie chart)

There are a total of 12,000 students. How many more freshmen are there than seniors?

A. 1,320
    B. 2,280
    C. 3,000
    D. 3,120
    E. 3,600

(taken from Barrons how to prepare for the Praxis book)

If I hear anything else about the math portion of the exam I'll let you know. Remember, the tests vary so you might end up with a test with alot of algebra. I have to start studying again myself, so I understand how you feel.

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

Probability is, for example, the likelihood of grabbing a green M&M out of a bag that has other colors of M&Ms in it. You calculate it by dividing the number of green M&Ms there are by the number of M&Ms in the bag.

Logic problems of the sort that show up on Praxis I generally involve five people with five different houses, cars, and pets, and you have to reason out who has which. LearningExpress has a couple of books that can be helpful - I don't remember the exact titles, but "reasoning" in the title is A Good Thing, and the Web site is http://www.LearnX.com.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2007

I'm not familiar with the exam, but here are some examples of Reasoning puzzles; http://www.edhelper.com/logic_puzzles.htm

TG- would you check out the level of difficulty??

I figured they might give you something to start with while you wait for materials you order.

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 5, 2007

Alice, that's a great link! I'll need to check it against the Praxis I Web site, but that won't happen till later.

29. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 5, 2007

I love edhelper!!! I did some freelance work for them last year, and the owner of the site is a great guy! He's so interested in providing quality materials for teachers!

Anyway, on the link I gave you, scroll down to the "3 dimensional" puzzles. There are a bunch there, and I imagine they're close to what you want.

30. Zanadu

Zanadu Companion

Mar 5, 2007

Thanks. I'll check all this stuff out. I didn't think logic was probability but it has been so long. The librarian handing me probability books really confused me.

31. Hopeful-Teacher

Hopeful-Teacher Rookie

Apr 3, 2007

praxis

thanks for all of your responses. I took the Praxis test and passed everything except Math. I missed it by only 4 points. I was upset but hopefully I will pass it next time.
    Elizabeth

32. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2007

That's pretty close, Hopeful-Teacher. Try going to your local big bookstore and rooting through the education section; look for skill review books for kids that cover the material that's giving you grief.

33. teacherwannaB

teacherwannaB Companion

Apr 22, 2007

Saving this!

34. llarena1983

llarena1983 New Member

Apr 25, 2007

I have a question about the alternate route. If anyone can help please feel free. I have a bachelors degree in interior design and thinking of becoming a elementary teacher. Is there a way for me to become a k-3 teacher through the alternate path or would I have to go back to traditional college and take 2 more years?

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 25, 2007

That is, strictly speaking, not a test-taking question per se...

What there is depends on where you are - different states have different routes.