Praxis I: Computer vs Paper?

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by britac11, Mar 6, 2007.

1. britac11

britac11 Rookie

Mar 6, 2007

Hello,

I am registering for the PRAXIS I test to try to get into school, and I am wondering if people have any opinions on taking the test on the computer vs. the paper test? Any pros or cons?

Thanks a ton :)

Brit

3. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 10, 2007

I had a friend do the Praxis on the computer. She told me that when you get a question wrong that the next question would be easier and thus worth less points (I am not sure if this was true).

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

I liked taking the online one. It was easier for me to type up the essay. I can type a lot faste than I can write.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

Computer-adaptive tests as a class take into account what you do: if you ace the first question, you'll get a different second question than if you get it wrong. And, yes, it's true that generally the easier question will count a little less than the harder one (though chances are the difference doesn't amount to all that much). But if you founder on the first question and then sail through the next, the third question will get you back into the realm of the more difficult question, so an early stumble does seem to be recoverable.

6. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Mar 10, 2007

On paper, you can go back and erase and redo. Once you click and save, you move on with the computer one. This can be both a pro and con.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2007

That's true, and that's one of the features of computer adaptive tests that I really, really dislike. Fast shoot-from-the-hip thinking is much less interesting than is good thinking.

8. britac11

britac11 Rookie

Mar 11, 2007

Thanks so much everyone.....I think I am going to end up taking the computer test because I won't have to wait until April to take it.

That is very interesting about how they give you a less difficult question if you miss one!!

9. britac11

britac11 Rookie

Mar 19, 2007

Follow-up!

Hi,

Just wanted to post a follow-up...I took the computer praxis I test today...I found out immediately after taking it that I passed both the reading and math parts (yay!) so now I just have to wait for my writing scores!

Just as a little note...I have been studying with a book and got comfortable marking up the practice test books (crossing off answers that I know are wrong, circling main ideas, etc) and it didnt even cross my mind that I wouldnt be able to do that with the computer test. If I had to take it again, I would take the paper test for that reason alone.

Still, I'm happy its done and will be anxiously awaiting my writing scores :)

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post!

Brit

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 19, 2007

Congratulations so far, britac11!