Praxis Core Math

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Valcie, Mar 21, 2017.

1. Valcie

Valcie New Member

Mar 21, 2017

Has anyone used IXL Math as a study guide for the praxis core?

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Mar 21, 2017

Teachergroupie will be the better advice-giver for the actual test (and probably better advice than mine for tools), but I would actually recommend either using example tests that they publish, or use Khan Academy: the latter has instructional videos alongside practice problems, it has assessments that can determine skills you've mastered already and what you need to brush up on, and it's also free.

You could use IXL, too, but it is limiting without paying, and there's also no instructional videos or assessment tool that helps best determine what you need. How much time do you have before the test?

4. Valcie

Valcie New Member

Mar 21, 2017

I think the assessments would be extremely beneficial to me. But I cannot watch the videos at work. So with IXL, I would be able to study while at work. And it will only cost $10.00 per month for the math. I've seen the stuff at mometrix, but the books cost around $40.00. I have some time to study, bc I haven't scheduled any tests yet.

5. Tim C

Tim C Rookie

Mar 21, 2017

Strongly recommend Lynn Gardner's Praxis Core Math book at mgmtutoring Single best resource for this test, used by universities across the country. I tutor Praxis Core Math and use this as my primary resource. Written by an author who has taken the test 12 times, so the content is dead-on, unlike many other books.

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 22, 2017

If videos are forbidden but websites are all right, try Math is Fun, www.mathsisfun.com.