PRAXIS CORE MATH HELP

Discussion in 'Basic Skills Tests' started by Rose7, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Rose7

Rose7 Rookie

Oct 9, 2017

Hey! I just bought Lynn Gardners praxis core made easy book about 3 weeks ago. After failing the praxis multiply times 136-138-140 during the summer and spending so much time studying and money on getting a tutor, I took the math core praxis three times, going up little by little... I am running out of time because I need to pass this to get my other classes. I studying and I do well on school but I feel like a lot of the questions are NOTHING like what's in all of the books and praxis online practice test. I did research and found this book. So far, I'm on test #7 and I have completed studying the book and practice problems. Any advice or test taking tips to help me go up 10 points? I take the test October 20th! Only one I'm having trouble with.

3. aimeemarie

aimeemarie Rookie

Oct 13, 2017

Hi! I am taking my combined test next week also and used Lynn Gardner's book. I thought it was excellent. I am on Practice Test #8. How are you doing on the practice tests? I bet you will do fine. I am hoping I do okay on the reading and writing. Math is turning out to be my strong point.

4. Rose7

Rose7 Rookie

Oct 13, 2017

I took the praxis test September 7th, and went up only 2 points to a 140 after weeks of studying. After that, I ordered lynns program. When I received the book in the mall, I looked through problems and could identify the kind of problems that I have trouble with on the praxis test. So far, I am becoming quicker and I understand the kind of problems I usually skip. Math is the only one that i have had trouble with in the past. I used REA studybook for praxis core and I felt like I was starting to memorize the questions because I studied it so much. I even bought the praxis online practice test and I felt like what I was preparing for looked nothing like the actual test. I have been studying for 4 weeks, 3 days a week plus reviewing during the weekends. The book is awesome!! I'm a nervous person when it comes to test taking, but I feel like this has given me confidence and has helped me understand that math doesn't have to be so intimidating. I will be reviewing this weekend then taking the test October 20th (Friday). Please keep me in your prayers. When will you be taking it?

5. Rose7

Rose7 Rookie

Oct 13, 2017

When I prepared for the reading, I mainly practiced timing myself and I passed. For writing, I practiced grammar rules and answering questions while being timed, but had to take writing two times this summer. First time I had a 150, second time I went up to a 166. For the essay section, I wrote as much as I could and got to the point of what I was trying to argue. I did not use much time for brain storming and just wrote as much as I could and made my argument. I almost had a perfect essay score! My score went from 11-18 within 21 days! Although i wasn't very strong in the multiple choice section, the essays made up for it. It all depends on what you're strong in! You will do great!

6. aimeemarie

aimeemarie Rookie

Oct 13, 2017

I am taking it on Monday. I am a 33 year old Mom and resource para educator and sub teacher planning to go to grad school to get my certificate. I actually took the Praxis PPST (the earlier and easier version of the CORE) in 2004. I passed but unfortunately I am old and it's been too much time so have to take the CORE. I'll pray for you and you pray for me! I have used the Dummies book and their online resources for all my reading and writing prep and practicing the essays with other prompts I've found. Today I think I am going to purchase the practice tests from ETS and do those for my final review on reading and writing and I have 2 more practice tests from Lynn's book that I can do. I seem to be way under the time limit on everything but the essays-taking the full 30 and even then wish I had more time.

I think I will reread the writing portion of Dummies this weekend as well. Really hope I pass because it is so expensive to retake.

7. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Oct 13, 2017

33 is not old. You are actually in the prime of your life. 40 is when you start getting up there in age. And this coming from a 25-year-old! ;)

8. Rose7

Rose7 Rookie

Oct 13, 2017

You got this!!!! Good luck Monday and I will be praying for you! Let me know how it goes! You will do wonderful!

9. Rose7

Rose7 Rookie

Oct 16, 2017

Thought of you this morning and hope everything went well. How was the test? I didn't pass all the section at first when I took it.

10. aimeemarie

aimeemarie Rookie

Oct 16, 2017

:blush: I passed the reading and math and I think writing went well! I felt like the math test was very similar to Lynn Gardner's practice tests and there wasn't anything I didn't know how to do!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. Rose7

Rose7 Rookie

Oct 16, 2017

Awesome!!! I'm nervous about math.. trying to assure myself that I know everything I need to know from studying the book. If you don't mind me asking, what was your math passing score? Was it right at the passing mark or above? I'm at 140 and I need 150 to pass. I have taken the 1-8 tests and have studied the lessons and the questions that I have missed on the tests. I normally finish the tests before time is up when I'm practicing. I was planning to write my formulas on my sheet of paper during the test, but I'm just not sure how many formulas I should be able to recite and know. Lyn doesn't talk much about surface area formulas. Did they have much on the test? Any advice would be helpful.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  12. Rose7

Rose7 Rookie

Oct 16, 2017

So happy to hear you did wel with reading and math! I'm sure you did excellent on writing!

13. aimeemarie

aimeemarie Rookie

Oct 17, 2017

My score was 198. As for formulas, I wrote every formula that was in Praxis Core for Dummies (volume, surface area and area) on flashcards and have been practicing those for a month or two, along with some other random things I'd found I needed to memorize along the way. Definitely study your missed questions I think that's the best you can do. If you find while you look at those that there are problems you don't know how to do, make a flashcard for it.

14. aimeemarie

aimeemarie Rookie

Oct 20, 2017

How was your test?

15. Rose7

Rose7 Rookie

Oct 21, 2017

PASSED! Went from 140 to 188 in 21 days!!! I was so relaxed and confident! Didn't run out of time at all! Now I can register for my classes for next semester! Next stop is my Content Knowledge. I'm early childhood, but I think I have to take the Elementary Content. I am going to the head of education department at my college to ask her.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  16. aimeemarie

aimeemarie Rookie

Oct 21, 2017

Yeah!!!! This book is the real deal!

17. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Phenom

Oct 21, 2017

Congratulations! Well done.