Praxis Core and Technology Education(5051)

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by DSparksTech, Aug 10, 2015.

1. DSparksTech

DSparksTech New Member

Aug 10, 2015

Hello!
    I have been a lurker here for quite a while. I visited the forums and made use of the resources to help me with my exams. I am happy to say I passed all of them. I want to thank all of the folks who put such time and effort into the forums and helping people like myself pass their exams.

I will be starting my MAT this fall as an alternative certification for Tech Ed in Kentucky.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 10, 2015

Congratulations, DSparksTech!

4. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Aug 13, 2015

That looks like the Industrial and Technology Education CSET test. Just a warning, I passed that and found there are basically no jobs out there requiring that endorsement. If you get lucky and find a shop teacher type job somewhere it is great, but with the exception of maybe robotics, those sort of jobs are long gone from the public schools, or taught part-time at best.

5. DSparksTech

DSparksTech New Member

Aug 13, 2015

Kentucky is riddled with Tech schools and the Technology Praxis exam doesn't just cover industrial arts type courses. In Kentucky it falls under Engineering and Technology as well as Industrial Education. I will be pursuing a career as either an IT/Computers teacher or Computer Science teacher.

6. rocket90

rocket90 New Member

Oct 16, 2015

7. rocket90

rocket90 New Member

Oct 16, 2015

Hi-I am loking for someone that has taken the technology praxis and the business praxis. I need to choose one. I am torn. Leaning towards the business test.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 17, 2015

Try this, then, rocket90: find out how much more you'd have to do to add business to the technology license vs. adding technology to the business license. It should be about the same amount of work, if you're already eligible for either one once you've got its Praxis passed. At that point, flip a coin: do one, and add the other as soon as is reasonable.

9. TechEd252

TechEd252 New Member

Jan 12, 2016

Greetings to You All,

I have taken the Praxis Exam 2 times (Technology Education 5051). I am needing to know some resources that will help me pass the exam.

Thanks,

rdm

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2016

Without knowing lots more about your background in technology education, it's hard to give a recommendation that means much. With that said, you might find it useful to rummage through your state department of education Web site looking for the content standards document in technology education (it may be called "career and technology education". If you already know all about technology, the subject matter in the content standards may be old hat to you, but the terminology that teachers use to talk about it may be less familiar - and is fairly likely to be part of what's tripping you up. Any term that you don't know cold, you can look up on the Internet.

If you can't find your own state's CTE content standards, check the Web sites of the surrounding states, even if their subject-matter teacher tests aren't Praxis.

The Test Companion for 5051 can also serve as a source for terms to look up online.

11. TechEd252

TechEd252 New Member

Jan 12, 2016

I've been teaching for two years and in the IT industry for 6 years. I bought a study guide from Amazon, but it wasn't of much help. So I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Have you taken the exam?

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 12, 2016

Off-the-shelf study guides for less common exams often aren't very helpful. You're far from the first person I've advised to "roll your own".

How good are you generally as a taker of multiple choice tests?

I see that 5051 is strictly multiple choice and has six domains or subject areas that it tests:

i. Technology and society
    ii. Engineering/technical design and problem solving
    iii. Energy, power, and transportation
    iv. Information and communication technologies
    v. Manufacturing and construction technologies
    vi. Pedagogical and professional studies

In which of these are you coming up short according to your score reports? And how close are you coming to passing overall?

13. TechEd252

TechEd252 New Member

Jan 13, 2016

Im pretty good at taking Multiple Choice exams, especially if I can recall the information. As it relates to the test, I believe that "Energy, Power and Transportation" was the section I didn't do so well on. I was about 25 points from passing. What would you recommend? Have you taken the exam?

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2016

CTE exams test an unusually diverse array of competencies - from hacksaws to hacking, so to speak - so there's no shame in not excelling in all of them. The scoring scale on 5051, as with most Praxis tests or subtests, runs from 100 to 200, and according to http://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/passing_scores.pdf, passing scores range from 154 to 170 with the majority of passing scores at 159. On a scale that allows 100 scaled points (200 total minus 100 minimum), 25 points is a fairly large shortfall, and this tells me that your performance in other domains could also stand to improve: the breakdown by domains in each of your score reports is probably showing scores at or below the median in at least one other domain as well.

On every teacher test or subtest with which I'm acquainted, one passes on the basis of acquiring enough points overall: that is, doing badly on one domain isn't necessarily an impediment provided one scores enough points on the others. It follows logically that improving on one's strengths can be as important to passing as is shoring up one's weaknesses.

One likely possibility is that you know the content but not in the language that the test expects. (It's fairly common that educators develop terminology that industry insiders don't use.) I just Googled "glossary career technology education" and found a number of pdfs from various states that you might find useful. Any term that shows up in multiple states is one you should know and be able to use in a sentence. In addition, you might do well to look up the national, regional, and state organizations for teachers of CTE; Web sites for these organizations have resources that you might find useful, including lesson plans. You can also Google lesson plans by topic: "lesson plan technology transportation", for example.

No, I haven't taken or taught this exam.

15. TechEd252

TechEd252 New Member

Jan 13, 2016

Okay. So I need to double-check my scoring rubric.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 13, 2016

Or just cut to the chase and start working through the freebies, mining Praxis's free Test Companion (or Study Companion, or whatever it's being called this year) and your state's relevant content standards for terms that tech teachers are apparently supposed to use, then looking them up online. Wikipedia is your friend here.

17. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Jun 6, 2016