Praxis bio 5235 score

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by RSA1984, Jan 7, 2016.

1. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Jan 7, 2016

hi all,

I just left my exam. At the end a score came up and it read "total score:170"

Is that raw or scaled? I'm confused

Does the raw score start at 0?

There was a total of 150 questions, all multiple choice and no written portion, if anyone can help make sense of this.

Just wish it said "scaled score" or at least "raw score" and not "total score"

Also, there weren't any matching questions, but a few questions entailed, for example, "which three take part in this," so I would have to select 3 out of the 4 choices. Are these questions worth more than 1 raw point, or is it an all or nothing thing?

Thanks for your responses

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2016

If a test is multiple choice only, the raw score is one point per correct answer. You've said the test has had 150 questions; it's probable (and the Test Companion doc on the Praxis Web site will indicate whether it's likely) that some of those questions are subtracted from that total because they're being field-tested for use in future tests. In any case, the maximum raw score is 150 at most and probably less.

I surmise, therefore, that your 170 is an unofficial scaled score. Praxis scaled scores run from 100 to 200, and the point of them is to try to guarantee that everyone's scaled score of 170 represents the same level of achievement even if one edition/version/form of 5235 should happen to contain questions that are either more or less difficult than the questions on some other edition of 5235.

4. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Jan 7, 2016

Thanks for your response, TeacherGroupie. I've been coming back all day waiting for someone to get back to me.

The only reason I was a bit nervous was because my raw score or number of questions I got correct out of 150 was around 90. Plus/minus.

So when I saw the "total score: 170" I said to myself, "That seems too high for the amount of questions my raw score is telling me." Basically the screen appeared as the total score up top and then my raw score for each respective section below. Is it still possible to achieve a score of 170 if, say, I got 90/150? I'm guessing a decent amount of questions didn't actually count and also, perhaps, I may have received a 'more difficult' version of the exam???

I needed a minimum of 157 to meet Rhode Island's passing score. Is there any chance my total of 170 could dip below that once I received my official report?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2016

The Test Companion doc indicates that 5235 can indeed include questions that aren't counted either for or against the test taker - and it's generally the case that if a test can, it does. Given a 150-question test, I'd guess that 10% or so of questions don't count. That moves you from 90-ish out of 150 to 90-ish out of 140 or less - and I'm fairly certain that most teacher tests can still be passed with 2/3 to 3/4 of questions correct.

I'd be very surprised if you get a lower official score than 170.

6. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Jan 30, 2016

Just wanted to give 1 final update to this thread and also shed some information for those taking this exam somewhere down the line.

I received my final score report today (1/30/16) after having taken the exam on 1/7/16.

The exam contained 150 multiple choice/selective response questions...some questions were tailored along the lines of "Which 3 of the 4 choices would best characterize this" for example...these questions are all or nothing in terms of their points...no partial credit...only a few questions (less than 10) appeared on the exam in this set up...the rest were your standard MC/SR set up...1 correct answer.

The exam did NOT contain any essays/written section.

As far as scoring is concerned, my breakdown is as follows, to give you an idea of how you MAY need to score to receive a particular scaled score...however, remember, every test is different in how it is scored/graded...just take this as a very rough estimate.

Nature of Science: Sci. Inquiry, Methodology, Techniques & History
    Raw points earned: 9
    Raw points available: 17

Molecular & Cellular Biology
    Raw points earned: 17
    Raw points available: 23

Genetics & Evolution
    Raw points earned: 18
    Raw points available: 24

Diversity of Life: Organismal Biology
    Raw points earned: 18
    Raw points available: 23

Ecology
    Raw points earned: 13
    Raw points available: 19

Science: Technology & Social Perspectives:
    Raw points earned: 8
    Raw points available: 12

Total raw points earned: 83
    Total raw points available: 118
    83/118 = 70.3%

This means that 32 questions on the exam were field test questions or basically did not count. Whether I got them right or wrong, they did not count.

In the end, my scaled score was in fact 170 (needed a minimum of 157). As stated above, at the end of my exam, I saw a screen that read "Total Score: 170" and then underneath, just gave me the total number of questions I had earned credit for each section...it did not tell me that I had received credit for 18/23...it just said 18.

As far as preparing for the exam was concerned: I had a couple of different methods.

1) I purchased the study guide from Mometrix Media.
    The study guide is NOT meant to teach you everything clear cut; however, it is meant to give you a path or a road to follow. Biology is very, very broad. This is meant to give you some guidance.
    Some topics in this guide are good as is. For example many of the terms for the area of genetics and evolution were fine just to take from this guide. The guide gave you a basic definition and example and that was it. As far as more complex mechanisms such as, say, DNA replication, I did go online and use YouTube (Biology Crash Course, Bozeman Science) to take the topic a bit more in depth. Some topics are a bit light in the guide. Again, this study guide is meant to give you a road map with some meat and potatoes in it. It is up to you to dive deeper into any material that you feel you should.

2) I purchased an exam or two from ExamEdge. It helped a little bit, but I wouldn't go crazy for it. It basically was another test to take to gauge my knowledge, that's all. Some of the content was good, some just seemed random and unnecessary.

3) Purchased the practice exam from ETS. This was very good, but I found it easier than the actual exam. I will not say the actual exam was far more difficult, but the practice exam seemed a bit easier. It is good to use in the fact it covers content that you will most likely see on your exam and also it is directly from the source (ETS)...what's better than that? I also had the ETS study guide just to use their practice test as well. The test in the study guide is only 75 questions.

4) Lastly, and this was probably one of my biggest things. I basically re-took high school biology for the first semester of this academic year. I work nights and I know a high school biology teacher who was very, very, very kind enough to let me sit in on his Biology lectures this year.
    I'm 31 years old, so to say that I wasn't feeling awkward the first week of class sitting in biology with a bunch of 15, 16, 17 year old kids would be an understatement, but after a while it wore off and the kids didn't even notice I was there anymore. I basically went every single day, whether the class was in the morning or the afternoon, and learned biology all over again. The class obviously did not cover every single thing that the ETS exam entails (the school year is also only 1/2 over), but the class was beneficial in the fact that it helped me re-learn some concepts and 2) it basically helped my brain get back into the groove of learning and studying, etc...it got the wheels turning. The teacher was great, included me in class topics, and even went as far as graded my exams/quizzes/homework. I was basically a real student, even though I wasn't a real student. So, I am thankful that this man helped me out a great deal. I've known him for a number of years, it truly meant a lot to me. The class was also CP level. I did sit in on a few AP & Honors level lectures with some of his co-workers, but the bulk of my learning material came only from the CP level.

I would recommend that if you can audit or somehow take a class, whether at the high school level or the college level in your content area, do it. If you have the time/can fit it in then do it.
    It truly helped me. It was live action learning, I had real time access to the teacher...100.

I was planning on taking the exam around June, but after studying since September (especially during the last month leading up to the exam), attending the 1st semester classes, parking my butt at Panera Bread on Saturday afternoons, I had a gut feeling to just try it and see what happens. I am definitely glad it paid off. Also, I stopped going to the high school class. Working nights and then having to wake up at 6:30 AM to attend a class at 7:30 some mornings was rough. Thank God it's over. I mean, could I have done better? Yes, I'm sure I could have. I know a 170 isn't bad at all, but it isn't ROE or whatever it is. However, as another bio teacher I know said, "The biggest thing is just to pass it. I could've done so much better on mine, but in the end, I was just glad I passed. I didn't care about getting some award or whatever." Again, I'm just glad it is over, as far as biology is concerned. I still have a little ways to go, but I definitely cleared a big hurdle.

I hope this post can be used to help some other people in this content area. The exam isn't impossible...remember that. You can pass it. You just need to put the time in. You don't have to attend a class like I did, but just study. If you study and take the time to dissect various topics, you will be fine.

Lastly, I want to thank this forum. I mostly lurk around here, but it has truly been a wealth of information on so many levels. Keep up the great work.

Thank you

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    Hobbes likes this.
  7. Christine Betley

Christine Betley New Member

Mar 19, 2016

Thanks for the very informative post! I just took Biology 5235, today. Unfortunately, I don't think I did so well. At the end of test, it said "NS" for the total score, but I tallied my raw scores in each section and it only came out to 80/150.

In MD, 150 is the cut-off, but even that low I can't imagine passing with just over 50% correct. Fortunately, it's not for my license. I teach middle school math, but a passing score in a secondary science content area is required for my masters in STEM.

My advisor told me to take BIO, based on my undergrad transcript, but I wonder if any of the other contents would be easier for me. My study materials (CliffNotes and ETSs interactive practice test) really led me to believe this test was easier than it turned out to be.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 20, 2016

Welcome to A to Z, Christine. The "NS" just means that you seem to have taken a new version of 5235, one for which Praxis hasn't yet fully settled the raw-score-to-scaled-score mapping.

RSA1984 reports having passed 5235 with a scaled score of 170, having gotten 90 questions correct. RSA1984 also tells us that 32 of the questions on 5235 are non-scoring. That means those questions don't count against you (but they also don't count for you). I don't absolutely KNOW that an NS raw score excludes the nonscoring questions that a test taker got right, but I think that's the case: if so, then you're not looking at slightly over 50% correct, you're looking at closer to 70% correct. Test takers have certainly passed in that range. In short, if RSA's 90 raw came out to 170 scaled, I don't think it's impossible that your 80 raw might come out to 150 scaled.

Breathe, please, and let us know what your official score report says when it arrives.

9. Christine Betley

Mar 20, 2016

Thanks for the welcome, TeacherGroupie! And the reply. I will definitely update when I get my score report. I appreciate your hopeful perspective, and your explaining what the "NS" means.

10. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Mar 22, 2016

I'm glad my original post could be of help to you, Christine. I posted it for that very reason. If you scored 80 raw points on your exam, I am sure you did enough to pass. Your exam will almost definitely include those questions which do not count for/against you. I was definitely surprised when I received my scores that I had 32 field test Qs...but if it happened with my exam, it can most definitely happen with yours.

Just try to relax for the time being. Look at it like this: It's done. There's nothing you can do about it now, as it's out of your hands. Just sit back and wait for the scores. And lastly, if you got a raw score of 80, you DO have a shot at passing the exam, and a decent one I would say. Just try to think about it in those terms. If you had scored, say, a 50 or a 60, then I would be a little more worried. I think you should be OK. Again, please let us know what happens.

11. Christine Betley

Apr 3, 2016

Score came into today, I passed! My scaled score ended up 167. My raw score indicates 30 of my questions were not included. My total raw score was 80/120, so I guess the raw correct at the end of my test didn't include answers for the 30 questions that were omitted. The reports is pretty interesting and I'm not sure I fully understand it. Maybe the test I took was on the high end of difficulty, but even with my (imo poor) accuracy I was near or above the high end of the "average performance range" for most categories. Thanks again for the advice!

12. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Apr 3, 2016

Congrats, Christine!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 3, 2016

Congratulations!

14. MelReb

MelReb New Member

Apr 30, 2016

I found this site helpful when I was trying to figure out the conversion from raw to scaled scores, so I am sharing my scores. I have a license for high school English and took the Social Studies (5081) and the Elementary Ed Content Knowledge (5018) on April 4 in order to expand my options. I am in Mississippi.
    Social Studies: Raw: 79 out of 120. Scaled: 167. Passing: 150. *I got the scaled score day of test.
    El Ed Content: Raw: 99 out of 120. Scaled: 185. Passing 163.
    I bought the practice tests from the Praxis website and practiced both tests online. The books I used were Praxis Core for Dummies, which came with online tests, and Praxis II Elementary Education by Test Prep Books. These books were about $15 each on Amazon.
    Thoughts:
    I am older and have a lot of common knowledge. I am a good test taker. Being able to eliminate wrong answers is just as important as knowing the right answer.
    If a question is on every single practice test you take, it will probably be on the real test. (Area of a cone, anyone?)
    I took about three online practice tests and about two paper tests. When I was done, I made note cards on what I thought my weaknesses were and studied those facts and formulas. I have to write something down for it to stay in my brain.
    I hate taking tests like this becasue of all the pressure. Fortunately, I am a good test taker, so I sucked it up and took two tests in one day to get it over with.
    Best of luck to everyone.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 30, 2016

Congratulations, MelReb, and thanks for sharing!

Some multiple choice/selected response questions test for simple knowledge of a fact or definition, but most don't: the test taker needs to juggle and reconcile several simpler concepts in order to reason out the correct answer (which is sometimes simply the least INcorrect answer).

16. MelReb

MelReb New Member

Apr 30, 2016

Very true.

17. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 30, 2016

(I hope it was clear, MelReb, that I wasn't assessing your process, but rather elaborating on it for others reading this thread.)

18. Jnmcbride13

Jnmcbride13 New Member

Jul 16, 2016

I'm months late lol but I just took my test this month. At then end it didn't indicate PASSING or NOT PASSING but it gave a score of 136! I studied and studied for months and I really thought I did great. The test was SUPER hard, and half the stuff I've never seen before Any advice about the test, how to study,etc that you can give would be really appreciated?

19. RSA1984

RSA1984 Rookie

Jul 17, 2016

Hi jnmcbride,

I am sorry to hear about your results. When you receive your score report in a few weeks, it should indicate how you performed on each section of the 5235. Those weakest areas I would definitely focus on when preparing for your second go around.

As far as how to study...that's basically subject to what works best for you. I personally used a guide from Mometrix, which can be found here: https://www.amazon.com/Praxis-II-Bi...68802751&sr=1-2&keywords=mometrix+praxis+5235

A lot of people say this book is "light" on its material, and it is true; however, it gives you a bit of a path to follow. It is up to you to dig deeper for more information. Whenever I wanted to know more about something, I would simply go on YouTube and find a video about it. I highly recommend watching videos from Crash Course Biology (a guy named Hank Green hosts them) and also videos from Bozeman Science (a guy who calls himself "Mr. Anderson" hosts these). They are very easy to understand and break a lot of concepts down in an easy to understand manner. For example, when Hank Green is talking about the various methods of movement of substances in and out of the cell, he gives the analogy of people waiting in line to get into a night club. You can take some of the information this book gives you at face value and quickly move on. For example, don't sit and waste hours studying the scientific method. Just know what it is and move on. However, when I reached topics such as mitosis and meiosis, I knew the book was light on its information, so I went online and watched some videos. I also created my own sort of test questions. For example, "Describe the Miller-Urey experiments" or "Contrast monocots and dicots." I probably had about 10 pages of questions typed up by the time I was done studying.

That's basically all I did. I didn't have a college bio textbook; I honestly had a CP Bio high school text. This worked for me and I hope it can work for you. Obviously, I cannot guarantee anything, but I wish you the best of luck.

In my original post I did mention I was able to sit in on high school bio lectures. I am acquainted with a high school teacher and he was more than kind to let me sit in on his lessons whenever I had time. I was in class with a bunch of 15-16 year olds, learning biology along with them. This was probably a bit much on my part, but it was nice to have someone teach me various bio topics all over again. Also, he would allow me to take his quizzes/tests and even went as far as grading them. Again, you don't have to do this, so don't get nervous or anything. This was something I chose to do.

20. appyreeves

appyreeves Rookie

Jul 25, 2016

Thank you for this update! I took the Biology Content and it showed a 151 as my score then showed all the stuff below it, so I did panic. Seeing though as you had the same screen I did I guess I can assume that I did get a 151, scores do not post until Saturday after 5....

21. Diana24

Diana24 New Member

Aug 28, 2020

I know this is an old thread, but I hope the info is relevant! It made me feel a lot better. I just finished the Bio exam and got a "NS." Adding up the raw scores from each section, I got 79/150. This isn't fantastic, but based on what everyone is saying, it's likely I will be above the 149 threshold I need. I've been using the Magoosh method of finding your raw score (take your percentage and add 100). In that case, my unofficial raw score would be 153 even if I had 0 field questions. Not sure if anyone is reading this thread anymore, but it helped settle my nerves. Am I giving myself false hope?

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2020

Welcome to A to Z, Diana24!

I'm not recalling the statistics on this exam offhand. But let me note that if the official Study Companion (or whatever ETS is calling it these days) states that the test consists of 150 questions, and if the Study Companion also states that not all questions may count toward the final score, it's pretty well guaranteed that some questions won't count: thus the actual denominator of your raw-score-to-total-questions ratio above isn't going to be 150; it could be as low as 120. The numerator would still be 79, because the raw score that Praxis gives always deducts the non-scoring questions.

I'm preternaturally cautious about predicting a passing score - but from here, your chances look pretty good. Keep us in the loop, please.

23. Diana24

Diana24 New Member

Sep 11, 2020

I passed! I need a 149 and ended up with a 167. It turns out that only 118 questions were counted, which definitely helped my raw score of 79. So glad I found this forum! Hope this can help someone else as well!

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 15, 2020

Well done, Diana24!

25. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 5, 2020

I had the same thing happen to me recently. I took the Praxis-at-Home, and I guess those are taking longer to come back. Same as you though, 79/118, final score 167 (although I needed a 155, so I cut it a little closer!).

Anybody taking the Praxis-at-Home should be warned that the results may take a bit of time to come back. I took the Bio test on August 14, but didn't get my results until September 11.