Praxis anxiety - please help!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by hopetoteach, Aug 6, 2006.

1. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Hi everyone, I am currently in a graduate teacher prep program and I took the Praxis Elementary Content for the first time yesterday. I am so stressed. I don't want to take it again.

Does anyone know how this thing is scored? I think I read on our state website that we need 140 to pass. How does this work with a 120 question test?

Two of my cohort members took the test, thought they failed and ended up passing. I am hoping this is a trend :confused: ???

I was breezing through the Language Arts and Math and then when I got into the SS, I started to have trouble. Same with Science.

I've heard that doing well on some sections can help you if you don't do as well on others?

I did study for the SS (knew this would be my weak point as I have been out of school in corporate America for so long), but I really don't think it helped.

I'm really depressed. Thanks for any experience you can share?

3. ilovemyjob27

ilovemyjob27 Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

Hello I can totally understand where you are coming from. I took that test about a year ago. I was very anxious about it. I was sure that I failed it. We had to make a 150 in our state so that was even harder. I felt like the SS was the hardest part as well. I was sure that I failed,but I passed the first time. I left in tears!!If you took the time to prepare and study, I know you passed. I'm not sure how they score the test, but I heard that some of the questions are worth more points than others. I think it is out of a possible 200 points. Just don't do what I did and freak out over worrying about it all month waiting for your scores. It made me sick. Basically what I am trying to tell you is that it is normal to feel the way you do, but try to relax. GoodLuck!!! Keep your faith high!!

4. hopetoteach

hopetoteach Rookie

Aug 6, 2006

THANK YOU!!!

Thank you so much for you words of encouragement!! You have no idea how much it helped. It was the weirdest test. I studied for the SS and it seemed like the questions were so random.

Again, I really appreciate your response!!!!