Praxis 5203 Feedback

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by Tnteacher2, Jun 2, 2018.

1. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

Hey Everyone! New to the forum, but decided I would post some feedback on the Praxis 5203 Teaching Reading to Elementary Students. I took this test on May 1 and today received my passing score of a 195! I can hardly believe it! I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that this could only be by God's grace! In the first ten minutes of testing, I had very little hope of passing it! Physically, I was fighting off a cold, had barely slept, and had pain in my right lung. The funny thing is I expected I would score the lowest on the writing portion but on my score report I got 18 out of 18 on it! Definitely God! I used every minute of this test. Prior to the test, I searched the internet looking for reviews, pass/fail, all the usual indicators of what to expect walking into this test, but there is pretty much nothing to report. This test had very very, very, VERY, little information out there and next to non-existent data points.

I tried to attach a picture of my score report to give an idea on the grading of this test. But couldn't get it to work so I will write it out here:

TEST CATEGORY RAW POINTS AVERAGE PERFORMANCE RANGE

I.ASSESSMENT AND DIAGNOSTIC TEACHING OF READING 18 OUT OF 19 13-16

II.READING DEVELOPMENT 32 OUT OF 39 25-30

III.WRITING IN SUPPORT OF READING 17 OUT OF 20 12-16

CONSTRUCTED RESPONSE (3 ESSAYS) 18 OUT OF 18 11-15

On this test, there are three constructed essays which count for 6 points a piece for a total of 18. I do not think every selected response question counts for one point, but I tallied the total possible points (excluding the essay questions) as 78. Excluding the essays, I got a total raw score of 67 The total selected response questions are 90. In typical exams, there are questions that are not counted toward your score, but if each SR question counted as one point then there would be a total of 22 not counted? That sounds very high? Maybe someone else could explain it?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  3. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

For this test, I purchased the Cliff Notes Praxis 5203, but after taking the test I am glad I did not rely solely on it! It is good for giving you direction in your study (that's about it), but the practice tests where very good. I would say that the essay portion on them resembled the actual test better than the ETS practice test I bought.

Here is what I was scoring on my practice tests leading up to test day:

CLIFF NOTES PRACTICE TEST 1 & 2 MASSACHUSETTS PRACTICE TEST
    81,83, 87, 92 81,86

ETS PRACTICE TEST

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  4. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Jun 2, 2018

I will list the resources I used to study, but I must say that I did not feel overly confident in the test (maybe due to physical factors???) Here are a few areas that I would recommend having down for the test as they appeared quite frequently.

Please note this is not an exhaustive list!
    5 Components of Reading
    Phonemic Awareness- What it is, How to assess it, Why does it predict future reading success?
    Phonological Awareness
    Promoting Oral Language Development
    Promoting Listening Skills
    Strategies for activating Background Knowledge
    Methods to increase Vocabulary
    Teaching kids how to research in writing and reading
    Emergent Reader

Know what the following are, Strategies to Teach them, and Informal and Formal ways to assess them:
    Meta-cognition
    Structural Analysis
    Word Analysis Skills-Decoding, Chunking, Analogy...
    Fluency
    Reading Comprehension Skills -Pre-reading, Post-reading,
    Writing in support of reading

Know the following activities and how to use them:
    List-Group-Label, Directed-Thinking and Reading Activity, Semantic Maps, Concept-Maps, Story Maps, Word Sorts, Jigsaw, Question and Answer Relationship, Choral Reading, Shared Reading, Readers Theater, Word Maps, Book Walk, and Word Walls

Know the following assessments:
    Informal Reading Inventory, Running Record, Woodcock Reading Assessment

I have tried to post the free online resources I used to study for this test but can't seem to get them to post but if you message me I will try to get them to you.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  5. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 2, 2018

You've listed lots of good resources. I believe the assessment you refer to above is the Woodcock Reading Assessment.

Tnteacher2 likes this.
  6. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Jun 4, 2018

Thank you Been There! Typo;). Corrected it!

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2018

Here are the links, with Tnteacher's comments:

Helpful Resources for Praxis 5203

www.readingrockets.org -best website on my list!

https://lincs.ed.gov/publications/pdf/ap...search.pdf -This one I would recommend as a guide to helping you study as it very easy to follow and to the point!

https://lincs.ed.gov/readingprofiles/MC_...g_Rate.htm -While this website is geared towards teaching adult readers, it does a good job explaining the big 5 concepts of reading. However, do note that there are some difference (e.g vocab development not as necessary in teaching adults but highly important for kids who typically start school with roughly 5,000 words or less). I found it to be well organized and one of the more informative resources of all I have listed.

http://www.mtel.nesinc.com/content/Docs/...E_TEST.pdf

https://www.scribd.com/doc/23630513/Read...ICA-Essays -while this is a completely different test, I used it for practice on writing the essays.

https://www.youtube.com/user/chrisboosalis- This fellow had easy to follow movies that help break down the reading process

https://quizlet.com/257094101/praxis-5203-flash-cards/
    https://www.education.com/reference/arti...g-reading/
    https://www.understood.org/en/learning-a...w-it-works
    https://learningattheprimarypond.com/blo...g-records/

futuremathsprof and Tnteacher2 like this.
  8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 6, 2018

I'll point out that, like Praxis 5203, MTEL 90 and RICA are both reading-instruction methodology exams for teachers. In fact, it's time for this thread to move out of the Single Subject Tests subforum, which is oriented to tests of what teachers know about their subject matter, to the Other Threads subforum, in which are covered various reading-instruction tests plus assorted tests of pedagogy and teaching practice.

Tnteacher2 likes this.
  9. SJM9215

SJM9215 Rookie

Jun 30, 2018

WOW! Congrats on passing! That is a really high score!
    I am also in TN and this is the last test that I need to pass. I passed the other three (5017, 5018, and 5622) on the first try. I used the Cirrus Test Prep books from Amazon for all three and the ETS practice exams for 5018.

I am taking this test on July 3 and not feeling very confident due to the lack of study materials I have found thus far. However, I am now grateful that I decided to check these forums one last time before the test. So far, I have only been using the study companion and practice test through the ETS website along with quizlet flashcards. I am going to look into the resources that you have provided and hope that I can at least get a 162!

So, thank you tnteacher2!

futuremathsprof and Tnteacher2 like this.
  10. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Jul 2, 2018

Thank you so much SJM9215 and congrats on your other Praxis tests! I pray that tomorrow you will get that passing score!!! LOL! It's that last praxis that we all fret the most on but we are so done already! Please, Please, Please! post back on the forum when your score report comes in and any feedback you can give on study resources and tips for this test. When I took it, there was literally nothing to go on in the way of resources or even scores to give an idea of what to expect as far as difficulty.

Praying for a passing score!

11. SJM9215

SJM9215 Rookie

Aug 5, 2018

I got my scores in on Friday. I passed! I scored 176.
    Thanks again for posting some more study materials! Im so glad to be done with all these tests. Im another step closer to being done! I start my student teaching experience tomorrow!

Tnteacher2 and futuremathsprof like this.
  12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 5, 2018

Congratulations, SJM9215!

futuremathsprof likes this.
  13. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 6, 2018

Clngratulations SJM9215! You deserve it for all your hard work! :celebrate:

14. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Aug 18, 2018

Congratulations SJM9215 and all the best on your student teaching! I am on the fourth week of mine now.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  15. 2nd

2nd New Member

Jan 19, 2019

TNTeacher2, I want to thank you for your insightful comment about the Praxis 5203. I am renewing my license after it expired 15 years ago and never would have passed without the recommendations you posted. Thank you!

Tnteacher2 and futuremathsprof like this.
  16. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Jan 26, 2019

You are so welcome 2nd! I am glad to hear you passed! Please feel free to post any helpful tips or study resources you used for the Praxis 5203 on this thread!

17. JBrand29

JBrand29 Rookie

Feb 6, 2019

Since you are Tennessee teachers, I have a question. I am moving from California to Tennessee. I have completed my credential classes and student teaching, but I am missing one test that I haven't passed in California so I do not have a credential (license). I just figured I've got to take tests in Tennessee so I may as well just take the tests in Tennessee. I understand I need to take 5018 and 5203, is that all?

18. lauraharke

lauraharke New Member

Mar 10, 2019

It depends on what you want your license in, but I think you also need to take 5622.

19. Sydney R Moore

Sydney R Moore New Member

Mar 14, 2019

This post has been so helpful! I have been studying all of these terms! Did you take the other Praxis Elementary Education exams as well?

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2019

In addition to studying the terms, make a point of using them. If while going through everyday life you see something that could be used in or as a reading strategy, describe it to yourself that way with the appropriate technical reading-instruction terminology. You could also approach a set of practice or sample questions this way: if the question stem gives a scenario, you label it, or if the question stem gives technical terms, you come up with a plausible short scenario to which all the terms apply; do the same for each of the possible answers. Oh, and don't just depend on someone else's justification for the answer: write your own.

Tnteacher2 likes this.
  21. Sydney R Moore

Sydney R Moore New Member

Mar 14, 2019

Great advice, I appreciate it! I did this so much in college but its been a bit, and I need to get back in that mind set. I've done a couple free (short) practice tests, do you recommend buying the longer praxis one? Wondering if you took it, and if so, if it was helpful! Also reading rockets has been the BEST resource!

Tnteacher2 likes this.
  22. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

Mar 23, 2019

I did not take the elementary ed praxis as I was going for a middle school math cert. This test was required in order to get my license! So glad this thread has helped! Thanks for the additional input Teacher Groupie!

23. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 24, 2019

You're most welcome, Tnteacher2.

24. FutureTNTeacher423

FutureTNTeacher423 New Member

May 3, 2019

Hi!! I take the 5203 tomorrow, just trying to find material to continue my studies, and ran across this forum! I am extremely nervous, as I did not pass my Content Area Praxis last month...by 2 points! ‍♀️ I needed a 163 and got a 161! So since I have heard this one is the hardest of all of them (I’ve passed all the others), I am not having a lot of confidence since I did not pass the content! I see the study materials posted throughout this feed and was wondering if you or others could tell me which websites helped you the best now that y’all have taken the test! My test is at 3 tomorrow so I will be cramming the rest of tonight and tomorrow morning! Thank y’all so much!!
    FutureTNTeacher423 aka Stressed College Student Who Is Bad At Taking Test

25. Tnteacher2

Tnteacher2 Rookie

May 3, 2019

Do your best and don't stress!!! For me the readingrockets.org was the best website! Pray you pass! Let us know how you do and what resources you have used to study for this test!

FutureTNTeacher423 likes this.