Praxis 5081 Social Studies Content Knowledge Exam Question

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by DRuggles, May 15, 2015.

1. MiniKobold

MiniKobold Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

I called Praxis and they said test scores should be available after 5PM on August 8.

2. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Well you definitly passed with a score of 105/130. If you look at other scores on this board people have been passing with scores in the mid 70's. For you it is just about making it official.

PS - August 8 is a Saturday so I imagine they meant August 7 after 5pm.

3. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

August 8 sounds like an eternity away! I think you are both very safe so say all your prayers for my lil 76 raw score lol

4. teacherman013

teacherman013 New Member

Jul 28, 2015

Geography was definitely tough, some questions you either know or don't; no chance of really eliminating any answers

Econ was the toughest for me, all those charts and systems messed me up

5. MiniKobold

MiniKobold Rookie

Jul 31, 2015

It is an eternity away... I need to stop checking the Praxis website every chance I have. Ugh... waiting for scores is dreadful. :(

6. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Aug 1, 2015

I check it every day too lol

7. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

anyone know if we get an email when the scores are in? I'm hoping on Friday they be will in. I've heard some people say August 8 after 5pm but not sure why they would be posted on a Saturday.

I'm very impatient as you can tell. This board should have a section dedicted solely to people posting their raw and passing scores to seem if there is a general avg. of what scores pass. would make me less stressed :)

8. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Aug 4, 2015

from past experience they do email you the day they post them. Seems like the test I checked and seen my score and they didn't email me until later that day. Also they had had told me it would be Friday and they ended up posting them a few days early on that particular test. I do wish they would hurry up already. :D

9. MiniKobold

MiniKobold Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

I called again and they said August 8 after 5PM. :eek: I asked about it being a Saturday, but they said that they still give tests on Saturdays so scores can be reported on Saturdays. :| Still hoping that the scores are released earlier. I'm so impatient so I'll continue to check everyday.

10. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

that's odd because the testing window for this particular test (5081) was 7/13/15–7/25/15.

http://www.ets.org/praxis/register/centers_dates

can't imagine someone is taking this same test on 8/8 if the window closed on 7/25.

11. MiniKobold

MiniKobold Rookie

Aug 5, 2015

You're misunderstanding me. They said that test scores can be revealed on Saturday as the company is still open on Saturdays. Not that the specific test we are taking is being offered, simply that the company is still running as a whole.

12. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Aug 7, 2015

well I have to take it again. I scored a 157 with raw score of 76. I needed a 159. how did yall do?

13. keekee

keekee Rookie

Aug 7, 2015

Sorry to here that Amy. But you're not far off

14. MiniKobold

MiniKobold Rookie

Aug 7, 2015

Sorry to hear that. :(

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 7, 2015

Hugs, amy.

16. teacherman013

teacherman013 New Member

Aug 7, 2015

Got a 160 with a raw score of 79

17. You're_History

You're_History New Member

Aug 9, 2015

One More Data Point

Thanks for aggregating.

I had 101 on the Social Studies and that got me 189 scaled (E).

Also check out MiniKobold who reported his / her scores, too.

18. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Aug 10, 2015

got a 171 with a raw score of 88. Really glad I passed as I wasn't hopefully immediately upon finish the exam. Didn't realize how they scale scores.

19. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Aug 10, 2015

Amy, sorry to hear you didn't pass. I used all the REA AP crash course books to study (Amazon them). Both the US history and govt. were great. As was the world history. Very quick read. I did really well on govt. and only used the REA book for that.

Also, I bought the 'No Bull Review' books off amazon (Actually for my kindle). The govt, us and world history one's were really straight to the point. It is set up up in a question and answer format. Very cheap and well worth the purchase.

I didn't study for geography...or behavioral science so I bombed those but made up for it with the history and govt.

For behavioral science though try sparknotes.com. I reviewed that website after taking the test and several test questions I would've gotten right probably if I knew of sparknotes a head of time.

Shoot me a private msg. if you have any specific questions or have trouble finding those books. The REA books were a live saver for me. History gets bogged down with LOTS of details but this book got straight to the point.

Best of luck!

20. Pmlanni1277

Pmlanni1277 New Member

Feb 16, 2016

I see that this forum has been inactive for a few months, just wondering if anyone can give me some hints for studying. I plan on going with some of the listed materials here, just wanted to know if anyone has some "must gets"

I had my teaching cert and wasn't using it but obviously kept renewing. I let it lapse mistakingly for about a month and now have to take the Praxis in order to renew. I was just starting to think about teaching again, so this will be a good refresher…..at least that's what I keep telling myself!!!

21. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Feb 16, 2016

"This will be a good refresher" is a very good attitude. It sounds like you had the background at some point: you could probably just go with a combination of the free Study Companion, your state's content standards in social studies, and judicious use of Wikipedia to roll your own study guide. I might recommend, as an additional resource that will also help in your future classroom, one of the heftier historical atlases; DK's Atlas of World History is quite nice.

22. Samson226

Samson226 Guest

Feb 23, 2017

Took the social studies content test and scored 80. This was a significant drop off since the two prep tests I paid for with the company and 3 other tests from paid sources and all had me scoring between 95-98. Regardless, went from confident to anxious about my score as it seems to be on the fence for my required 157. As a note, I was a little surprised by the specific nature of some of the questions. The expectation to remember people who only seem to be significant for this test really threw me off. Oh well, I can only hope for the best.

23. samg

samg New Member

Apr 13, 2017

Question! I just took the S.S Content Knowledge 5081 and the Raw score given to me was 144. Does that mean I need to reschedule the exam to take it again. I am unsure as to if the raw score correlates to the actual pass or fails core of 156.

24. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Apr 13, 2017

raw scores don't translate to actual final scores so I would wait. I got a score I thought was failing for sure but still passed. hold out hope! :)

25. Amalia

Amalia Guest

Apr 19, 2017

Hi,
    I failed the praxis 5081 test twice and I'm wanting to know what study materials I can use to help me pass the test. I need a 154 to pass. I have purchased many online sources and books that promises to be effective in passing the test but none has worked. Any recommendations? I have used certify teacher and mometrix but both don't work. I've looked at online sources such as teaching solutions or exam edge but don't know how effective they are. Please advise if you have used these products.
    Thank you.

26. Apr 21, 2017

Hi, Amalia and others -- I am studying for SS 5081. After a long career with the federal legislative branch, I have decided to enter the teaching field. I am applying for the Fall Career Switcher program in my state and passing Praxis II scores are required for entrance. I bought one 5081 Praxis exam book and started studying from that. It was overwhelming to me. So, last week, I enrolled in teacherstestprep classes to help. I'm enjoying the videos so far and think they are excellent refreshers. For me, I think it's helpful to hear information and be able to take notes from the videos. I have not yet taken the test and do not know if/how this preparation will help me pass. I hope to take the test in about a month -- after studying about two hours a night for that time period. If you like, I will followup and let you know how I do. Good luck!

27. ssimison

ssimison Guest

Apr 28, 2017

So have you found out whether you passed or not? If so what does a 144 convert to as scaled score?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2017
  28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 29, 2017

5081 consists, I believe, of multiple choice questions (four possible responses), and the total number of questions is 130. Your 144 can't be a raw score (that is, the score that results from counting one point per correct answer), because 144 is more than 130. It follows that 144 is a scaled score. Hugs, samg.

29. TMJR

TMJR Rookie

May 7, 2017

Has anyone taken the 5081 recently? I took it two weeks ago and got a 151 (I need a 157); my raw score was 57. Anyone have any idea how many more I need to get correct to pass with a 157.

30. Pietro Leone

Pietro Leone New Member

May 22, 2017

Hello. I'm scheduled to take the 5081 in June. Did you have any tips for prep for this exam?

31. TMJR

TMJR Rookie

May 22, 2017

Well, the sections that were most difficult for me were World History, Geography, and Economics. So I've spending time working on those areas because I need more points for those. The Geography and Economics were hard. You either knew the answer or you didn't. I've been using the Mometrix Study Guide, and I've also used Khan Academy. The Mometrix book was not majorly helpful for me. It may be for you, but I didn't like it. Khan Academy has good information--AP US History, AP World History, and Economics.

32. TeachandCamp

TeachandCamp Guest

Jun 1, 2017

Hello!
    I just finished this exam and the final screen gave me a score of 165. Does this mean I already have my scaled score? The total for my subject area scores was 72. I need a 161 to pass for the state.
    Thank you!

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2017

Your 72 is your raw score, at one point per correct answer. Your 165 is your unofficial scaled score; it will almost certainly not change on your official score report, unless some testing anomaly is uncovered, so let me offer you unofficial congratulations.

34. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 1, 2017

For geography and history in one package, and for a useful resource for your future teaching, let me recommend getting hold of a good historical atlas. Barnes & Noble occasionally carries either the Times Complete History of the World or the Times Compact History of the World as fat gift books in the bargain section. DK, also known as Dorling Kindersley, has a fine choice under the title Atlas of World History that, I believe, has been updated fairly recently. Each consists of double-page spreads of maps with explanatory text, a sprinkling of graphs, and often artwork of the period and region covered by the map. Other possibilities also exist; you can certainly find a good one new for $50 or used for much less.

35. Nicholai Ivanitsky

Nicholai Ivanitsky New Member

Jul 19, 2017

Took my test today. In Annadale, VA. It is D.C. Area.
    It proved to be more difficult than those offered by most study books.
    Perhaps it was more difficult for me as English is not my native language. Though sometimes I really don't know which one I know better: my native Russian or English.
    Anyway. Unlike tests I took in study books, today I had deficit of time. Which is the strong indication of difficulty.
    Unofficial score was 177. Sounds not bad. But after eight years at the Moscow State University and a lot of various experiences (teaching; non-profit; for-profit, etc.) - it was a little disappointing.
    To be compliant with ETS rules:
    - timing;
    - U.S. History: SCOTUS landmark decisions and be good in knowing all 27 Amendments; knowing the terms of presidents is helpful (immediate reference to an era).
    World history. Here I can't help. It was so simple (for me) that I even don't remember questions.
    Economics was also simple for me, as much as Geography.
    Economics is given in study books pretty well, in reasonable volume and with all necessary terms.
    Geography - it is a traditional "weak spot" in the U.S. education. Just pay attention and time.
    Behavioral Science was mostly guessing.
    Good luck!

36. tchr4vr

tchr4vr Comrade

Aug 5, 2017

I took it yesterday, received a score of 173. Need a 161 to pass. Not a history teacher, nor a history major. I thought the test was very easy, although I was surprised how little there was on things I would think you would cover in a high school classroom - presidents, the constitution, treaties, court cases. It was mostly general knowledge stuff, very few specifics. Let's put it this way--if I was teaching a history class right now with the info I used for the test--I would not be doing a good job. I am a little shocked at how bare bones the test was--I thought it would be more in depth for the content knowledge.

37. Nicholai Ivanitsky

Nicholai Ivanitsky New Member

Aug 5, 2017

I think the purpose of the test is exactly this: to be sure that testers do know the minimum. They can't ask questions like " Where the first eight-hour working day was legally established?" There is another test where interpretation is needed.
    Anyway. I should admit that the test does work it's designed for.