Praxis 5081 Social Studies Content Knowledge Exam Question

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by DRuggles, May 15, 2015.

1. DRuggles

DRuggles Rookie

May 15, 2015

Hey all, this is my first post on this board. Little back story....I am a History/Education graduate (2005) who never passed the Social Studies Content Knowledge Praxis. I got into the family business of Real Estate appraising. I last took the test in 2010-2012 range. Business is going well, but not passing this exam really weighed on me. Last month I signed up for the exam and studied hard. I just finished the exam this morning. Instead of going to my old college for the paper exam, it is now computerized. Going into the exam, I took a bunch of practice exams that were offered from Praxis (the recent one and the one they offered from 2010-2012 that I still had). Both of these practice exams give the "Raw" score as well as the area break down. I had an old Score Conversion Table (from Praxis).

Anyway....I take the computer exam this morning. I knew I wouldn't get the total score of the "pass/fail" afterwards....however, at the very end, it gave the "Raw Score" of having each category (US History, World History, etc. etc.) with my score after it. The total combined number was 80 (16-17-16-6-16-9 for all the subjects, respectively). Now, on the old Score Conversion Table from Praxis, this is a Scaled Score of 168 (btw, I need a 156 to pass). I called the Praxis Center and they said that was my RAW score, but they would be grading it (each question is weighted differently).

My question is....should this be close to or good enough to pass? ANY feedback would be greatly appreciated as this as been a big hurdle in my life! Thank you in advance! :)

3. DRuggles

DRuggles Rookie

Jun 5, 2015

Update*** Just got the results back and passed! My raw total was the same of 80...however the raw points available wasn't 130...it was 115. So I'm guessing there were 15 practice questions? My final score ended up being a 161. So thrilled and relieved. Feels like 10 years after I technically graduated...today I officially graduate. Good luck to all those waiting on their scores !

4. soxfan94

soxfan94 Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

Hey I got a 78 out of 130 on the test last week. I need a 153. Do you think I passed as well?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 23, 2015

DRuggles, sorry I missed this: congratulations on passing! Thanks also for clarifying for us how many questions are non-scoring. (I for one wouldn't expect that number to vary from version to version of the test).

soxfan94, we don't know whether the raw score correct takes the non-scoring questions into account - I mean in terms of how many questions the test software reported that you got right - though the fact that DRuggles's raw number correct didn't change makes me think that it might, possibly.

Given what we know now, and ignoring differential weighting of test questions, here's the range of possibilities, assuming that 15 questions are non-scoring:

A. The worst case
    Your score of 78 correct included all 15 non-scoring questions, which means that 15 of your 78 don't count and your score for scoring purposes is actually 63/115. That's around 54%, and even closer to the wire when it comes to passing.

B. The best case
    Your score of 78 correct represents only questions that are scored; 15 of the total questions don't count, so your score for scoring purposes would be 78/115. That would put you just under 68%, which is fairly likely to correspond to a passing scaled score.

The actuality is probably somewhere in between, but we'll see.

6. soxfan94

soxfan94 Rookie

Jun 23, 2015

So there's still a chance that the worst case scenario could result in a pass?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 23, 2015

Outside of math and science, I don't think many teacher tests are passed with fewer than 55% of points.

8. soxfan94

soxfan94 Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

Thanks! I found some other guy on this forum that took the test the same time as DRuggles and got an 82 raw and 163 scaled. DRuggles got an 80 raw and 161 scaled. Would that mean I could possibly get a 159? (with a 78 raw)

9. DRuggles

DRuggles Rookie

Jun 24, 2015

Thanks for the congrats Teachergroupie! You were a big help in explaining the scoring to me. @soxfan....yea, while I wouldn't put all weight on it....it does seem the percentage right that we originally got (80 put of 130 for a 61%) did coincide with my final score (161). It's safe to assume that could be an educated ballpark guesstimate.

10. soxfan94

soxfan94 Rookie

Jul 10, 2015

got a 163! thanks for all the help guys!

11. vateacher757

vateacher757 Cohort

Jul 10, 2015

Congrats!

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 10, 2015

Congratulations, soxfan!

13. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

I just took my test today and my raw score was 76. I am on pins and needles. I feel like that is pretty low. I need a 159 to pass. I felt like I knew most of the answers. I was surprised it was so low.

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2015

Hugs, amyf215. soxfan's unofficial raw score of 78 seems to have yielded a scaled score of 163, so there's still hope.

15. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

Care to share what was the most challenging section on the test Amy? Just curious if I'm the only one that found the geography stuff challenging.

also, did they give you your raw score, or did you just add up the total on each section that the screen showed you? I might call up on Monday and see if I can verify my raw score because I quickly memorized it because I couldn't write anything down and take it with me out of the testing center.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2015

Let's make sure we're not discussing actual specific test questions, please. See the WARNING at the top of this page: just because it doesn't mention either Praxis or Pearson doesn't mean it isn't true of both.

17. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

my bad sorry

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 25, 2015

(Hugs, bholm. This is far from the first time I've issued this reminder.)

19. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

Geography was the hardest

I scored the lowest on Geography by far. I gave me my raw score for each section and I memorized them and added them up to 76

20. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 25, 2015

yeah I am thinking I am borderline. praying I passed. I would be such a relief.

21. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 26, 2015

Yep, geography was just strange in the types of questions they asked. Not sure how I'm going to study for that if I dont' pass but imagine will get a AP human geography textbook and go from there.

I shockingly did well on econ and not too terrible on history (both 20 on each history section and 19 on econ). Just wish I had a better idea if I passed so I know how much time and effort I should be putting into studying because If I don't pass I'm taking it again in 3 weeks. Apparently it takes 10-11 business days to get a final score.

22. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 26, 2015

yeah I will be taking it again too if I don't pass. I will be buying a new study guide. I have BS in psych and felt there were hardly no questions about psych. I feel like you passed no problem. keep me posted if you get results. the waiting is the hard part.

23. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 26, 2015

Yep me too Amy. Not really sure what study guide to work from though so can't be much help for you. I went through a human geography AP book today and there was still questions on the test that weren't in the AP book which is odd to say the least.

The waiting is the hard part especially because you really don't know how much time you should dedicate to studying. I'm starting with my lowest score (8/17 on geography) and studying hard on that and then going into govt. (2nd lowest score) and then review history which I did alright in.

I'll definitly let you know how it went. I wish there was a place where everyone who took the 5081 test put down their raw scores and whether or not they passed so we could get a better idea of where we stand right now.

24. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 26, 2015

from my research I have found 5 people who took the test and this is what they said their raw scores were and what they ended up scoring:
    1. 87= 177
    2. 68=158
    3. 76=160
    4. 80=161
    5. 78= 163

I guess it all depends on which questions they throw out and which ones you answered correct that they kept. I feel like I am borderline with my 76.

25. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

kinda curious how they do scoring. Wonder if they adjust scores based on how that testing window of students did around the country, or if they adjust for all students taking the test in a given year

26. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

I would like to know too bholm. and why do they give you scores on some tests and not others? was it because this test is considered so difficult?

27. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2015

It isn't that questions get thrown out, exactly: it's that the test includes some questions that won't be scored. These questions are included so the test makers can see how real live test takers in a real live testing situation do with them: different patterns in answer choices can reveal whether the question is too difficult or badly written.

A scaled score of 152 on a given test is supposed to represent the same level of achievement on that test from form to form of the test and from year to year. Back when teacher tests were paper-based, score reports from the first several administrations of a new test (or a substantial enough revision of a test that it counts as new) would be delayed a couple of months for what California calls "score-setting activities": these include convening panels of experienced teachers and teacher educators to discuss each question individually as to how fundamental it is for a beginning teacher to know and so to work out the scale. As time wore on, new versions of the same test would be issued alongside the existing ones; they still needed to be scaled with the others, but the overall standard was already set and the customary delay of five to seven weeks between test date and score report issue date gave time enough to do this. Computer-based testing has resulted in earlier score reports and of course in display of an unofficial score at the end of the test session - leaving no time for scaling of versions. I now surmise that raw scores with no scaled score appear when a test taker has taken a new version of an established test.

28. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

Interesting way to score a test. I was almost 100% positive after taking the text and getting 88/130 (68%) that I didn't pass (need a 159). It seems like they don't score quite a few questions then on the test. I imagine 10-15 aren't even scored.

Puts me a little at ease, but I'l still study these next two weeks before I get my final score. Too bad they didn't give you a preliminary adjusted score after the test, or what a score like 88 equates to (on avg.).

29. teacherman013

teacherman013 New Member

Jul 27, 2015

I took the test in NJ and needed a 157 to pass. Took it in May for the first time and got a raw score of 75 questions right, and got a 156 score, missed it by 1 point. Just took it again last week and got a raw score of 79. Hopefully that was just enough to pass, but who knows how they do the scoring. Really don't want to take it again though so hopefully I just squeaked by.

30. teacherman013

teacherman013 New Member

Jul 27, 2015

88 raw score? You definitely passed man, I'd say minimum score you'll get is a 161

31. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 27, 2015

I am gonna be crazy waiting on these score results! I felt same way bholm. when I saw that raw score I wanted to throw up it seemed so bad I didn't think I had a prayer of passing. and I felt like I knew a majority of the answers

32. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Amy,

If you don't pass look on the bright side. All the studying you will be doing will be beneficial for you when you enter the classroom anyways, so it definitly won't be a waste of time. As much as none of us want to retake the test, at least it wasn't $500 and you only had one chance to pass. My school just wants me to pass it before graduating.

As a matter of fact, I was able to get a better grasp on world and US history from studying the past two months. Thus far here is what I used that hopefully got a passing score for me...

The AP textbooks (Princeton review, Barrons) really helped me get a better grasp on history, as I always felt that was my weak pt. The REA crash course history and govt. books are really good as well. If you have a kindle there are also books called 'no Bull history' or 'no bull world history' that is written by teachers and is really condensed and well put together. I did the best on the history section so I think these books really helped.

The REA micro and macro economics book on Amazon is supposed to be really good as it is written by a well respected AP HS econ teacher. Regardless of whether or not I pass, I'll be purchasing that book for review

I still haven't found a good study source for geography though.

PS - I totally agree about the raw score. Even though my score was higher than yours (I guess better probably :) I still was pretty mad initially thinking that no way a 68% could pass even if they did throw out some questions. Looks like I might have a chance though. Here's hoping you do too!

33. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

I just hope I added up the sections correctly to come to 88 :) Wish I could've printed it out after seeing the score on the screen at the testing center.

The test overall was just weird in my opinion. To many random questions mixed in (especially the geography section for me). Best of luck to you. Missing by 1pt sucks :(

34. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Ha. I felt like I knew most the answers to! I knew I bombed geography but actually thought I did a lot better on Govt. and behavioral science. I initially figured a 68% *(88/130) was pretty much a no pass, but apparently they toss out quite a few questions which is a relief.

35. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

I def agree that all the studying did strengthen my knowledge of the subjects, I just don't want to have to stress over it anymore. I start student teaching next month and don't want to have to worry about passing that test. and yes I sat there trying to memorize those raw scores lol

36. MiniKobold

MiniKobold Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

I am too. Even thought I know the scores won't be available yet, I continue to log onto my praxis account about three times a day to look and see if the scores are posted. This wait is driving me insane, especially as it is the last obstacle to finish my student teaching application.

37. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Exactly my sentiments Amy. I start beginning of Sept. and don't want this hanging over my head. You cake take the test every 3 weeks, so you sould be able to take it again late August before school starts up.

Did you find the geography section the hardest or was that just me? Last section I thought would be difficult

38. bholm83

bholm83 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Ha. I do that too. Wish they would at least give you what raw scores equate to (on avg.). I realize this is just a rough guess but probably ease our anxieties.

39. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

what was your raw score minikobold?

40. amyf215

amyf215 Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

Im thinking I could have possibly scored a 159/160 if I am lucky based on other scores, but if not I will just have to retake soon. I def scored the lowest on Geography.

41. MiniKobold

MiniKobold Rookie

Jul 28, 2015

My raw score was a 105/130. I just need the official score so I can secure this student teaching placement! I hate waiting... :mad: