Praxis 5039

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Shikha Sharma, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Shikha Sharma

Shikha Sharma New Member

Sep 18, 2021

Hi
    I took praxis 5039 five times so far and I didn’t receive any success yet. Can anyone suggest how this test is scored? This time, I received passing score in all 4 categories and my score is still 165. I need 168 to pass in Connecticut.

3. Paige A Graham

Paige A Graham Rookie

Oct 7, 2021

What were your scores on the CR or writing portion?

4. Shikha Sharma

Shikha Sharma New Member

Oct 7, 2021

I got 6/12 in CR section
    29/43in reading and maximum range in language , vocabulary and writing

5. Paige A Graham

Paige A Graham Rookie

Oct 8, 2021

You should try for an 8 on the CR. I would practice on that, by timing your responses. Concentrate on your symbolism used in figurative language. That should help you a lot

6. Shikha Sharma

Shikha Sharma New Member

Oct 8, 2021

Thank you . Can you please suggest some resources to practice for CR?

7. Paige A Graham

Paige A Graham Rookie

Oct 8, 2021

I would use blogs that have certain topics. Quora is one that comes to mind if you are familiar with that. If you are on Twitter, there are all kinds of opinion-based posts. Just pick a random topic to write about. It could be political, about sports, celebrity. Don't worry about at this point whether or not you know anything about the topic. Focus more on developing your thoughts, getting them in order and written out in a way that flows coherently and makes a clear statement on what you are saying and your comprehension of the subject. Use a kitchen timer and set it for 15 minutes. Then start typing using a word document. The more you do this the faster your typing will become, the less pressure you will feel, and the easier it will be to express your response to the material or topic. Then after you have practiced enough to where you feel comfortable with it, pick TWO topics or questions. Then set your kitchen timer to 30 minutes and write both your CR essays until you can do it in a way that answers the question and can be well thought out demonstrating your understanding and in 30 minutes. Just don't give up!!

8. Paige A Graham

Paige A Graham Rookie

Oct 8, 2021

I forgot if you purchased a study guide they should have practice example questions in the book for you. Or if you have an old English Lit textbook laying around. At some point, you HAVE to develop your comprehension of poetry or a literary piece. Maybe practice with Edgar Allan Poe or D.H. Lawrence. Like for example, pick a passage from TellTale Heart and describe the meaning of the character when he says......what figurative language is Poe using to describe(?) Name at least two symbols to uphold your claim

9. Shikha Sharma

Shikha Sharma New Member

Oct 8, 2021

Thank you very much for your help .

10. Paige A Graham

Paige A Graham Rookie

Oct 8, 2021

You are welcome. Let me know how it is going! You will pass!

11. Paige A Graham

Paige A Graham Rookie

Oct 9, 2021

You are welcome!