Praxis 5038

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by Sophitia, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Sophitia

Sophitia Rookie

Aug 29, 2014

Hi guys! I just got my results back for my Praxis test #5038. I ended up getting raw scores of 29, 19 and 34 on each section. This translated to an overall score of 175. I don't know what any of this means, can someone tell me if I passed? My official score report doesn't say anything but N/C, and I have no idea what that means

Fun fact for anyone who takes this test... There is NO written portion. I was very surprised there wasn't one, since all the study guides (including the one I purchased!) said to prepare for one. So if you are studying for 5038, focus on studying the MC portions.

The state I'm teaching in is Wisconsin if that helps. :)

Edit: I tried looking on the Praxis official page to see what's passing, and it says "f" across the board for the test category.

https://www.ets.org/s/praxis/pdf/uyps_1314.pdf

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2014

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2014

175 is a passing scaled score on most Praxis tests, but it's always prudent to wait for the official score report before uncorking the champagne.

5. TeachersKid

TeachersKid Rookie

Aug 30, 2014

I took 5038 earlier this month and received a raw score of 86, which ended up being a 180. The passing score for Mississippi (and MOST, not all states) is 167.

6. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Aug 30, 2014

I'm getting ready to take the Praxis 5038. I assume what your mean by "MC" is multiple choice or what Praxis refers to as selected response. The documentation says that the Praxis 5039 test has 2 constructed response questions.

Is it worth reviewing factual information about literature. The study guide lists 25 authors that "are representative of those you may be asked to identify." It also states there are very few identification questions such as, Which of the following authors wrote Moby Dick. Would you concentrate on these 25 authors or review a wider range of literature?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2014

Given all of literature, 25 authors is not very many: I'd know them in some depth, but I'd also review the wider range of literature. There tend to be questions that expect you to know characteristics of literary works from period X, and the question may well be asked not by naming period X but by naming authors from it.

8. Sophitia

Sophitia Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

Yup! I mean multiple choice. I was actually really surprised... I got to the end of the test and had about 50 minutes left, and I didn't review my multiple choice because I was expecting a short answer part. So take the FULL time to review your test. You will not have a short answer portion. Also be careful to submit your scores... I almost hit do not submit my scores, which would have been pretty awful. "Cancel scores" was in the same position the continue button had been for the full test, so when you get to the end be careful to actually submit. :dizzy:

I was asked a lot of questions about Romantic poets. Know the Romantics really well. I got maybe a few questions about Melville and some contemporary authors. I also remember quite a few classic authors being mixed in (Some were Dante, Milton, Hawthorn, Steinbeck, Twain). The study guide I purchased didn't help much with matching the authors with their texts, but I happened to know most of the classic authors anyway.

If I could go back and study one portion of the test more, it would definitely be terminology. Know all about terms like syntax, simile, metaphor, oxymoron, ad hominem, Socratic circles etc.

Hope that helps you out a bit. My version of the test was easier than the study guide let on, but it was also quite a bit different than the study guide.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2014

Tests like this typically exist in more than one edition or form (Praxis uses either term): the 5038 that test taker A encounters on Monday may well not have exactly the same questions as the 5038 that test taker B sees on Tuesday.

Praxis Test Companion documents and their older relatives, the Test at a Glance docs, available for free on the Praxis Web site, have pretty good outlines of what the test covers and with what balance of multiple choice and constructed response questions.

10. Sophitia

Sophitia Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

Constructed response might be something you need to know for 5039, but 5038 has no constructed response, despite what the study guides will tell you to study. Generally the outlines help you with studying, but I definitely don't recommend studying for constructed response if they don't include it in the official test. :blush:

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2014

Let me rephrase, then, and this time in reverse order:

1. 5038 doesn't have constructed response questions, true - and the Test Companion for it says so, though unfortunately not till somewhere around page 11.

2. Whether 5038 is heavy on the Romantics is likely to vary from form to form. There's enough to literature that different forms of a test are pretty much bound to differ in emphasis.

12. Sophitia

Sophitia Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

Ah, I didn't see notice that. It's not in the study guide I purchased (at least not anywhere I can see).

Yah, the test variations can be very different. I know there's something like 30 versions of each test, so you never know what you might get. I do think there's some consistency though (at least to an extent), a few of my questions were verbatim from the study guide, and others looked nothing like the study guide (especially how the literature questions were worded).

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 31, 2014

The first place to start for any teacher test is the free information on the official Web site: one sometimes needs to rummage a bit, but one should be able to find out test duration, number of questions, and type of questions as well as finding a list of topics that can be covered.

Did Praxis produce the guide you used?

14. Sophitia

Sophitia Rookie

Aug 31, 2014

Yah, I paid something like 30 dollars for it at the same time I registered for the test.

15. Nietzsche

Nietzsche Companion

Aug 31, 2014

Thanks, this is really helpful information. I'm certified in social studies but wanted to add the English certification. I thought I would be taking the 0041 test and bought two study guides for it. I also have the ETS 5038/5039 official study guide. I've been trying to figure out what the difference is between the 0041 and 5038 test. It seems like they have added topics like digital media and more current teaching strategies, but much of the content is similar. If anyone has taken a close look at both tests, or taken both, I would appreciate your thoughts on the differences.

16. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 3, 2014

Which Praxis test you take depends on what your state demands. According to http://www.ets.org/praxis/pa/requirements - look under "Secondary Education (Grades 7-12)," Pennsylvania is now requiring 5038.

17. ldgeorgian16

ldgeorgian16 New Member

Jun 10, 2015

College Student Preparing for Praxis 5038, AND FREAKING OUT

Okay, sorry if the heading is a tad obnoxious, but how could it be that there are barely any study books for the 5038 test? I found one on Amazon but it is so poorly rated that I don't feel like wasting my time. I'm in school, so my content is pretty fresh, but I was hoping to find something that would help me to synthesize all the info. What have you guys found helpful to prep? I've looked at the online info, and am debating buying the practice test off the ETS website, has anyone used that before?

Any and ALL suggestions would be lovely, I'm pretty nervous about this test. :help:

18. sarahbeekhan

sarahbeekhan New Member

Jun 14, 2015

ME TOO!

Hi, ldgeorgian16,
    I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm really freaking out because memorization is not my strong suit and I don't know where to begin. My test is coming up really soon and I'm afraid I'm not well versed in the books or genres, or anything! Aghh!

19. ECE1234

ECE1234 Rookie

Mar 14, 2016

SOME OF MY QUESTIONS REQUIRED MORE THAN JUST AN (ABCD) ANSWER. SOME QUESTIONS I HAD TO CHOOSE MULTIPLE ANSWERS. ARE THESE QUESTIONS WORTH MORE THAN 1 RAW POINT?

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 14, 2016

I've answered this elsewhere, ECE1234. For the record, it's not necessary to post in multiple threads to get an answer.

21. atombuilder

atombuilder Rookie

Apr 14, 2016

Hello guyz,
    what my raw should be to get the 167? thanks I mean how many question should I answer to pass?

22. atombuilder

atombuilder Rookie

Apr 14, 2016

sorry but that's for the 5038