PRAXIS 5018 Pass/Fail Question

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by KKCM, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Coloteacher

Coloteacher Rookie

May 1, 2016

I'm planning to buy the praxis online test. Im taking the test next Saturday. Any help / tips would be highly appreciated.

2. Coloteacher

Coloteacher Rookie

May 1, 2016

I'm taking praxis 5018 on 7th May. SS is my not so strong area. What do they ask normally? It's my first time. Thanks .

3. juju7997

juju7997 Rookie

May 1, 2016

Overall score is required. ELA and Math have the most questions. SS and Science are so broad.

Coloteacher likes this.
  4. juju7997

juju7997 Rookie

May 1, 2016

There is a total of 140 questions. 25 each in both SS and Science and the remaining questions are split with ELA and Math. You will get scores for each section but they will all be combined for a total raw score.

Coloteacher likes this.
  5. Coloteacher

Coloteacher Rookie

May 1, 2016

Thanks a lot.

6. Coloteacher

Coloteacher Rookie

May 1, 2016

Thank you so much.

7. DezMatthews

DezMatthews Rookie

May 1, 2016

Yeah....I have purchased all the materials you mentioned....and it seemed as though everything I studied was not on this test....its crazy to me....but thanks anyway.

Coloteacher likes this.
  8. Coloteacher

Coloteacher Rookie

May 1, 2016

Thanks for your inputs. I'm buying the online praxis test for sure.

9. myheartsmiles1

myheartsmiles1 Rookie

May 1, 2016

Hello, do you mind me asking what resources did you use to help you study for the 5203 exam? I purchased the Mometrix book but haven't found it to be helpful.

lynteach likes this.
  10. Coloteacher

Coloteacher Rookie

May 2, 2016

All those who have cleared 5018 recently -Congratulations everyone.
    I was just wondering SS is such a vast subject. What to study and what not? Any thoughts? Right now I'm studying a little bit of anthropology/ sociology/psychology. But not sure how much weight they have.
    My subject is science . So im not worried about that. Maths is ok too. English is hardest for me. Please share your experience. This week I'm just reviewing my weak areas and taking the praxis online practice test. My test is this Saturday. Thanks .

11. bookworm84

bookworm84 Guest

May 2, 2016

I just took the 5018 this morning and at the end it told me my score was 171 and I added up what I got on each section and it was 86. So is 171 my scaled score? I thought I wouldn't know that until the end of the month? I'm confused.

Shazelwood and Coloteacher like this.
  12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 2, 2016

Yes: you seem to have gotten both raw and scaled. This means only that the version of 5018 that you took has been around long enough that Praxis has settled on how its raw scores map onto scaled scores. Where only raw scores are given, the version of the test is new enough that Praxis is still collecting information.

Shazelwood likes this.
  13. Shazelwood

Shazelwood Rookie

May 4, 2016

Congrats!! That is awesome you did not have to wait lol it was torture!!!

14. Coloteacher

Coloteacher Rookie

May 7, 2016

So I took 5018 this afternoon. In the end, it showed 191 as my scaled score. My breakup for each section:
    Reading 35
    Maths 31
    Science 18
    Social 17

Maths was quite lengthy. It took me almost two hours to finish the first two sections. ANd the remaining time for SS and Science. Total 4 weeks of study, in which first week was mainly to collect reading material. I spent most of my time studying English and SS.. Im from a different country, so no idea of US history and governance. So I read US history , all of it almost twice and it paid off well. Science is my subject, although its not showing up in my score;) But Im happy with my results. Thought of sharing with you all.
    Thanks everyone..someone has mentioned in the previous threads about encyclopedias. I read the entire US history through an encyclopedia. I would highly recommend encyclopedias.

15. lynteach

lynteach Rookie

May 8, 2016

I just got my scores back and made a 183 so I'm happy! 5203 is mostly strategies and scenarios. Be familiar with differences in Phonics, Phonemic Awareness and Phonological Awareness. They will give you activities and ask which of these it is. I got on Quizlet.Com and there are already MANY sets of flash cards on there for 5203. 3 constructed response questions. Good luck!!!!

myheartsmiles1 likes this.
  16. myheartsmiles1

myheartsmiles1 Rookie

May 9, 2016

Thank you thank you for replying! It was an absolute nightmare studying for this exam because I couldn't find a book. I have also been using quizlet a lot! I can breathe so much easier now! Thank you again for replying back! =)

lynteach likes this.
  17. myheartsmiles1

myheartsmiles1 Rookie

May 9, 2016

I forgot to add a big congrats to you!

lynteach likes this.
  18. lynteach

lynteach Rookie

May 9, 2016

No problem! If I think of other hints I will check back in with you. I know.....there are like ZERO study aids for 5203. I really felt like it was more common-sense and actual teaching application, so it seemed a "bit" easier! Let us know how it goes!

19. K6TEACHER19

K6TEACHER19 Rookie

May 11, 2016

How did it go?? I will be taking it soon and getting tired of studying

20. RockChalk

RockChalk New Member

May 11, 2016

How did you do? We got the same score (78) on the last test, so I'm curious how you did this time. This will be my second attempt. Can't believe we missed it by 2 questions! Thanks!

21. RockChalk

RockChalk New Member

May 14, 2016

Got an 82 raw with a 166! Yes!

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 14, 2016

Congratulations, RockChalk!

23. Fantom25

Fantom25 Rookie

May 14, 2016

I'm Taking it again on Monday. Yeah, we missed it by 1 or 2 questions. That sucks!! Apparently we are getting an older version of test and will get scaled score right away! Wish me luck and or say your prayers people. This is try 3!

24. Fantom25

Fantom25 Rookie

May 14, 2016

I'm taking the same test, any advice?

25. Fantom25

Fantom25 Rookie

May 16, 2016

Remember how I asked if anyone had gone in and done worse? Well I did just that. Dropped my score 18 points, wtf?This test is my worst nightmare! I might not be able to teach in Tennessee. You have to pass 3 of these no matter how long you have been teaching, ugh!!

26. Fantom25

Fantom25 Rookie

May 17, 2016

FYI Praxis friends, Kentucky and Virginia do not require these stupid tests if you have 2-3years of experience in another state. No more of this crap for me! I'll teach in one of those states and drive to Tennessee for a visit.

27. TeachingMomma

TeachingMomma Rookie

May 26, 2016

Is there anyone left on here still testing? I am signed up for July.

28. Fantom25

Fantom25 Rookie

May 26, 2016

No one seems to be responding now because they are back to giving you your score immediately. Good luck, I have tried 3 times and still haven't passed! Actually I'm going for teaching in a different state where I'm exempt due to my experience.

K6TEACHER19 likes this.
  29. Fantom25

Fantom25 Rookie

May 26, 2016

I just wrote a reply, but think it connected with another member. I don't know what I'm doing. I have never been a forum member before.

30. myheartsmiles1

myheartsmiles1 Rookie

Jun 3, 2016

Hello lynteach! I just got my scores and I got a passing score of 176! I think that's pretty good for only studying for 10 days. WHEW! Thank you for your help!

31. lynteach

lynteach Rookie

Jun 5, 2016

32. lynteach

lynteach Rookie

Jun 5, 2016

I am so happy for you! It was more "common sense" and application, wasn't it? Congrats!!!

myheartsmiles1 likes this.
  33. DezMatthews

DezMatthews Rookie

Jun 7, 2016

I am still testing. I plan to go again in July as well. I just purchased the practice test from ETS again. I also got some material from 4th and 5th grade teachers at the school I teach at. They gave me alot of LEAP and PARCC material (tests that are required for Louisiana students). Hopefully, it helps. I need to pass this test to continue teaching. It's very stressful and frustrating.

34. CP5

CP5 Guest

Jun 9, 2016

Are they giving you back your scores immediately now? I go Saturday and I am a nervous wreck.

35. DezMatthews

DezMatthews Rookie

Jun 9, 2016

I'm not positive.

36. myheartsmiles1

myheartsmiles1 Rookie

Jun 11, 2016

It honestly was!!! I'made just so happy that it's out the way. Thank you again!

37. CO teachertobe

CO teachertobe New Member

Jun 14, 2016

Hello all- I wanted to write to encourage everyone who has taken this test multiple times and is still trying to pass. I feel your pain. I was at the point of giving up on multiple occasions, but I hung in there and I have finally passed with a 165 on my 7th (yes 7th) attempt! My previous scores were: 146, 153, 156, 159, 159, 159. I was seriously doubting my ability to ever pass or to be a teacher, but my college placement coordinator who had observed me, and my mentor teacher during student teaching kept telling me that I was born to do this, and how wonderful of a teacher I will be. So, I kept at it. Bottom line is don't give up. You will pass eventually - keep trying!

lynteach likes this.
  38. DezMatthews

DezMatthews Rookie

Jun 21, 2016

Congratulations and thank you for the encouragement. If you don't mind, could you tell me what helped you pass?

39. CO teachertobe

CO teachertobe New Member

Jun 23, 2016

I'm not sure if there was anything in particular that helped me to finally pass. I have never been a good standardized test taker, which was only confirmed with each failed attempt. I have always received good grades in school, but on these types of tests I tend to panic and have a hard time relaxing. I think I just finally decided that I had a good idea of what the test was like, and that I needed to slow down and take my time. I really tried to focus on making sure I was understanding what was being asked before I even looked at the possible answers. As many times as I took the test, I had very few repeat questions. There is just so much material that it is almost impossible to feel prepared. I always did well in Language Arts and Math, but struggled in Science and Social Studies. I still did not do well in SS the last time, as the questions seemed to be completely different than I had seen before. Luckily, the Language Arts and Math sections have the most questions. Since I knew those were my strengths anyway, I really concentrated on getting those 2 scores as high as I could. Good luck, and keep the faith!

40. DezMatthews

DezMatthews Rookie

Jun 23, 2016

Thanks so much