PRAXIS 5018 Pass/Fail Question

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by KKCM, Jan 22, 2015.

1. DezMatthews

DezMatthews Rookie

Aug 21, 2016

You only need 80 correct from what I've read in the past.

2. iTeach2016

iTeach2016 Rookie

Sep 16, 2016

Hi all! I recently graduated with my Bachelor's Degree and I am having trouble passing Praxis 5018. I will be taking the test for the 6th time in October. I took the test today and my score were as follows:

Language Arts: 30
    Math: 20
    Social Studies: 9
    Science: 16
    Total: 158

The passing score here in the islands is a 163.
    I have purchased many study guides and downloaded Math practice worksheets but none has helped me increase my score in Math. It seems like Math and Social Studies are the ones giving me grief. I am getting really frustrated because I can't apply to schools without passing scores. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. No negative responses please. Thanks.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 17, 2016

For math, have you tried working your way through Khan Academy or something like it? Click on the Subjects link in the upper left corner. Choose Math, then start from the beginning, which is counting and the like - you'll know a lot of the early topics, but don't lose focus - and continue through arithmetic and into algebra about to the topic Functions. Alternatively, go by grades. There are lots of videos, but they're short, and you can watch them again and again.

For social studies, you may need some context to help history stick. Hip Hughes History and Crash Course are two channels on YouTube that can help. You can find other help if you search the blog Free Technology for Teachers (use the search box at the top of the page, and don't forget to specify that you want to limit your search to Free Technology for Teachers). Look for resources that engage you, and don't be dismayed if you're not engaged by the resource that your best friend adored. You might also find it helpful to make a do-it-yourself timeline with butcher paper and sticky notes on your walls.

4. iTeach2016

iTeach2016 Rookie

Sep 17, 2016

Thank you Teacher Groupie! I will definitely try Khan Academy and the other resources that you shared. I appreciate it! Would you happen to know the number of correct answers for each subject to get a passing score?

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2016

5018 doesn't work that way, iTeach2016. That test is passed or not with a single scaled score, which means that a less promising raw score in one domain can be compensated for by a more stellar performance in another.

Were Friday's scores pretty consistent with what you've scored on your previous attempts?

6. nydes1978

nydes1978 New Member

Sep 18, 2016

I apologize for interrupting this conversation dialogue here, but I've been trying to figure out how to privately message on this site for a while now and have not been able to figure it out. I've been trying to figure out how to get in touch with a moderator to have my account deleted. It's nothing personal and I mean no offense, I would just like it removed please, thank you.

7. iTeach2016

iTeach2016 Rookie

Sep 18, 2016

Ahhh. I get it now. Thanks for clarifying. Now it makes more sense.

This was my score from August.
    Language Arts: 29
    Math: 22
    Social Studies: 13
    Science: 13

It gets really frustrating I tell you! I feel like i'm all out of options. But I will not give up.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Sep 18, 2016

You're not interrupting, nydes1978.

As for not being able to send a private message, forum software won't let you launch a private message until you've amassed a certain number of public posts.

As a moderator I don't have power to undo an account registration that isn't problematic for A to Z. Your best bet is probably just to stop posting. If that doesn't work for you, use the Contact Us link at the bottom right of this page to send an email to the site owner.

9. Wb2775

Wb2775 New Member

Oct 4, 2016

I just took the Praxis 5018 and was wondering if your scores on here are from the 140 question test. I'm trying to compare my raw score to yours to get an idea if I have a chance of passing.

10. iTeach2016

iTeach2016 Rookie

Oct 4, 2016

My scores are from the 140 question test which is Praxis 2 (5018). Hope you passed! If anyone else has any suggestions for study topics especially in Math and Social Studies I would appreciate it.

11. Wb2775

Wb2775 New Member

Oct 5, 2016

I hope I did too! This new test is tough!!! My raw score total was 84. For math, I got my hands on an algebra textbook and just went through it. I did best on math. Social studies is another story! Nothing I studied was on the test! Thanks for your reply and keep at it, you will get it!

12. iTeach2016

iTeach2016 Rookie

Oct 11, 2016

Thanks! Did you get your scores?

13. DezMatthews

DezMatthews Rookie

Oct 13, 2016

From previous posts that I've seen, you need 80 questions correct to get a passing score of 163.

14. Kloe3

Kloe3 New Member

Oct 13, 2016

Hello all! I have failed the Mild Intervention Reading instruction test (064) several times. I purchased the Mometrix specific book for this test. It has not seemed to help much. Does anyone know of other resources to study or tutoring? I need help with tutoring or other practices materials that will help me pass this test.

15. iTeach2016

iTeach2016 Rookie

Oct 14, 2016

Took the 5018 exam for the hundreth time today and I got a NS. My breakdown was low and I studied a variety of sources. I don't know what to do anymore

My breakdown per subject was:
    Language Arts: 32
    Math: 15
    Social Studies: 9
    Science: 15

16. Wb2775

Wb2775 New Member

Oct 28, 2016

I finally got my score and I passed!!! Needed 163, got 178!

17. lealers

lealers Guest

Oct 29, 2016

My raw scores were:
    LA: 33
    MATH: 28
    SCIENCE: 14
    SS: 14
    Got test results today, 182.

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2016

Congratulations, lealers and Wb2775!

19. jillrenee2u

jillrenee2u New Member

Nov 5, 2016

I took 5001 and got 62,26,39,38 respectively in ELA, math, ss and science. Can anyone help me convert those into what they might actually end up being. My student mentor is allowing me to use my unofficial results to apply for DT while we wait for my official scores to post, but I don't have a clue what to tell her I got!

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 5, 2016

Your scaled score in ELA will probably be very high in ELA; your scaled score in science will be lower but certainly passing; the social studies score might be cutting things a bit close and the math score is even iffier. I wouldn't begin to assign numbers, however.

21. jillrenee2u

jillrenee2u New Member

Nov 6, 2016

I'm thinking my math might be iffy, but I only need a 157 to pass Math. My social studies only needs to be a 155, and I thought it would be ok. You don't think so?

22. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 6, 2016

No: it isn't that I think you didn't pass, it's that the scores are too close to be certain that you did pass. The required passing scores you've cited improve the odds - if memory serves, the cutoff scores in some states are in the mid-160s - but the fact remains that the versions of, say, 5003 (the math test) can vary enough in difficulty that a pretty wide range of raw scores will map onto the same scaled score. So what you're hearing from me is reluctance to promise a result for which I can't produce evidence. I'd rather be wrong later than have you disappointed later.

23. Tonya0503

Tonya0503 Rookie

Nov 6, 2016

Did you end up passing Reading on the first try with your raw score of 43? Just curious because I received the same score and is awaiting my official score as well.

Thanks.

24. EKlass17

EKlass17 Rookie

Nov 11, 2016

I just took 5018 for the 3rd time. :-(.

My scores are
    ELA: 31
    Math: 18
    SS: 13
    Science: 12
    This gives me a 74. I keep seeing that I need an 80-83 to pass. :-(. Usually my score is automatic, but I got a NS today. I hate this test! I've used the ETS study guide and the old version of learning express. I need all of the help/advice that I can get. I have to pass this test by January....yes, two months!

25. Tonya0503

Tonya0503 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

26. Tonya0503

Tonya0503 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

Hi there,
    I'm no expert on this test, but I can definitely say pace yourself, read the questions even with the limited time frame that we have and study, study, study. I am set to retake Math and Science on December 7th so hopefully I pass, because if I don't pass by December 31st, I will not be able to graduate May 2017.

I hope you pass this time around, I wish I could give you more advice regarding scores, but I'm new to this as well.

Tonya

27. EKlass17

EKlass17 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

Hey Tonya! We will prevail and graduate May 2017. I've lucked up on a good math book and tutor. If I can get that score up them I will surely be ok. Thank you!!! I'm putting in all in God's hand. :)

28. Tonya0503

Tonya0503 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

29. Tonya0503

Tonya0503 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

Yes definitely, everything in God's hands. I can't afford a tutor even though my friend said he would pay for one. But my friends who took it before did say, that the questions tend to be the same. So if you collaborate with another person who has taken it, then you can figure out the answers to questions that proved difficult for you.

Do you know how many questions we have to get correct on the Math and Science in order to pass?

Tonya

30. EKlass17

EKlass17 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

My tutor is a neighbor who is helping me for free. Thank God for him because I can't afford one either. I believe we are taking two different test. In Tennessee, we have to take Elem Content 5018. Our test is scored as a whole versus seperate. Every time we fail we have to take the ENTIRE test over.

lynteach likes this.
  31. dmcnn10

dmcnn10 Guest

Nov 13, 2016

Took my PRAXIS 5018 test on October 3rd, got my results at the end of the month. Raw score was 83, with a scaled 177. Hope this helps!

EKlass17 likes this.
  32. EKlass17

EKlass17 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

OMG!!! This helps a lot!!! There is hope!! Reading this means everything! Thank you! :)

33. Tonya0503

Tonya0503 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

Hi there EKlass17,

I didn't realize that they were 2 different tests, I just figured it was the same test, but with a different number classification since we are in 2 different states. But that is crazy for you to have to redo the ENTIRE test if you fail one part. My first test was $170, and for every section that I need to retake it's $60 but I don't have to retake the ENTIRE test (thank God) I feel bad for you, WOW.

As mentioned before I am new to this "Praxis thing".. so when I took my test on November 1st, I saw NS - No Score (I guess).. but then I saw the above scores, so I wrote them down, and have been on the hunt to figure out if I failed or passed. According to the guy here in this forum, I passed SS, but may have failed LA by 3 points, I know I definitely failed Math and Science, but I am hoping by the grace of God, that after the people look over my LA test, my scores would equal that of passing, because I felt the most confident with that test, plus I really don't want to retake it, even though I already signed up and paid just incase I failed it.

I'm praying we ALL pass, I've cried, I'm nervous, I'm stressed out... etc. This is not an easy task, especially for me I have kid; so between working, studying to finish up this Master's, and studying for the Praxis, plus regular house chores, and helping my kids with homework and school projects, I'm going crazy... lolol.... but it will all work out for ALL of us... :)

34. EKlass17

EKlass17 Rookie

Nov 13, 2016

Right! I'm praying though! #Graduation2017

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 14, 2016

5018 is one test; the downside is that if one doesn't pass one has to retake the whole thing, but the upside is that the test is scored as a whole rather than by domain: a less-than-optimal performance in, say, math can be compensated for by a stronger performance in English/language arts, or vice versa.

5001 consists of four distinct subtests 5002 through 5005, each scored on its own: one in English/language arts, one in math, one in science, one in social studies; each is scored on its own. The downside is that one has to pass each subtest on its own, but the upside is that, once one has passed, say, the science subtest, one can focus one's energy on a subtest one hasn't passed yet.

EKlass17 likes this.
  36. emily sineiro

emily sineiro New Member

Nov 20, 2016

hi everyone! I just read through all 20 pages. I have been such a wreck. I took my praxis 5018 on Nov. 3rd, and unlike last time didn't receive my score. My raw scores were:
    reading:28
    math:26
    S.S: 8 :/
    Sci: 17
    I read a lot on these pages that you need an 80 or 83 to pass with 163. My raw scores total a 79.. of course. However- i have a classmate whose raw was a 73 and she passed with a 166 so I don't think that is accurate. In comparing our raw scores, she scored one point higher on SS, 6 less on math, 2 less on science and one more on reading. someone please give me hope lol! Unfortunately, it seems that there is just no way to 100% accurately predict how to compute raw scores to our official score. I have been so sick over this test! I was supposed to get my scores nov. 25, and they emailed two days ago delaying it until the 28th because of Thanksgiving. Ugh!!!! My college is requiring my passing scores by the 17th of december, which is when the next test window closes ( if i have to take the test again), or they will pull me from interning and bump my graduation a full semester!!!

Ugh. thanks to this forum i can somewhat breathe a little better lol. I feel I scored high enough in reading and math but my fear is that i failed by a point or two. Who's still on here and can give any advice?

37. EKlass17

EKlass17 Rookie

Nov 20, 2016

This is giving me hope. We got this! My raw score was a 74. Someone posted and said their raw score was an 83 and they received a scaled score of 177. My assumption now is that with so many people NOT passing they are shaking some things up. I will keep you in my prayers and we will all see what the outcome is next week. :)

38. Tonya0503

Tonya0503 Rookie

Nov 22, 2016

Hi there,
    I'm so nervous, I will get ny results on Saturday November 26th after 5:00.p.m. I'm a wreck.

39. EKlass17

EKlass17 Rookie

Nov 22, 2016

I think we will all get them on Monday due to the holidays

40. Tonya0503

Tonya0503 Rookie

Nov 22, 2016

I just called them they assured me Saturday.. They better not have me wait until Monday.... Lolol... I'm going out of my mind.