Praxis 5001

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by Char M, Aug 26, 2017.

1. Char M

Char M New Member

Aug 26, 2017

I am seeking Pk-3 certification in Louisiana. The required tests are Elementary Ed Content Knowledge 5018 or Elementary Ed multiple subjects 5001 in order for me to begin a certification-only program. In order to teach with a practitioners license I must be currently enrolled in a certification program. I've settled on co-teaching Kindergarten until everything gets worked out....

I took the Elementary Ed Content Knowledge exam four times with no luck in passing. Need a 163 in Louisiana and scored a 138, 142, 148, and 132. After the fourth time I felt so discouraged that I gave up and decided to try the multiple subjects exam. I took all four subject tests at the same time and only passed the ELA 5002 with 173. SS 5004 score was 142, Math 5003 score was 140, and Science 5005 was 132 (I definitely struggled here). I decided to retake SS and scored a 172 on my second try.....

Any tips for passing Math and Science? Need a 159 for science and 157 for math.... I would love to pass these tests the next time I take them.

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 27, 2017

I'm impressed that you brought your 5004 score up by 30 points: well done!

You might do well to take the remaining subtests one by one, if circumstances allow, rather than in the same session.

As for resources, it might be that you've been using test-prep materials that are supposed to be aligned to the subtests but that you'd be better served by adding some materials that actually review science or math. DK has two fine books, Help Your Kids With Math and Help Your Kids With Science, that are intended for parents who are flummoxed by their kids' homework. This being back-to-school season, I've seen these books at my local Costco for quite reasonable prices, and I bet they'd continue to serve you well after you've got these subtests sorted out. If you can't find these books, try looking for similar books at the nearest Barnes & Noble.

Alternatively, check out Richard Byrne's blog Free Technology for Teachers, www.freetech4teachers.com: fairly regularly he links to subject-matter-review sites or YouTube channels that cover the topics engagingly.

Mai, futuremathsprof and Char M like this.
  4. Char M

Char M New Member

Aug 27, 2017

Thank you sooooo much!

5. Tim C

Tim C Rookie

Aug 27, 2017

Recommend you buy Lynn Gardner's book for 5003. The books available on Amazon or the bookstore are, frankly, not that good. Her book is an amazing resource and matches the test content dead-on. I use this in my tutoring, which brings me to my second suggestion of hiring a tutor. Best of luck.

- Tim
    www.wyzant.com/tutors/timctutor

6. cschumac88

cschumac88 Rookie

Aug 27, 2017

I had to study for the Middle School math test. I could not pass that one. Luckily, our state changed the requirements and switched to the multiple level test. I used the study guides from the Praxis site for the middle school test, and the mometrix videos on YouTube.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  7. Char M

Char M New Member

Jul 3, 2018

I finally passed Elementary Ed Math Subtest 5003 with a score of 163. I also passed Elementary Ed Science Subtest 5005 with a score of 159 (the exact score I needed to pass). It took an entire school year to pass Praxis II Elementary Ed Multiple Subjects 5001 but I am happy it is finally over.

Now I can enroll in my chosen alternative certification program.

I still have to take and pass Teaching Reading 5204 and PLT: Early Childhood Education in order to finish my chosen alternative certification program and receive certification in my state. Hopefully this process doesn't take as long as Praxis II did.

8. Char M

Char M New Member

May 16, 2019

Here’s an update. Hopefully this encourages others to keep going....

*I taught for two years uncertified as a co-teacher from 2016-2018. (Made much less money).
    *2018-2019 school year, after passing Praxis II (noted in previous post) I enrolled in a certification-only program and was able to lead teach under a practitioner teaching license (was exempt from Praxis I due to having a Masters Degree)
    *During the 2018-2019 school year I actually passed the Teaching Reading exam and PLT: Early Childhood Education exam on the first try :) (I took these tests in November 2018)
    *May 2019, I completed my certification program and finally received teaching certification for my state.
    ***The 2018-2019 school year was tough. I spent the year pregnant, was lead teaching for the first time with my practitioner teaching license, took and passed the additional tests in November 2018 and passed them on the first try, also had five teaching observations and assignments to complete for my certification program. Delivered my son in April 2019 towards the end of the school year and finally received my certification in May 2019.

For those that are thinking of giving up, please don’t! Keep going!

Hope this post helps others that are feeling discouraged.

Mai likes this.
  9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 16, 2019

Char M, you've been productive in lots of ways! Thanks for posting your update and your encouragement for others.